Bethesda.net Boycott

Loveblanket

Isn't this whole conversation over because Bethesda.net is going to make Nexus impossible with iDT being the new platform or something? I thought Bethesda.net was going completely in house over a phased period? That means what you have now is pretty much all you will ever get again with Bethesda games.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this whole conversation over because Bethesda.net is going to make Nexus impossible with iDT being the new platform or something? I thought Bethesda.net was going completely in house over a phased period? That means what you have now is pretty much all you will ever get again with Bethesda games.

What's Bethesda's future games going to be based on a new Game Engine having to do with that? Last time I checked id Tech (from id Software, the creators of Doom and any follow-ups/derivatives) was even more easily moddable than Game Bryo based games.

And it'd be to their detriment, would they lock down independent open modding as well, considering how much they prospered from it by now. I'm not saying they can't do it, if they wanted to. I'm just saying they don't want to, and I haven't seen them saying otherwise so far either.

So I'm just genuinely wondering what this is about here. :ermm:

What's Bethesda's future games going to be based on a new Game Engine having to do with that? Last time I checked id Tech (from id Software, the creators of Doom and any follow-ups/derivatives) was even more easily moddable than Game Bryo based games.

And it'd be to their detriment, would they lock down independent open modding as well, considering how much they prospered from it by now. I'm not saying they can't do it, if they wanted to. I'm just saying they don't want to, and I haven't seen them saying otherwise so far either.

So I'm just genuinely wondering what this is about here. :ermm:

It was something I was curious about, I had read on other threads here that future mod tools from Beth would only work with bethesda.net and that they wouldn't release the mod tools for general use as they have been.

If they find a way to monetize modding and make it a strong business model they would clamp down on independant modders because that would impact profit models. I have no idea if this is what is happening, half of the rants I have read on the subect in these forums have been 1/4 bullstuff 1/4 wishful thinking 1/4 Angst 1/4 Conspiracy theory.

Sorting through what is actually possible, reasonable and rational is kind of the point of the threads I keep posting.

If they find a way to monetize modding and make it a strong business model they would clamp down on independant modders because that would impact profit models. I have no idea if this is what is happening, half of the rants I have read on the subect in these forums have been 1/4 bullstuff 1/4 wishful thinking 1/4 Angst 1/4 Conspiracy theory.

Sorting through what is actually possible, reasonable and rational is kind of the point of the threads I keep posting.

Monetizing mods would be like throwing fuel on the fire at this point. It was bad idea the first time they did it, and would continue to be a bad idea now.

Monetizing mods would be like throwing fuel on the fire at this point. It was bad idea the first time they did it, and would continue to be a bad idea now.

And they're going to be slowly inching toward ways to do it just because they can earn money on it. For the most part they're just taking it more slowly, and probably more forthcoming about where these mods are coming from and how the price is split. For as many outraged people as there are, there are people who are looking for a legitimate way to cash in on their mod work.

About the fuss over Beth.net:

I'm not Skyrim modder, but if I'd be one, I don't think I'd be to really upset about where and who uploads my mods as long as credited properly and noone's making any profits from it. Biggest argument here, is the fact that modders cannot support versions of their mods "stolen" from sources like Nexus which leads to tech. issues of mod users, and they supposedly getting lots of complaints on their original page about "broken mod". To be realistic, author always can slap one big disclaimer on the main page saying something like:

"I DO NOT support my stolen mod, which have been reuploaded to other sites"
Like seriously, why should any author care, if his stolen IP breaks someone game? It's their fault, not yours, right?

Now, there is another very peculiar thing: mods will still be taken from original sources and reuploaded on Beth.net without permition one way or another, then without proper support they will definitely break and cause some instabilities, "thieves" won't able to support, that's for sure, and Beth wouldn't be able to do it either. And the fun part: guess, who will get all the **** from that? Right, Bethesda, and their glorious site.

Monetizing mods? Like really? This site will crumble on itself in a notime if things keep going that way.

Edited by Signette

Monetizing mods? Like really? This site will crumble on itself in a notime if things keep going that way.

Not really. While there are those who would want to monetize their work, there are also a good number of people who just don't want to deal with that facet of mod development. There are already ways in which someone can get money from their modding, some of them even supported by this site. The only thing that isn't supported by this site is limiting access to a mod solely for the sake of people who are paying money for it. Monetization is not just a Bethesda thing, but has been considered and seen as an eventuality both by game companies as well as many sites that host mod content. The only thing here is that Bethesda has really been the only one to step forward and take a chance on it.

Paid mods will never take off for a few good reasons.

1. Mods would never be worth the prices people would ask for them. People will pay for full fledged, bug tested, official DLC.... a majority of people wont pay for homebrew with no real method of quality control.

2. Season Pass specifies free access to all DLC which would be taken to cover mods.

3. The tax being tracked on this would be a nightmare.

4. The real world penalty for not reporting the income from mods and paying tax on it appropriatly would catch up to modders eventually.

I can think of other good reasons, this tops my list.

The only way I could see money being used would be with a linden labs type exchange system and a bethesda specific virtual currency to avoid tax nightmares.

Todd Howard when asked about future micro transactions (paid mods): “How long was the payment system online? 24 hours? I can only speak for the present time, but currently there are no plans for a payment system.”

Translation: That was a horrible plan and gave our company a black eye... so no... not touching that ever again.