Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Then its highly possible that the GPU is not recieving sufficient voltage or is in the process of failing.

Skyrim is one of the few D3D9 games that actually pushes a DX10 gpu to 100% usage.

if the card is on the way out, then it's really quite disappointing since i've had it less than 12 months. as for the power draw - as i said in my previous post, the card i used prior to my current card had a much higher draw and there were no issues with power. i can play other games pushing my gpu to 100% and not have a single issue there, yet occasionally when playing skyrim i will get the black screen. the only other game that i have which produces the same sort of issue is trackmania 2 canyon when i use the track editor.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black screening is usually caused by the USER running multiple low level access sensor apps together at once, putting the gpu into an unrecoverable state.

use one, and disable gpu sensor access in the others.

evga eleet also causes a black screen (as does any hardware mon based apps) when used in conjunction with precision/afterburner.

having GPU-Z left running alongside precision and stuff is also a common cause of gpu crashes.

Like what? I BELIEVE I'm having a 100% cpu usage crash issue. I have a 620 watt power supply, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think it is temperature. It just seems to spike on CPU usage... I THINK....

I don't have any monitoring systems running. I have HW monitor, but I don't run it all the time. I used it to monitor temp a bit, made sure that wasn't the problem.

I resinstalled the program and got to play the longest I have for a while - about 10 minutes.

I had 3 things change from when it worked fine

1) bought retail version (not pirated)

2) bought new vid card (but it's better..)

3) installed a new 620 watt power supply.

So it must be one of those I in someway. I'm still toiling along.

I have the patch as well. Unfortunately it did absolutely nothing. My hard reset seems to be area or quest specific, problem is it doesn't seem to matter which quest. I was in some dwarven ruins and when I moved deeper into the level it would crash in minutes. I loaded an earlier save and left and I was able to play for 1/2 hour. I was entering the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary and it crashed. That was the first time it crashed during a transition. I have disabled speedstep and disabled core parking as well to no avail. This problem is with the very code of Skyrim. I am going to delete and reinstall it and see if that will solve my problem this time, otherwise this game is getting shelved until it works.

sorry, no, wrong

the problem is your pc and its configuration. FIX IT

i still get the hard reset black screen at certain areas and sometimes when i get poisoned.

Black screening is usually caused by the USER running multiple low level access sensor apps together at once, putting the gpu into an unrecoverable state.

use one, and disable gpu sensor access in the others.

evga eleet also causes a black screen (as does any hardware mon based apps) when used in conjunction with precision/afterburner.

having GPU-Z left running alongside precision and stuff is also a common cause of gpu crashes.

Wow, no need to be a douche elitest. I disagree with my config causing the issue. I did take your advice on disabling low level monitoring apps... Unfortunately it did nothing. My card is healthy, as is my power supply. If it's my configuration, then why is Skyrim the only program causing it to dump? Why does it seem to be quest specific? Why can I go back to those very same places after continuing on in the game and breeze through without any issues? I am no idiot and generally find the error whether it is mine or the software. If I could narrow it down to something other than the software I would try, but it is what's causing the problem, not my PC. That's why I checked the forum for constructive and varied methods for solving the issue, it is tried and true in the IT world. Posts like yours directed at me do nothing to forward the cause.

Next time, maybe it would be appropriate to say "Though this seems the case, maybe you should go back and double check your system specs as it could still be a configuration issue." This delivers the same message but doesn't have the tone of a complete @$$.

So there is no FIX? I have the 6870 HD, 800watt PSU, Windows 7 64-bit, and latest drives and etc. I tried different patches, modifications and no fix yet. Bought the game when it first came out, but I CAN'T STILL F*CKING PLAY FOR GODDAMN 15 minutes! This really PISSES me off. Either Bethesda needs to release a patch, or AMD needs to fix it with their own patch.

I can play Crysis 2, Witcher 2 on really high settings without crashing and during these moments its when my computer really heats up and starts going full blast. However when I'm playing Skyrim, i hear just a breeze, and the temperatures are stable, ~45 degrees Celsius.

Edited by MagicalFingers

I have concluded that Skyrim causes a severe graphics driver crash and corruption in the GPU that persists even after a warm reboot. This is entirely possible since Creative sound card settings such as Stereo Surround/Xpand persist even after a warm reboot into ANOTHER OS such as Linux or Mac. The hardware isn't completely reset after a warm reboot.

If you attempt to play another game after a Skyrim crash reset, it will also crash within seconds/minutes. However if you power off the mains for a minute and then cold boot, everything else will be stable again. You can even play Skyrim for minutes or hours until it crashes again.

I never had even a single crash in Skyrim until about 3 days into the game. Thus I believe it's related to the size of the save file, just like the PS3.

So i began to have this problem too, but in my case when the game crashes i hear a wierd and continuous sound and the screen is blue and black or orange and black squares. I use Windows 7 64-bit with a Geforce GTX 280 and 850 watt PSU. I have the latest drivers installed, no problems with temperature and already tryed all the fixes in this thread, but no success. I notice that the crashes occur outdoors and in the most cases when i walk looking down to the floor (in case that anyone want to test this). I just had this problem recently, before the final version of patch 1.4 i was able to play the game with almost no issues, except a occasionaly CTD.

Kurian, my save file have 3.8 MB when i started to crash and i have files with 11 MB, so i think if the size file was the problem, i had this issue weeks ago, but started just recently. You already try to start a new game and see what happens?

By the way, sorry for the bad english... It is not my native language.

Hello,

Just thought I'd help.

After suffering the very same problem and being pi$$ed off tremendously I did some searches and it seems it works:

1. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28845773&postcount=94

2. Disable VSync:

(It is very simple to do that. For that, you will have to open \Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory. And from there open the display section of the Skyrim.ini file. Now, go to bottom of that and add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of that. Save that file and you are done with that.)

After that it's been two evenings full of joyful gaming and no problems whatsoever (before that max I could play without manual reset of PC in Skyrim was sth like 15mins). I'm not sure which one of those two works but I'm too busy gaming to find out ^^

Good luck, I wish that the above will work for you too :)

Hello,

Just thought I'd help.

After suffering the very same problem and being pi$$ed off tremendously I did some searches and it seems it works:

1. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28845773&postcount=94

2. Disable VSync:

(It is very simple to do that. For that, you will have to open \Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory. And from there open the display section of the Skyrim.ini file. Now, go to bottom of that and add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of that. Save that file and you are done with that.)

After that it's been two evenings full of joyful gaming and no problems whatsoever (before that max I could play without manual reset of PC in Skyrim was sth like 15mins). I'm not sure which one of those two works but I'm too busy gaming to find out ^^

Good luck, I wish that the above will work for you too :)

It worked!!! I love you man!!! I played for 2 hours straight without this bug! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!!! :D :thumbsup: :biggrin: