Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Permanent fix for crashing on my PC:

It is related to auto-saves like gjm777 stated. However disabling auto-saving is insufficient (and not required; leave auto-saving enabled as it was). I noticed that once the game started crashing, if I fast-travelled to another location, it said "Autosaving" and after a few minutes in the new location it crashed. However after I rebooted and clicked Continue game, it started from my old location and not from the auto-save after I fast-travelled, which meant that the auto-saving failed completely and it subsequently crashed. So I fast-travelled to a new location and created a manual save (Escape->Save) and then quit to desktop. I then went to the "My Games\Skyrim\Saves" folder and deleted all the auto-saves and quick-saves and left only my manual save. Now when I continued playing everything worked fine including future auto-saves and it hasn't crashed in over 2 days. I had inadvertently done this 2 weeks ago while trying to clean all traces of the game and it started working properly back then, so it's worked successfully on two incidents.

Basically:

1. Continue game

2. Fast-Travel to new location

3. Save game manually (Escape->Save)

4. Quit to Desktop

5. Delete all saves from "My Games\Skyrim\Saves" except your manual save.

6. Continue game.

Alas disabling auto-saving hasn't completely solved this problem for me. My black screen crashes only ever occur when looking at the map. With auto-saving on I can get away with looking at the map maybe 3 times before crashing. With it turned off I can get up to 8 looks at the map so at least theres some improvement which I have gjm777 to thank.

Alas disabling auto-saving hasn't completely solved this problem for me. My black screen crashes only ever occur when looking at the map. With auto-saving on I can get away with looking at the map maybe 3 times before crashing. With it turned off I can get up to 8 looks at the map so at least theres some improvement which I have gjm777 to thank.

Did you try what I posted above?

Did you try what I posted above?

Gonna tentatively say that following your instructions has stopped any crashes - been fast travelling around like crazy with no probs! Thanks

Permanent fix for crashing on my PC:

It is related to auto-saves like gjm777 stated. However disabling auto-saving is insufficient (and not required; leave auto-saving enabled as it was). I noticed that once the game started crashing, if I fast-travelled to another location, it said "Autosaving" and after a few minutes in the new location it crashed. However after I rebooted and clicked Continue game, it started from my old location and not from the auto-save after I fast-travelled, which meant that the auto-saving failed completely and it subsequently crashed. So I fast-travelled to a new location and created a manual save (Escape->Save) and then quit to desktop. I then went to the "My Games\Skyrim\Saves" folder and deleted all the auto-saves and quick-saves and left only my manual save. Now when I continued playing everything worked fine including future auto-saves and it hasn't crashed in over 2 days. I had inadvertently done this 2 weeks ago while trying to clean all traces of the game and it started working properly back then, so it's worked successfully on two incidents.

Basically:

1. Continue game

2. Fast-Travel to new location

3. Save game manually (Escape->Save)

4. Quit to Desktop

5. Delete all saves from "My Games\Skyrim\Saves" except your manual save.

6. Continue game.

This didn't work for me - crashed after a few minutes again. (Also tried gjm777's solution and several others, to no avail.) If it means anything, my crashes seem to be location-dependent. For example, I never crash indoors or inside a city, and also in certain parts of the outdoor map like around Markarth and Winterhold, but almost always crash in Riverwood and around Riften. (Most other outdoor areas are unpredictable.) Have had this issue since like hour 2, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason other than location.

That's it... i give up. I will wait for a patch from Bethesda to fix this. My computer will not resist so many forced restarts. I was able to play for a while with the solution that GuardianPL found in the steam foruns and posted here. But now i'm having this problem again. Already tried the other solutions too but with no success. My screen is not black though, but appears like this picture: http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/brianl40/1.jpg

And the sound doesn't loop or continue to play, i just hear strange sounds. I'm having this problem with the Mass Effect 1 too and but i solved the problem disabling the high quality shadows and film grain and playing in windowed mode. I think that this is related to my graphics card temperature, but with other heavy games, like crysis 2 or the witcher 2, i'm not having the problem. I will try the Bethesda Tech Support. If i get an answer i post here.

You know I have been reading all the posts on the crashing problem with Skyrim. First of all if you were not having any problems with the 1.3 patch and after installing the 1.4 patch things started going down hill, then the problem is with the 1.4 patch not your system. The 1.4 patch has broken some games and had no effect on others. That leads me to believe that those that installed mods that made serious changes to their Skyrim. ini can attribute many of the problems to that as well. But, I still say the biggest problem lies with the new patch. I am still running 1.3 with no problems at all and have no plans to install 1.4 so that I can go thru the frustrations many players are experiencing since installing the new patch. Remember the 1.4 patch did not only fix some broken quest issues. If it had then I feel no one would be having problems. However, the new patch also made changes on how the game addressed and utilized memory and graphics and that can cause serious problems for some users. Best advice I can give is try to roll back to 1.3 until a better patch is released and then stay in Stream offline mode to play the game. Edited by shadow56