Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Okay, three hours after shutting off my powersave mode, the game hasn't black screened once. I'm pretty sure I've found the fix. Windows and Skyrim seem to be causing a bug where windows thinks nothing is happening, so it tries to go into powersave mode, shutting off your monitor, but this f*#@s it all up, causing the PC to stop responding. Just turn off powersave mode, and you should be fine.

I'll give this a shot and report back soon, but I'm skeptical that this is the issue. It seems like if it were, then the crashes should be happening at regular intervals. Also, I had "sleep" turned off already due to a known issue with my motherboard.

I turned on "High Performance Mode," and set all power-saving timers to "never". We'll see what happens.

I w8 your report. If that works without damaging anything would be cool!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I might've found a fix for AMD users. I have a Radeon HD 4870 and I've played using this fix for several hours and haven't had a single crash (plenty of indoor and outdoor gameplay). Also, I'm using Win7 64-bit.

Fix:

1. Go to the Overdrive screen in the CCC (open the Catalyst Control Center --> Click Performance --> Click AMD Overdrive (accept the agreement if you haven't already).

2. Select "Enable Graphics OverDrive" so that you can edit your GPU and memory clock settings.

3. Set your High Performance GPU Clock Settings to the lowest it can go (600 MHz for me/my card) and click apply.

I noticed no degradation of quality in the game but doing this has allowed me to play crash free. Hope it works for others.

Also, I'm playing on High graphics settings, 1920x1080 resolution. Haven't tried Ultra since using this fix but may give it a go to see if it works as well so I can render from further away.

Hope it helps some of you!

guys good news bethesda is launching the next patch this week and they need your dxdiag come to the elder scrolls forum here : http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1263928-bethesda-wants-our-dxdiag-for-the-upcoming-patch/

and give your dxdiag to help them fix the problem

thats what they officialy say: Wanted to let everyone know that we are working on the next update for the game. Once we have more information on what that covers/fixes, we'll let everyone know.

In the meantime, if you're having issues running the game, please post your DX Diag information:

To Run DXDiag:

1) Click Start

2) Click Run (vista or 7 users can just type dxdiag into the search field)

3) Enter in the Open field : dxdiag

4) Hit Enter or click OK

5) After it is finished, save the report to desktop.

6) Open the dxdiag report with notepad.

I wouldn't recommend messing with clock speed settings and stuff like that just for the sake of getting this game working. It's pretty obvious at this point that the problem does not lie with anyone's setups, it is a problem with the way the game engine is interacting with the PC's video driver. If you're just grasping at straws and trying random tweaks, you're more likely to make things worse.

A question I've seen asked a few times on this forum and others - whether this problem also happened in Fallout 3 when entering VATS. From personal experience, my answer to this is no. Fallout 3 and F:NV both had plenty of CTDs, but no hard lockups like this.

You know i had a hunch that and tried something totally unrelated to anything that i could think of, I disabled the Purevideo features in the Invidia Control panel and the ctd's seems to have stopped.

If you have the settings ticked under Invidia use the video player setting instead, disable telecine and so on of you have it also enabled. It seemed to stopped it for me?? Wierd.

Edited by Thor.

You know i had a hunch that and tried something totally unrelated to anything that i could think of, I disabled the Purevideo features in the Invidia Control panel and the ctd's seems to have stopped.

If you have the settings ticked under Invidia use the video player setting instead, disable telecine and so on of you have it also enabled. It seemed to stopped it for me?? Wierd.

I think the people having the problem described in this thread are having a hard crash where the monitor(s) go completely black and the computer needs a manual restart. A crash to desktop is different. You may find CTD solutions here: http://crashfixes.com/fixing-skyrim-crashes-freezes-errors-steam-crash-no-sound-lags-choppy-framerates/

Ya Mine is different from that, it simply exits to desktop without warning??? its the strangest thing.

EDIT by LHammonds: This thread is about hard lockups and reboots...NOT crash-to-desktop (CTD).