Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Did one of you guys experienced a fix from 1.2 patch?

What's wrong with bethesda? They prioritized the dead bodies in wedding but didn't actually fixed the game.

I would say not so much as from an update but i too experienced the black screen of death SINCE LAUNCH and only until i custom built a rig (not all that better than the laptop i originally installed skyrim on) i was only able to play a total of 2 hours for the first 2 weeks but now will a fresh system the same exact game installed from disk works 100% no problems no black screen CTD or anything of the sort and have since logged approx 20 hours so i will list my previous parts of my old rig to the new and maybe it will help or provide some insight i too still think its a game issue and not a hardware issue but....

OLD RIG intel i-7 3.0 processor

AMD 5660 series graphics card

4 gb of ram

windows 7 64bit

New rig AMD phenom II X6 processor

NVidia geforce gt 560

4gb ram

windows 7 64bit

all else is the same oh and the temps are right about the same as far as i can tell i will continue to experiment with the old rig to really see the differences and hopefully find a new solution...

so with that said all it took is a completely new rig for the game to work properly....good job bethseda awesome testing you guys have done...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm simply another poor soul whose skyrim experience has been utterly ruined by full PC freezes that require a hard reset, endangering my beloved hardware. My specs are as follows:

GPU: Geforce 9500gt xfx edition (more ram than vanilla)

CPU: Phenom 2 X4 955 (quad cores at 3.2ghz)

RAM: 12gigs G.skill/Mushkin

HDD: 250gig with 70gig slave

Audio: Integrated realtek on gigabyte 870 mobo

PSU: BFG 500watt

For the first several days, ( around 20-30ish hours ) skyrim ran perfectly stable. I overclocked my gpu- which never became particularly hot, got decent fps and had *no freezes*. I believe I had the 1.1 patch for most of that. I had two characters both just below level 20. Then the freezes started happening. At seemingly random times whilst playing skyrim my PC will freeze up completely. Sometimes I can trigger it myself with certain actions like using Storm Call and then running around. Sometimes it takes a few Storm Calls :( . As first post mentions this isnt a ctd- that would be far more preferable.

I've been trying to fix skyrim ever since. I've tried countless ways of messing with the .ini files, re-installed many times, tried many of the different graphics "fixes" like enb and have put my sound on every available suggested setting. I've tried running it as a window, turning all Nvidia settings off, turning vsync off and everything in between. I've tried all sorts of memory adjustments from initially using C++ explorer to edit the file header myself to using the LAA exe that's become so frustratingly popular amongst people experiencing vaguely similar problems to mine. I've done absolutely everything in my knowledge to fix this problem; from updating my drivers, to rolling them back, to unplugging my freaking usb devices.

I would love to hear of any tweaks that do not involve any of the "fixes" I've mentioned above. Been scouring the internet every day for weeks now looking for a solution to my non-overheat, non memory usage, non audio problem and the only scrap of info that correlates to my freezing is this post. Unfortunately despite the original posters wishes I've had to scan through a myriad of "Hey this imbecilic audio fix worked for my launch error" posts.

I must repeat, in its own little paragraph, this is *not* an audio, memory, driver, hardware, .ini settings or graphics error. And: while this freezing issue may cause problems with aforementioned categories I'm almost 99% sure that it stems from the buggy engine itself and will require an official patch. Still, like I said, I would love to hear about anyone who has experienced the same issue and- by some miracle- fixed it. I will worship their post.

PS: Do *not* get the 1.2 patch. Had to do yet another re-install courtesy of bethesda when my dragons started flying backwards/mach 2 and refused to fight.

Edit: I forgot to mention that now when I overclock my gpu, even minimally, skyrim will freeze in minutes. The gpu never exceeds 55-60c. It is *not* overheating and OC's fine with other games such as the Assassins creed series on max graphics with all sorts of enhancements from the nvidia manager.

Also I read somewhere, (maybe here?), that after level 20 skyrim becomes unstable. My characters levels are 46 and 56.

Edited by kwantome

LOL

i am sorry but i am even happier i refunded like 3 weeks ago. i knew this would happen.

WTF are you guys doing

REFUND

REFUND

REFUND

the damn game, all of you. maybe they will notice.

and buy the game in 3-5 months for 20 bux.

dealing with this BS is an absolute joke. you've now waited basically a month for this s***?

someone needs to go to Bethesda and slap their managers around a bit.

We are PC users. We don't wait for the studio to fix it. If it's broken, we fix it ourselves. If it can look better, we make it look better ourselves. If it can run smoother, we make it run smoother ourselves. This is one of the many things that sets us apart from console users. While they often have to wait to get what is broken fixed, we get it working first, often putting the studio developers to shame. Look at things like Oblivion Graphics Extender, Robert's Body replacer, HGEC Body replacer, Moonshadow Elves, Deadly Combat and so many others. Just like every fault with Oblivion is being fixed, and continually expanding, we will fix Skyrim. It's a question of when, not if.

FOR ANYBODY WHO HAS JUST FOUND THIS THREAD:

THIS IS NOT A CRASH TO DESKTOP OR "MY MENU DOESN'T SHOW UP WITH THE LATEST PATCH" THREAD.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT THOSE PROBLEMS IN HERE.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT FULL SYSTEM CRASHES.

THAT MEANS THE COMPUTER STOPS RESPONDING.

WE DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CTD FIX.

WE DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR MENU.

WE DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR DOG. OR CAT. OR FISH.

PLEASE STOP POSTING ABOUT THOSE IN A THREAD ABOUT FULL SYSTEM CRASHES.

Edited by dreigner

Experiencing the same problem, random computer freezes after which i have to reboot pc. Sometimes its after few minutes of gameplay, sometimes after half hour, at first mostly in open areas, now often indoors too. Like everyone I was trying all 'fixes', reinstalling game, with and without 1.1 patch, graphics and motherboard drivers updates.

Got a little observation, might be just coincidence but anyway: I was fighting a dragon in open field and had crashes every few minutes so just gave up that day; next day i did graphic drivers update (to that nvidia beta driver mentioned here earlier 29x.xx) and when i loaded again and went to fight the dragon and went on in the game and I didnt have any crashes for more than an hour, I even thought it got fixed. Sadly crashes came back and started to be frequent again.

From what other people are writing (crashes stopped after gfx change) and my experience this has to be connected with the gfx card. But mine is quite old so its not just the new cards. Maybe make a list of gfx cards it happens on?

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz 1066MHz)

ASUS P5QL-E iP43 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard (realtekHD audio integrated)

Geforce 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card

4-8GB ram (been trying all combinations)

Western Digital W 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Does anyone know some kind of site that collects signatures, so people can basically go there, choose "Skyrim black screen signatures" or so, and put down their signature?

Dunno if that'd help in any way but honestly, after this amount of time no one from Bethesda has confirmed the issue or assured us that they're working on it. This is exactly the same like buying a refrigerator that shuts down every 10 min or so making your food go bad, you go back to the store you tell them about the issue and the store clerks simply ignore you and a massive amount of other people asking the same thing.

I'd give that shop clerk a good shaking. Which is probably what we need to do.

While I do feel everyones pain, I really do, there is no need for anger. Just give something to work with or don't post at all, you're just spreading the anger. Please describe your problem and system specs, rather than just coming here to complain. That's not helping the situation, you're making it worse.

Either make a complaint thread or post elsewhere, please.

Screw it....I'm downloading Ubuntu

Remember to emulate it in Wine under Windows XP and ensure that you go ABOVE the minimum. I play in windowed in lowest resolution and all graphhic set ti low/off and I still get 30FPS.