Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Ah, ok. Now I get it. I forgot to factor in the the efficiency. I think my current one has a 80% efficiency (it says) but for some reason I can only get stable power if I remove 2 of my fans and my backup HDD.

I figure I'll keep the one I have now as a backup. Also I don't OC the CPU much (it's a Black Edition, I just don't want to have to upgrade the cooler atm) though it sits about about 40oC most of the time. Which my friend told me that it could also be the mobo (Biostar Motherboard TA790GXB3) isn't allowing the PSU to properly maintain the correct amount of power to the CPU.

Either way, if it IS the mobo that's causing me so much grief, I won't buy a Biostar mobo again. It's the third one I've gotten (One I had to RMA to get current one).

Edited by JaceTiger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to add to this confusion, but a word on PSU's. More often then not, folks buy by 'price' and not specifications. Reading these last few posts it is obvious that there is a good understanding on efficiency and such, but there is also one other point I'd like to make. My PSU is a Corsair 850 watt unit. It is capable of providing 60A (amps) on the 12 volt leg, which should be ample for my system.

Why do I bring this up? Some folks (as I said) buy by price and not spec. They may see a 800 watt PSU for (example) $40 and think they found a good deal. Probably not...read the specifications on the PSU before you buy. Now days, most video cards require a 12V leg that can provide at least 25 - 30 amps..if not more. The cheaper ($40) may only be able to provide 15A on the twelve leg...but still might be rated as a 800 watt PSU.

So, the cheaper unit is bought and installed, mr. gamer starts into his game and the system keeps crashing...why? The video card (under load) is drawing a lot of current in the game and the PSU can't supply it...it resets itself shutting down the entire system. In my system, my video card is drawing a lot more current then my AMD six core, not to mention all the other goodies I installed on my system.

So just a word to the wise, if any of you build your own system or replace your parts on your own, always look for a good price of course, but read the specifications, do the research before you buy. Find out what kind of current you video card requires on the 12V leg and go from there for a start. And in most cases, it is true...you get what you pay for, eh? :thumbsup:

So remember, the specs on your video card may just say...requires 400 watt minimum (PSU)..it may not say anything about current or amps required on the 12V leg....find out.

Edited by BarefootWarrior

The 4GB patch thingy worked for me, but only worked on the bypassed exe in the game folder, i still get the occasional CTD but much much less, my audio settings are (max) 96KHz and 24bit, and the audio fix only worked for a few, didn't work for most, i think the people it did work for are going to bleat about it more.

The 4GB patch thingy worked for me, but only worked on the bypassed exe in the game folder, i still get the occasional CTD but much much less, my audio settings are (max) 96KHz and 24bit, and the audio fix only worked for a few, didn't work for most, i think the people it did work for are going to bleat about it more.

What 4gb patch? Was this to fix the CTD problem or the black screen/shutdown problem?

What 4gb patch? Was this to fix the CTD problem or the black screen/shutdown problem?

Zolexus should post something like "THIS IS NOT A CTD THREAD !!! " in the OP ^^

I'm avoiding the Diablotek brand of PSU's for at least a few years...

current PSU (Diablotek) specs: +5@25A, +3.3V@20A, +12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, [email protected], [email protected] (ordered from Amazon so it doesn't obviously list stuff like that)

New PSU (Raidmax) specs: +3.3V@24A, +5V@30A, +12V1@34A, +12V2@34A, +12V3@34A, +12V4@34A,[email protected] ,[email protected] (Ordered from newegg so I can get a good amount of reviews)

mind you I don't know what half of those mean, but from what I heard about my current one... it's closer to 300w than 600w (was looking at wrong invoice at the time of reporting 500w)

either way, the one I have works... and previously worked well, but for some reason the rig is shutting down completely (fans, cpu, everything) and I have tried 3 power cords for it, so they're not to blame. Also gonna order a new mobo (as much of a pain in the ass as THAT is gonna be) so any suggestions for a good AM3 board that's less than 150 USD?

and back on topic: Placing bets on Skyrim patch fixing the majority of game-breaking problems for PC!

Odds are 13:1 that it'll allow 80% or more to play!

I'm avoiding the Diablotek brand of PSU's for at least a few years...

current PSU (Diablotek) specs: +5@25A, +3.3V@20A, +12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, [email protected], [email protected] (ordered from Amazon so it doesn't obviously list stuff like that)

New PSU (Raidmax) specs: +3.3V@24A, +5V@30A, +12V1@34A, +12V2@34A, +12V3@34A, +12V4@34A,[email protected] ,[email protected] (Ordered from newegg so I can get a good amount of reviews)

mind you I don't know what half of those mean, but from what I heard about my current one... it's closer to 300w than 600w (was looking at wrong invoice at the time of reporting 500w)

either way, the one I have works... and previously worked well, but for some reason the rig is shutting down completely (fans, cpu, everything) and I have tried 3 power cords for it, so they're not to blame. Also gonna order a new mobo (as much of a pain in the ass as THAT is gonna be) so any suggestions for a good AM3 board that's less than 150 USD?

and back on topic: Placing bets on Skyrim patch fixing the majority of game-breaking problems for PC!

Odds are 13:1 that it'll allow 80% or more to play!

Looking at your posted specifications on your PSU, I see four 12V legs, each rated at 34A (amps) and then you go on to say that it shuts down. If you look at my previous post it may explain what is happening. I don't think (from what you have posted) that you PSU is strong enough to handle your system, it 'trips' out because it can't handle the load and then has to reset itself. I'm guessing to be sure, but reading the specs...that is what it sounds like to me.

Reverting to 11.9 seems (knocks on wood) to have fixed the issue for me.

thought so too..played for 2 hours last night without a problem..also added the enb patch mentioned earlier which cranked my settings to ultra (auto detect was on high before) with good fps

but then I got the good old blackscreen back and went too bed..gonne try to deinstall dx11 and reinstall dx9 now

Uh, haven't gotten the Raidmax one yet... the Diablotek is the one I was using. Are you telling me the one I just spent 125 USD might not even work?!

The 600w (previously thought it was 500w due to me mixing up invoices) keeps crapping out on me. It'll randomly stop working altogether.

The 850w (which I should get tomorrow) is HOPEFULLY powerful enough to handle my power needs.

...then there's the mobo... which is beginning to piss me off. Half the time it boots, half the time it doesn't get to bios before crapping out and screaming.