Top Posters In This Topic

i have the same problem as all of you. I tried everyting :

-updated my drivers

-set the sound to 44,1Hz 16bit

-turned off the AA and decreased the resolution, plus the quality of graphics

-turned off my firewall/anti virus

-shuted down all background programms

-tried the windowed mode

nothing helped.. I am still getting crashed and then needs to use the restart button!

I own the 6950 radeon graphic card.. A friend of mine has the same graphic card and has no problems. Don't know what else to do.. I give up and w8 for some fix from bethesda!

Anyone who is having the Black Screen Crash issue (instant loss of video, requires hard boot), try testing your video card's memory. This program found almost 3000 memory errors in my HD 6870 (though I've never had this problem before). I have to wonder if the issue is caused by the way that Skyrim allocates and uses GPU memory, and I've just been lucky to have not run into this issue before on other games.

ATI Radeon HD 4890 and I'm experiencing the issue also. It's worked great the past two days besides today. Running a dual monitor setup, playing the game on one monitor. It goes orange with veritcal bars while the other one goes green with vertical bars. Poop. I rushed through all my school work so I could play :(

Anyone who is having the Black Screen Crash issue (instant loss of video, requires hard boot), try testing your video card's memory. This program found almost 3000 memory errors in my HD 6870 (though I've never had this problem before). I have to wonder if the issue is caused by the way that Skyrim allocates and uses GPU memory, and I've just been lucky to have not run into this issue before on other games.

I have an HD 6870 too, will have to try that when I get home, will try to email Bathesda back about the problem since the last fix doesn't fix the problem.

Whatever the problem may be, I think its safe to say its because Bathesda didn't develop or test the game for computers at all. Maybe they should have released the PC version a couple months after console if they refused to develop it in parallel.

Okay, three hours after shutting off my powersave mode, the game hasn't black screened once. I'm pretty sure I've found the fix. Windows and Skyrim seem to be causing a bug where windows thinks nothing is happening, so it tries to go into powersave mode, shutting off your monitor, but this messes it all up, causing the PC to stop responding. Just turn off powersave mode, and you should be fine. Edited by LHammonds
Vulgar language edited out...see, your idea can still be conveyed without it.

Okay, three hours after shutting off my powersave mode, the game hasn't black screened once. I'm pretty sure I've found the fix. Windows and Skyrim seem to be causing a bug where windows thinks nothing is happening, so it tries to go into powersave mode, shutting off your monitor, but this f*#@s it all up, causing the PC to stop responding. Just turn off powersave mode, and you should be fine.

I'll give this a shot and report back soon, but I'm skeptical that this is the issue. It seems like if it were, then the crashes should be happening at regular intervals. Also, I had "sleep" turned off already due to a known issue with my motherboard.

I turned on "High Performance Mode," and set all power-saving timers to "never". We'll see what happens.