Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

You know i had a hunch that and tried something totally unrelated to anything that i could think of, I disabled the Purevideo features in the Invidia Control panel and the ctd's seems to have stopped.

If you have the settings ticked under Invidia use the video player setting instead, disable telecine and so on of you have it also enabled. It seemed to stopped it for me?? Wierd.

Is there already a thread about the CTDs? I'll bet the people having that issue would be happy to hear about this.You should go post it there, and see if it helps anyone.

On the subject of the black screen crashes, I was willing to try underclocking my GPU on the off chance that it was an overheating problem. After I turned down the settings, I leveled out at 41C idling, and after the crash, once I booted back up 20 seconds later (I boot off of a SSD) the temp was 56C. It must have been significantly hotter than that at the time of the crash to have cooled down to 56C that long afterwards. Does that provide any insight? (I'm no GPU temp expert)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok been getting the black screen crash etc. the last time it happened, windows (7 x64 Ultimate) spewed out a crash report like this:

BCCode: 117

BCP1: FFFFFA8001CE74E0

BCP2: FFFFF88004BCB220

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000000

OS Version: 6_1_7600

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

(thats not the exact one sadly but its the one on the microsoft web site after i researched it) But is usually caused by graphics card over heating

I then checked the event viewer and found this:

Event Name: BlueScreen

Response: (there was a link to the web page detailing the usual how to update drivers stuff, but it stopped working)

Problem signature:

P1:

P2:

P3:

P4:

P5:

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Windows\Minidump\111311-23290-01.dmp

C:\Users\Master\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-34429-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\Master\AppData\Local\Temp\WER953C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\Master\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_064bd4ea

Analysis symbol: X64_0x117_Tdr:2_IMAGE_atikmdag.sys

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 111311-23290-01

Report Status: 0

all that up there means my ATI driver stopped working... o_O

now to find out why...

Edited by monsterminty

I solved my issue, the sli beta drivers are messed up, it kepted ctd'ing to desktop, so i did the next best the and diabled sli for now, and everything seem to be a okay.

EDIT by LHammonds: This thread is about hard lockups and reboots...NOT crash-to-desktop (CTD).

Nope, didn't adjust the memory clock settings Dan. Sorry it didn't work for you but i just played again for several hours and didn't crash once - been clean all day. Probably just a random fix for me I guess.

Hopefully the patch fixes it for everyone else.

Maybe it has to go down to 600mHz to have any effect? 775mHz is my minimum. In any case, oh well, there went my weekend. With any luck, this'll be fixed in time to get some substantial play out of the game before SWTOR early access opens up ;)

As with most games that crashed, I turned off Catalyst AI and I played for about 3-4 hours with not a problem. But I also left up my GPU meters in the other screen. Seeeeeeeeveral times my GPU was running at 98-99% percent, even in small dungeons. I had the fan cranked up to 70% which is crazy loud and it was still at 60c. Something isn't right here....