Targeted damage/Damage mapping

Igetbabes

will there be targeted damage/damage mapping? for instance it causes a lot of damage if i shoot someone in the head vs just a little damage if shot in the hand or the foot

i couldnt find this confirmed anywhere and its annoying me cause it would be cool:wallbash:

This sort of thing is already done in Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV anyway, so I think they'll probably do it for Skyrim. The body of an NPC is divided into Body Parts, which have their own data such as total health, damage multiplier, etc.

That may have been Fallout, but not Oblivion, and I'm sure it's not going to be for Skyrim.

locational damage is the term most used. I'm not entirely sure OB had it... I don't remember getting any damage multiplier with head shots. But fallout had the whole system for it, where each part actually had it's own damage multiplier and actually affected the creature/actor in different ways, like crippling limbs. It's common in shooters for those head shots to have a basic implementation at least.

Bethesda didn't add Locational Damage to Oblivion because they didn't want players to feel punished for not wanting to wear armor on all parts of their body. For example some players enjoy using light armor with a hood, yet with Locational Damage that would be a sure way to ask for a headshot fatality.

I agree with their reasoning. It fits well in a game like Fallout 3/New Vegas that emphasizes firearms, but not in The Elder Scrolls.

Edited by Adrius2

I think it would have fit in well with tes. You hit someone in the arm or leg with a sword to some effect should be able to cripple them. A damage arm should result in levels of loss of skill and maybe even slower reaction time. But I guess that kind of stuff would drastically change the gameplay of tes.

I believe it should be applied to Creatures larger than Average Humanoid at Least.

I was downright appaled in OB when the Guards just slashed at Mehrunes Dagon's toes.

I was expecting to see a battle atop White gold tower with him.

-

But as i was Saying, it makes viable sense for locatonal damage to be applied ATLEAST to Large Creatures.

A hit to the back of the legs will bring the Giant lower to the ground, opening him up for an attack to the chest or neck.

Different strategies for different foes, Rather than swinging mindlessly at a Frostbite Spider as if it were an Ogre.

I love these systems! And I really hope there will be something like it in Skyrim, either by mods or by default. It would open a lot of possibilities for "realism"-mods anyway, which I think adds a fun challange to the gameplay. It would simply just force you to shield yourself and dodge incoming attacks/arrows a lot more, and make sure to always have a backup-plan and possibly a helping companion or two nearby.