Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

So does throttling the CPU (to 60%?) make the game or your PC unstable or something?

I know I'll at least have to lower the graphics settings but should I have to revert it back to 100% after I finish playing?

Also, does it seem to work for most of you guys?

Edited by legendzawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does throttling the CPU (to 60%?) make the game or your PC unstable or something?

I know I'll at least have to lower the graphics settings but should I have to revert it back to 100% after I finish playing?

I tried going to 70%, but I still crashed like 5 minutes in. I didn't turn the graphics down, or play in window mode... so idk.

I have upped my GPU fan speed to make the GPU never go higher than 60 degrees. So far no crashes for 2 days. Maybe this has solved it for me, but it's too early to cheer (and the fan noise works on my nerves ;)). Also in lower graphics to not "overheat" the "poor GPU". Something def. wrong with the game

Okay, so I have a program called SpeedFan... and I can monitor and set my fan speeds... but it's staying at a consistent 78-80 degrees... so how am I supposed to get it to 60?

I just put the graphs on high, AA off and FXAA on, I use the catalyst (if you're using a radeon card you can use this too) manual overdrive thingy. I set the fan speed at 48% and the degrees don't go higher than 60. Putting it at any higher speeds will kill my ears and do no good anyways. If you put your fan at 100% and still don't go below 60 then I guess you'll have no choice to wait for a patch. If this is working for me (which I'm still not sure of, it can take some time before a crash to then happen every 10 min again, haven't had much time to play yet anyway) then the game just f*#@s up the video card at heats it can even handle.

I have experienced crashes to desktop now, maybe if the crash isn't so sever due to high fan speeds, it just crashes to desktop instead of crash entirely? It is quite strange that I get CTDs now and I didn't before, but no black screens so far.

Edited by Zolexus

I have upped my GPU fan speed to make the GPU never go higher than 60 degrees. So far no crashes for 2 days. Maybe this has solved it for me, but it's too early to cheer (and the fan noise works on my nerves ;)). Also in lower graphics to not "overheat" the "poor GPU". Something def. wrong with the game

Okay, so I have a program called SpeedFan... and I can monitor and set my fan speeds... but it's staying at a consistent 78-80 degrees... so how am I supposed to get it to 60?

I just put the graphs on high, AA off and FXAA on, I use the catalyst (if you're using a radeon card you can use this too) manual overdrive thingy. I set the fan speed at 48% and the degrees don't go higher than 60. Putting it at any higher speeds will kill my ears and do no good anyways. If you put your fan at 100% and still don't go below 60 then I guess you'll have no choice to wait for a patch. If this is working for me (which I'm still not sure of, it can take some time before a crash to then happen every 10 min again, haven't had much time to play yet anyway) then the game just f*#@s up the video card at heats it can even handle.

I have experienced crashes to desktop now, maybe if the crash isn't so sever due to high fan speeds, it just crashes to desktop instead of crash entirely? It is quite strange that I get CTDs now and I didn't before, but no black screens so far.

I'm not familiar with using Catalyst. I have it, and I'm looking at it... I just don't know how to use it... I see the AA options... I don't see the FXAA option... or the manual overdrive thing... or where to set fan speeds... Sorry, I'm new to all this.

With these black screens and the fact that you had to increase your fanspeed manually I'd say there's something wrong with your graphics card and not with the game. I don't think that a patch could do anything to fix an overheating graphics card. Or is it commonly known by now that everyone with an HD6870 has that problem? If so, than I'm wrong about that. I just think if it f*#@s up your card than it should f*** mine even harder, cause in terms of raw power yours is almost twice as fast and it should take a lot more to overheat this thing.

Oh, and has anyone tried underclocking the video ram? Should be interesting to know if that works.

Edited by CaptainShiny

I tried going to 70%, but I still crashed like 5 minutes in. I didn't turn the graphics down, or play in window mode... so idk.

You could try lowering your graphics as low as possible but it's okay if you have a high draw distance so things dont just pop out of your face. Plus, try this http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=134 because it's a common fix for CTD, if 70% won't fix you, try going under it, 60% worked for me. Still, this is NOT an exact and sure fix, we're still waiting for the real one that Bethesda will release on the 28th (or sooner, I hope)

EDIT: This is a temporary fix for CTD's and GPU failing, just saying if someone would say my post is only about CTD's

Edited by njemopogi

You could try lowering your graphics as low as possible but it's okay if you have a high draw distance so things dont just pop out of your face. Plus, try this http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=134 because it's a common fix for CTD, if 70% won't fix you, try going under it, 60% worked for me. Still, this is NOT an exact and sure fix, we're still waiting for the real one that Bethesda will release on the 28th (or sooner, I hope)

EDIT: This is a temporary fix for CTD's and GPU failing, just saying if someone would say my post is only about CTD's

I'm not having a CTD problem...

I actually found out from a friend that his comp keeps crashing cuz he didn't have enough power going to his GPU. And I'm thinking that my issue is the same since I just realized I have a 500w PSU atm. So I ordered a new one (800w) so I should be in business by the time the patch arrives.

btw I use a Radeon HD 6850 (Sapphire Toxic) and a Phenom X4 965 (3.4GHz Stock) so it's not a case of too little specs.

i've said befor, i'm using a radeon X1950pro (256 gddr3) and it runs great for hours so it's not a preformance issue . Underclocking your cards and processors will not help because its not an overheating issue.

i a previous post i asked for you guys to check the windows event viewer, this is my crash info:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Windows Error Reporting

- EventID 1001

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 4

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-11-13T21:58:25.000000000Z

EventRecordID 13892

Channel Application

Computer MASTER-PC

Security

- EventData

LiveKernelEvent

Not available

C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WD-20111112-2211.dmp C:\Windows\Temp\WER-24897-0.sysdata.xml C:\Windows\Temp\WER7678.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_0_0_cab_02147695

98b69ca0-0e42-11e1-b9cf-20cf30c177b1

ok can you guys please check your event viewers after a crash and look at the details, see if there is a correlation.