Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Went ahead and joined here to add some of what I have gathered as to where/how my game crashes.

I have found that it isn't a matter of time to when mine crashes but where I am. I have flagged several areas in the Skyrim area (only place I crash, only a single black screen crash in a single dungeon has occurred to me) that make my game crash. Have tried several if not all of the fixes in this forum and none have made said areas of the map accessible to me. I get an instant crash in those areas. Generally, water or snow are in the area about 90% of the time, but it isn't always the case. Probably not informative in any way but this is what happens with my game.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is how I solved the Monitor - No signal and then crashing computer problem:

1 - I uninstalled Catalsyt Control Center

2 - I opened Device Manager then uninstalled my ati 6950 driver, verison 11.11

3 - Without restaring my computer, I installed old 11.9 ati driver. (You can get the old driver from their official site.)

4 - Restarted my computer, just in case.

5 - When it is done, I entered the game and continued from where I left.

i can confirm that going back to 11.9 gave me 30 mins without errors in ultra details. Gotta go now, will check tomorrow if it's working for more than 30 mins.

msi ex625

4GB ram

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 GH

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 - 512 MB, rdzeń: 675 MHz, pamięć: 800 MHz, GDDR3, 55 nm

You just waisted your money, bro. HD6850 with i7-920 is using less than 250W on load, so your system should be at ~230W on load. No need to get a new PSU (unless it was a no name peace of s*** one with 60% efficiency). The problem is most likely in the game not in hardware as I did not have this issue for 8-9 days and it only started yesterday.

HD6850 on load uses about 200-300w while Phenom X4 uses about 170-190w on load. I have a Diablotek 500w PSU. So that used up quite a chunk of power, plus this'll give me a good amount of leeway for upgrades in the future. Plus I'm beginning to wonder if my mobo is f**king up since I"m randomly crashing shortly after startup (and well before I play skyrim) AGAIN and my onboard graphics don't work for some odd reason. I really hope it's not the GPU though.... that would suck.

And now I shall get back to the topic at hand: Is anyone else just gonna wait for the patch to see if it fixes the problems?

Edited by JaceTiger

This got my attention. That has been happening to me to. My screen goes black and then it does come back and I get a message that my nvidia driver successfully recovered. But I'm not sure it is just the game, this has happened a few other times when I am working.

Asus Crossfire IV Formula motherboard

Phenom II T1055 six core AMD

Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM / 16 Gig

Zotac GeForce GTX 560 TI

Creative Labs Supreme FX XFI audio

Win 7 64 Ulitmate

Maybe I'd better look into this further. :unsure: Good question.

Seems like the randomized crash suffered by other users of Bethesda titles. The problem for many stemmed from the installed audio/video 'Codec' and filters

This little program will allow you to check out what audio/video 'Codec' and filters are installed on a system. - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

with additional options to disable/enable audio/video 'Codec' and filters.

Seems like the randomized crash suffered by other users of Bethesda titles. The problem for many stemmed from the installed audio/video 'Codec' and filters

This little program will allow you to check out what audio/video 'Codec' and filters are installed on a system. - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

with additional options to disable/enable audio/video 'Codec' and filters.

I'd love to know more details about this, what exactly would be happening between the codecs and the game, that makes it crash like that (assuming, theroically, it's the same error)? I'm simply curious, if it's not problem for you to explain briefly. Thanks.

Edited by elopjd

This got my attention. That has been happening to me to. My screen goes black and then it does come back and I get a message that my nvidia driver successfully recovered. But I'm not sure it is just the game, this has happened a few other times when I am working.

Asus Crossfire IV Formula motherboard

Phenom II T1055 six core AMD

Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM / 16 Gig

Zotac GeForce GTX 560 TI

Creative Labs Supreme FX XFI audio

Win 7 64 Ulitmate

Maybe I'd better look into this further. :unsure: Good question.

The 'nvidia driver recovered' message was something I was getting, but I think I've fixed it.

Specs:

OS - Win 7 64 bit

CPU - Intel Core i5 2400 3.10GHz

VGA - Gigabyte GTX560Ti (GV-N560OC-1GI)

MBOARD - Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H motherboard

RAM - 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600CL9 RAM (2x4GB)

I had this PC built for me about 2 months ago, and had a few old games like Crysis, Far Cry which had the error occuring on. I didn't have time to troubleshoot my old games, but only this last week have I been trying to play Skyrim on it. I was getting the driver error, and tried a few things to remedy the issue. I tried the various published tweaks, none of the ones I tried worked:

- Lengthening the TDR timeout in the registry

- Turning off TDR. (Turning it off just meant that the PC locked up hard instead of the app crashing to desktop)

- Changing the Phys X rendering in the NVIDIA control panel from Auto to specifying the GPU by name

- Changing the slider position for 3D settings in the NVIDIA control panel midway between quality & performance

- Uninstalled the 285.xx drivers, and went to 275.xx. (That helped a bit, the errors weren't quite as frequent, but they still happened a lot.)

- changed the global setting in the NVIDA control panel for the power management, from auto to 'performance' (sorry, not in front of the PC at the moment so I don't recall the exact name of the value changed)

I then downloaded the Gigabyte overclocking utility for the board, "Easy Boost" (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3707#utility). I used the utility to drop the Core, Shader & Memory clocks by about 10% each. Skyrim has been fine for the last 8 or so hours of play.

It peeves me that I have to underclock the card to get it working correctly, but at least it's working.

Hopefully this helps other Gigabyte NVIDIA card users who are having this issue.

EDIT TO ADD: Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I haven't read all of the 40+ pages of this thread yet !

Chris

Edited by cheeley

ok just so everyone knows what we (or in some cases -I-) have tried

Underclocking

Overclocking

Changing .ini file

Using more RAM

Changing audio setup

Changing video setup

Playing offline

Playing online

Using various mods

Using no mods

Praying to our deities

Praying to other deities

Making up deities to pray to

Offering our progeny through at least 2 generations

Offering other people's progeny through at least 2 generations

Updating drivers/riders/chauffeurs

Rolling back drivers/riders/chauffeurs

Rolling Stones

Rolling down a hill

Spinning in place

Clicking our heels

Blood Magic

Arcane Magic

Defragging

Refragging

Unloading

Reloading

Screaming at our computers and/or monitors

AND FOR THE REALLY ADVENTUROUS!!!!

Waiting patiently for a patch to fix the issues

If it sounds silly, stupid, or crazy... well that's because I'm silly, tired, and crazy.... and now I'll never get the bloodstains out of my computer... though they give it an awesome look.

Edited by JaceTiger

ok just so everyone knows what we (or in some cases -I-) have tried

Underclocking

Overclocking

Changing .ini file

Using more RAM

Changing audio setup

Changing video setup

Playing offline

Playing online

Using various mods

Using no mods

Praying to our deities

Praying to other deities

Making up deities to pray to

Offering our progeny through at least 2 generations

Offering other people's progeny through at least 2 generations

Updating drivers/riders/chauffeurs

Rolling back drivers/riders/chauffeurs

Rolling Stones

Rolling down a hill

Spinning in place

Clicking our heels

Blood Magic

Arcane Magic

Defragging

Refragging

Unloading

Reloading

Screaming at our computers and/or monitors

AND FOR THE REALLY ADVENTUROUS!!!!

Waiting patiently for a patch to fix the issues

If it sounds silly, stupid, or crazy... well that's because I'm silly, tired, and crazy.... and now I'll never get the bloodstains out of my computer... though they give it an awesome look.

Thank you for posting this. I helps a lot.

I think I have found my problem. I'm almost certain my system is overheating. I clocked it at 96 degrees during gameplay, and 70 degrees when the game is off. I got a cooling mat for my laptop, and the problem is gone.