Extremely Bad News for PC users who live ahead of PST timezone.

bkmorton

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a new policy or just exclusive to Skyrim? Cause my cousin downloaded Stronghold 3 on steam and was playing it before it would have been released elsewhere, hell the retail version isn't even available in Aus yet. It seems to me that games unlock to your timezone and it's just that it will be the same for retail editions

It depends on the game, yes. I have had Steam games available before being released in the US before too.

Unfortunately not for Skyrim, it seems. The game I am most anticipating... ever.

yeah that is going to tick me off as well, but at least I will have time to re-install windows and refresh everything before installing the new game.

What is the fuss actually about? Europe normally gets game releases 3 days after the US so if I see any Europeans complaining about this I'll bash them. 12am PST is 8am here (or 7am, clocks go back on Sunday...), which is absolutely perfect for me. Get some good sleep and play a game all day, rather than stay up and not-sleep and see how long I last.

This is how game publishing works. And, above all, never, ever, release a game to other countries first if it's a US release. It would, no doubt, be "unpatriotic" :psyduck:

If you thought the game would unlock at different times for different time zones I'm assuming you've never bought a Steamworks game before launch? It doesn't happen. What's the fuss about!

If you thought the game would unlock at different times for different time zones I'm assuming you've never bought a Steamworks game before launch? It doesn't happen. What's the fuss about!

No, it has - my steam library is large and I have had games unlock before US versions have.

For example, New Vegas (even though the official Australian date was a few days later)... I had it unlocked many hours before the digital Steam version was (even though it uses Steam DRM itself).

So it CAN happen, and has. I am VERY annoyed it's not happening this time around, because as a rabid, frothing, fanatical Elder Scrolls fan like myself, the fact it will be 11/11/11 but I won't be able to even play Skyrim until late in the evening will be TORTURE. :P

Admittedly I hadn't seen the countdown clock on steam so I didn't know it went against past reports that the game would released at 12:00AM in each respective time-zone, so yeah this would kinda suck for those ahead going to midnight launches and hoping to jump on the game soon after. If I had been able to be in possession of the game on the release date, 7pm really is a convenient time for me to play having done my daily duties by then. But as it stands now it looks like even a week from release is the likely moment I'll be able to buy and get on the game...bugger.

Admittedly I hadn't seen the countdown clock on steam so I didn't know it went against past reports that the game would released at 12:00AM in each respective time-zone, so yeah this would kinda suck for those ahead going to midnight launches and hoping to jump on the game soon after. If I had been able to be in possession of the game on the release date, 7pm really is a convenient time for me to play having done my daily duties by then. But as it stands now it looks like even a week from release is the likely moment I'll be able to buy and get on the game...bugger.

Yeah, that is why I am angry. I had arranged to be able to play this throughout Friday during the day. I have now wasted a day off work. If I had known I would be unable to play PC Skyrim until 7pm I would have just worked that day. Now instead I am going to have a full day to grind my teeth in frustration. :P

I am hoping against hope that somehow I still can unlock it and play ahead of time, like has happened in the past.

The curious thing is I have conflicting information still (though I am inclined to believe Robert, the Steam Support techie). Pete Hines responded to my tweet saying "yes, Skyrim PC will unlock Australian local time at midnight"....

So who should we trust more??? A Steam Support technician or the marketing head of Bethesda Softworks.... Only one of them is right. Hmmmmm.

Just had an email from Game who are sending me my collectors edition and apparently they are being shipped to arrive on the launch day so I am guessing there will not be much time to get the game installed and ready before the massed requests to Steam for activation. It is going to be interesting to see how Steam handle the most anticipated game of the year in regards to the sheer volume of people trying to activate and/or download their copy :)

A few hours here or there will not really worry me although I had arranged for the 11-11-11 to be a day totally devoted to getting to see Skyrim and losing the next few weeks and maybe months playing it . I have even ordered a new purple gaming chair for the total gaming experience.. :)

I'm fairly surprised people haven't noticed this yet, as it's been clearly stated on the Steam store page for ages. It's not a big deal for me, since it unlocks at 9 or 10 am, depending on Daylight Savings (Denmark changes time tonight, IIRC), but I can see why it might be annoying for some.