ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Your #1 dislike about Oblivion?

onson

You guys have so high demands. Was there ever any game that was perfect? Every game has something you don't like. And everyone has something to complain about. But if you instead focus on the things you like from a game and not mind all the bad crap you'll really enjoy a game. If you start complaining about what you don't like I think you'll be disappointed at EVERY game.

A decent story, interesting characters, engaging dialogue, a sense of progression and choices are the basics of an RPG, Oblivion failed on all of those.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have so high demands. Was there ever any game that was perfect? Every game has something you don't like. And everyone has something to complain about. But if you instead focus on the things you like from a game and not mind all the bad crap you'll really enjoy a game. If you start complaining about what you don't like I think you'll be disappointed at EVERY game.

I think Ace Combat Assault Horizon doesn't come up with any dislikes from me. It's just such a crazy, wierd, unrealistic, obsurd, insane, fun and nutty game that I've found it impossible not to love. I mean for pity's sake it looks like Top Gun on fastforward. Likewise Forza Motorsport 4 comes up as a near-perfect sim racer. The only real way I could think to improve it is to add content, and it's got plenty already. Same for Burnout Paradise and NFS Hot Pursuit-again-near-as-makes-no-diference-to-perfect.

The only "perfect" games though in my book are an odd little sim racer from 2000 called 4x4 EVO 2. That game was waaaay ahead of it's time, with vastly detailed mechanical customisation, massive track selectionb and variety, enormous event choice and pretty(for 2000) graphics. I will always remember it with great fondness. The other being R-Type Final, last of a lineage of cult classic sidescroller shooters, but damn did that game throw some effort in. The graphics were astonishing for a PS-2 game, and with 101 jets, deep lore and backstory, genuinely interesting mission design, dazzling backdrops and multiple mission paths, it was a true gem. By no means perfect overall, but out of what they tried to create and what it could have been it was a masterpiece and a real show of what the PS2 could do-and one of the few games that was everything it ever could have been.

Sometimes though I love a game for being imperfect. Just Cause was a buggy rushed nightmare at launch but tremendously good fun. Ace Combat AS feels as though the designers were smoking something and went bananas. And in the case of the Resident Evil games, I think they're so bad they're good. You can love a game while admitingly it's flawed-I love EVE Online but would tell you it's a heap of 9 year old junk. Complaining about a game-or even a person-doesn't mean you don't like it. It means you care and sometimes you can even love a game for being bad, like Assault Horizon.

Edited by Vindekarr

I agree, no game is perfect. If there were perfect games out there, there wouldn't be much of a point in making any more of them. Every genre has a particular game that is considered the standard to which all else is compared - and the TES series of games is probably the longest standing series in western gaming history. As for me, a game I consider perfect is: Worms. Which is one of my top #5 favourite games from the 90's - and it's a real hoot to play a multi-player game where all the participants are inebriated: watch the banana bombs fly! :woot:

No games are perfect, but Dragon Age: Origins comes very near it. I only had two issues with that game. Number one, the game ended and had no new game plus or free world. Number two, Morrigan laughed stupidly when you exhausted all of her dialogue options.

Oblivion I also loved, but what drew me to it was the open world and not the story or characters.

The number one thing I want them to change are the characters. I'd like different characters with realistic voice acting and bodies, with different opinions on different issues. (So I can have a reason to like and hate dcharacters.) Deep conversation trees and character growth are most important to me.

So far in Skyrim, appearance looks good, as does voice acting. Now we just need dialogue trees with tons of branches and disposition changes/ npc opinions.

NO SERIOUSLY, I cant believe nobody said this. But perhaps its just me that plays the game a little crazy.

I like to wander around the world and if I see a "guard" or any other NPC I dislike outside of a city I murder him. Because I'm an a**hole and I want the loot.

But then when you come back to a city they are like YEAH WE KNOW YOU DID IT. What the hell, how do you know? -_-

OR if you try to kill someone in his or her house, the guard magically knows it comes to you like HEY WHO ARE YOU KILLING?!

Same thing goes for on the street, if I murder someone from behind with one blow and he didn't have the time to scream and nobody saw it ( I mean when its night ), I shouldn't be accused of the murder. Especially when I leave the place directly.

That is the most gay thing of that game ever. And there were some mods that supposed to fix it, none of those EVER worked for me.

It always seems that people think you can't complain about a game and enjoy it also. Just because we complain about Oblivion doesn't mean we didn't love it. Just because I complain about Skyrim doesn't mean I won't love it and think Bethesda is wonderful. There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws when they present themselves and hopefully eventually fixing them.

The fact that I had to mod the hell out of it in order to have a game with a whole bunch of replay value. Other than the very first time I played Oblivion, I always used mods to extend the experience. Fortunately, there were mods to use thanks to Bethesda eagerly supporting the modding community. So overall my complaint is a minor one, when taken in context.

It always seems that people think you can't complain about a game and enjoy it also. Just because we complain about Oblivion doesn't mean we didn't love it. Just because I complain about Skyrim doesn't mean I won't love it and think Bethesda is wonderful. There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws when they present themselves and hopefully eventually fixing them.

So true. Also Skyrim seems to have fixed nearly all the complaints about oblivion and added much more content from what I've seen. The true test will be on 11/11/11 though. :thumbsup: