Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Hola

It's me, the OP again, funny thing, check the date on the OP and check the date of this reply.

Skyrim still gives me the same problem, months of trying to fix this, I don't even believe any of the "I FIXED IT!!!! DO THIS!!" posts anymore as they do not help and quite frankly I've tried so many I'm tired of trying any more.

This is the only game that gives me this problem, it is the only game that has ever given me this problem ever since I started gaming 20 years ago.

None of their patches work, none of the other people's mods of so called "antifreeze" mods work.

This may actually be the very first time I say this, as I've found other people saying it quite childish, but I mailed their tech support again and if they can't help me (again) I will never buy another game from Bethesda, download it sure, maybe after a couple of pirated versions of their games (and them working) I will concider purchasing another one.

Did you try my recent solution and turn off your 2D clocks? Like you, nothing worked for me until I did that. Try it if you can.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Just got Skyrim from the Steam Sale (woot, was looking forward to that!)

I have many a mods downloaded on Skyrim, unsure if that matters, but I have lowest settings on besides a bit of view distance, and even have every single shadow turned OFF. What happens to me I have noticed, is that i will play perfectly fine through the intro and through some wilderness, but maybe around 5-15 minutes in I will A. Either seem somethings surface turn yellow and I lag until crash, or B. Game will seem to freeze. I will still be able to hear everything working fine in the background, but the screen I am looking at is in a frozen pic.

Any ideas? I have had black screen but only 2 times out of maybe.. 10 "crashes or shutdowns".

Starting to regret buying this game..

Guys i think i fixed the problem by installing dawnguard in skyrim all problems stopped now the game is fine...Before i get the black screen immediately after i opened the map.I had this problem from november now everything seems ok i will write again tomorrow to inform everyone if something changed.

Hola

It's me, the OP again, funny thing, check the date on the OP and check the date of this reply.

Skyrim still gives me the same problem, months of trying to fix this, I don't even believe any of the "I FIXED IT!!!! DO THIS!!" posts anymore as they do not help and quite frankly I've tried so many I'm tired of trying any more.

This is the only game that gives me this problem, it is the only game that has ever given me this problem ever since I started gaming 20 years ago.

None of their patches work, none of the other people's mods of so called "antifreeze" mods work.

This may actually be the very first time I say this, as I've found other people saying it quite childish, but I mailed their tech support again and if they can't help me (again) I will never buy another game from Bethesda, download it sure, maybe after a couple of pirated versions of their games (and them working) I will concider purchasing another one.

Are you using a laptop? if so, it may be your power adapter thats the problem.. Im not using my original power adapter, it's whats causing my PC to crash (low voltage.. ).

Like a lot of people, I tried every solution listed here and nothing worked. I have plenty of posts itt from way back when lol. Anyway, much to my amazement after nearly a year, I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION!!!

I bought SR3 during the Steam summer sale and it was doing the same s***, but these are the only two games that crash my system. So I start more hours and hours of research. I still refused to believe it was a hardware problem, and it turns out it is and isn't. Well, it could be either one, but I'm still leaning towards the code in these games or something screwy with the GPU drivers, maybe a combo of both. Either way, here's how I fixed it and have been playing both games without system crashes for 2 days now, before it was 5 minutes or less.

It's simple, DISABLE 2D CLOCKS ON YOUR GPU.

After all this time it was that easy, and I don't recall ever seeing this solution posted to fix it. For some reason my card was slipping into 2D clock speeds during gameplay which was causing the crashes, as it should at those low speeds trying to handle demanding graphics. So everyone who has lost all hope should give it a whirl, especially if you have a 6870 like me, which seems to still be the biggest offender. If the option isn't there or isn't working in CCC try downloading your card manufacturer's specific GPU tool, which in my case was HIS iTurbo. (Afterburner for MSI, Trixx for Saphire, etc) I never tried in CCC tbqh, but iTurbo does the trick for me.

I hope this works for some desperate folks out there, good luck!

Edit: Just a small warning, disabling your 2D clocks will make your GPU idle at higher temps. Make sure you have good cooling.

Can you tell me how to disable 2D clock. I am using MSI afterburener and cant find option

I found another solution for me! Maybe this is helpful for someof you..

I had the same problem with the blackscreen->monitor turns off->sound begins to stutter about one minute after monitor shut down...

I wondered because some of the solutions in this thread helped - a little. One of the most helpful things was the "dxtory" setting of 60fps cap - this extended my playtime until the first crashes for about 1.5 hours. Underclocking my card to the lowest allowed values in CCC also helped me to extend my playtime between crashes for about 10 minutes.

after weeks of speculations, trials and error, installing/deinstalling tools, i just came up with the idea of monitoring my GPU Temperatures.........

In my case it was a simple, but slow(!) overheating. (While playing skyrim the GPU temp went from about 55 C up to about 88 C - and stayed in this region (+/- 3 Degrees) , and as soon as it reached 90 Degrees (Mostly on outdoor areas, where my fps went down to 25 with maxed settings (only shadows were set to low) - BLACK SCREEN / GPU SHUTDOWN

I solved it by installing 3 more Casefans (1 lower front, 1 upper backside of case, and 1 slot-cooler directly below the graphics card) - Still testing it, but seems to work so far. Posting the max temperatures of this setup tomorrow.

p.s.: Graphics Cards: ATI HD 6580 from Asus on Win7 64Bit and a Phenom X4 Processor

Hm I'm hesitant to disable 2D clocking on GPU as I don't like to fiddle around with standard options that make the GPU run the way it does just for one game.

I'm not on a laptop and have a very good power supply.

This overheating thing was in this thread a hundred pages ago. It doesn't work for me and it probably won't for you either. I made sure the temp didn't go beyond a certain point and it worked, for days it worked so I figured that was it. Till it started crashing again nevertheless, just like with all other so-called fixes that help you maybe for a week tops. It's like an adaptable supervirus this thing :P

Haven't received any response on my most recent e-mail to their tech support and I don't think I ever will. This issue is being covered up. Very disappointing.

Edited by Zolexus