Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I had a similar issue someyears ago with my old computer, whenever I played games my computer would just shut down and black screen with computer is going to sleep, I went to the power options and putt it to not sleep ever, still happened, checked on the internet people have this problem sometimes even with simple videos and there was no answer.I upgraded my graphic card and I discovered that my PSU wasn´t enough for my older graphic card, so I asked the tecnition if that could cause the weird problem, he said he never heard of such problem but yes if the card couldn´t get enough energy it would shut down.So my advice would be check you graphic card and PSU and check how much does your graphic card needs from the PSU.I´m no computer expert but thought this could help you because when I changed my graphic card I also changed my PSU and now all is working well.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar issue someyears ago with my old computer, whenever I played games my computer would just shut down and black screen with computer is going to sleep, I went to the power options and putt it to not sleep ever, still happened, checked on the internet people have this problem sometimes even with simple videos and there was no answer.I upgraded my graphic card and I discovered that my PSU wasn´t enough for my older graphic card, so I asked the tecnition if that could cause the weird problem, he said he never heard of such problem but yes if the card couldn´t get enough energy it would shut down.So my advice would be check you graphic card and PSU and check how much does your graphic card needs from the PSU.I´m no computer expert but thought this could help you because when I changed my graphic card I also changed my PSU and now all is working well.

the majority of new PCs getting built now for enthusiasts have at least a 650W power supply. your post holds true for people who have older machines and are throwing new pieces in there to avoid replacing the other parts, but for new builds it's unlikely to be the case outside of faulty equipment or, in the case of some prebuilt PCs, the company trying to squeeze more money out of you by using cheap, shitty quality parts.

anyone who has been able to run an nvidia 8800 model card will know that the power draw on those were almost shameful. subsequently, the 9800GT/GTX/GTX+ cards were very much the same. both cards were also amazing performance wise. if people have been able to use those cards previously in their machines, they shouldn't have any problem with newer cards and power consumption.

again, though, it never hurts to check your parts and equipment to make sure everything is up to standard if you are upgrading an older machine.

I have a very capable system and am experiencing this problem intermittently as well:

System Specs:

ASUS P5ND Socket 775 MB

Intel QuadCore 9450 2.67GHz

8 GB DDR2 6400

Windows 7 64-Bit

EVGA Geforce 580 GTX SC

850W Power Supply (I have checked the output and it is within specs)

I have been monitoring my temperatures and my CPU never goes over 44-45 C and my video card rarely goes any higher than 65 C. I have verified my install files. I have tried the sound bug fix. I have tried under-clocking my card. I have tried removing all mods and reducing the quality in the game. I have tried Nvidia's recommendations in regards to settings as well. I have made changes in .INI file as recommended by several users. This seems to happen more in underground areas then elsewhere, but it has happened in open areas. It does seem to happen in the same areas over and over. I will play sometimes for several hours, and then it crashes when i get to a certain point. I have to reboot and when i start again it can happen at the same exact moment or it might happen 5 minutes later... I really do like this game and have almost 90 hours dedicated to it. But this crash is really breaking it for me. I can play BF3 on Ultra for hours and it doesn't so much as hiccup. There needs to be a fix for this, I can only hope it comes in 1.4.

I have a very capable system and am experiencing this problem intermittently as well:

System Specs:

ASUS P5ND Socket 775 MB

8 GB DDR2 6400

Windows 7 64-Bit

EVGA Geforce 580 GTX SC

I have been monitoring my temperatures and my CPU never goes over 44-45 C and my video card rarely goes any higher than 65 C. I have verified my install files. I have tried the sound bug fix. I have tried under-clocking my card. I have tried removing all mods and reducing the quality in the game. I have tried Nvidia's recommendations in regards to settings as well. I have made changes in .INI file as recommended by several users. This seems to happen more in underground areas then elsewhere, but it has happened in open areas. It does seem to happen in the same areas over and over. I will play sometimes for several hours, and then it crashes when i get to a certain point. I have to reboot and when i start again it can happen at the same exact moment or it might happen 5 minutes later... I really do like this game and have almost 90 hours dedicated to it. But this crash is really breaking it for me. I can play BF3 on Ultra for hours and it doesn't so much as hiccup. There needs to be a fix for this, I can only hope it comes in 1.4.

I have almost the same hardware and the same issues. So far I've been able fix it with disabling Core Parking.

http://one-miguel.blogspot.com/2012/01/skyrim-crashrebooting-fix-disable-core.html

Try it and let me know if it works...

System Specs:

ASUS P5ND Socket 775 MB

8 GB DDR2 6400

Windows 7 64-Bit

EVGA Geforce 580 GTX SC

I have almost the same hardware and the same issues. So far I've been able fix it with disabling Core Parking.

http://one-miguel.blogspot.com/2012/01/skyrim-crashrebooting-fix-disable-core.html

Try it and let me know if it works...

I am going to give this a shot. See if it works. I appreciate the information.

i have the same problem 5 hours played and its reboots my computer 2 times in different places. loading launching everything is ok. but 1 or 2 hours later its reboots my pc.

specs;

intel i7 990x

gigabyte x58a-oc

kingston 16gb 1333mhz ram

nvidia gtx260 448bit 4gb shared

sory for bad english. trying to find fix but couldnt.

windows 7 64bit

Edited by ctmnl

Hello!

I was reading this topic since its beginning but didn't write any replies because people seemed to have the same problems as I did. Skyrim crashing = black screen>sound looped>hard reset...

First of all, this is my spec:

Dual-Core E6700 3.2Ghz @ 3.4Ghz

Geil Ultra 2 - 4GB (800Mhz)

Asus P5B Deluxe

HIS Radeon HD 6870 IceQ X Turbo 1GB

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I'm running Skyrim on Ultra settings with AA 2x and Ani 16x in 1980x1080.

How and when the errors occurred for me:

-While using World map more then 1x in a row (100% chance to crash)

-When using 2 spells simultaneously (eg. Fire/Frost), same thing happens when I use staffs to cast spells. (80% chance to crash)

-While visiting Shalidor's Maze where the weather is very intensive. (50% chance to crash)

-While traveling on foot(random - depends on the location)

-Mounting up and riding for more then 5 seconds (80% chance to crash)

Used my GFs PC to check if Skyrim crashes but nothing happened, the game is playable on Ultra settings in 1680x1050 with no problems or crashes occurring.

Spec:

Dual Core E6700 3.2Ghz

4GB RAM (1333Mhz)

Asus mainboard (don't recall the model)

Geforce GTX 460 - 1GB

Windows 7 64bit

So I tested everything I could find to help me solve the problem(apart from reinstalling my OS)... Until yesterday, I decided to read about the Core Parking thingy, I knew that I can't use it (At least Quad-Core +) but then it came to me, I went to the power management settings in Windows and saw that i have Balanced power plan active so I changed it to High Performance.

Another thing I did was changing Steam's Beta profile to Skyrim Beta, that allowed me to download the new 1.4 beta patch. After that I had to delete Skyboost cause i wasn't compatible with the new version.

So I launched the game, loaded last save game, used map to fast travel... the game didn't crash, sold useless stuff to vendor in Whiterun, saved everything etc. Decided to check the map for a bit longer(was prepared for a crash, cause when I did this earlier the game always crashed) and... nothing happened! Turned the map off, turned on again, scrolled around... was shocked! Nothing happened again! So i used it to fast travel to Shalidor's Maze location. The game loaded normally, nothing happened so far... Because it was already late and I had to go to work in the morning, I decided to call it a day.

I still need to do more testing but it's either the Power Plan settings or the new beta patch. Check it out!

I'm starting to be optimistic...

Edited by psztol

I have the patch as well. Unfortunately it did absolutely nothing. My hard reset seems to be area or quest specific, problem is it doesn't seem to matter which quest. I was in some dwarven ruins and when I moved deeper into the level it would crash in minutes. I loaded an earlier save and left and I was able to play for 1/2 hour. I was entering the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary and it crashed. That was the first time it crashed during a transition. I have disabled speedstep and disabled core parking as well to no avail. This problem is with the very code of Skyrim. I am going to delete and reinstall it and see if that will solve my problem this time, otherwise this game is getting shelved until it works.

ok i think i found a solution for rebooting. today i downloaded skyrim on the internet. the name of the file is skyrim razor1911. then i installed it. in addition i downloaded update from this web page *Content removed*

Banned for piracy - TVD.