Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Know a friend whose having the same problem, i don't think its a hardware related, i think its because Skyrim in itself is a poorly optimized and ported game, if it aint broke leave it alone until it is patched from bethesda, if you have no other problems from other games like Crysis or any other cpu intensive games leave it alone until they patch it.

It almost seems like whenever theres a npc in combat mode the game ctd's.

I'm simply watching this thread for anyone who might have a salution or a quick fix.

Edited by Thor.

I Know a friend whose having the same problem, i don't think its a hardware related, i think its because Skyrim in itself is a poorly optimized and ported game, if it aint broke leave it alone until it is patched from bethesda, if you have no other problems from other games like Crysis or any other cpu intensive games leave it alone until they patch it.

I'm simply watching this thread for anyone who might have a salution or a quick fix.

While I agree with your post, keep the ctd talk away, this is not what people in this topic want to know about (and the 54 pages is no excuse, since there's plenty of posts in all pages saying how this is not a ctd issue)

Well I'm having the same issue in other games just like I how I just had the same kind of crash in the witcher 2 when I didn't before when I played it.

Same with fallout 3 and new vegas and GTA IV as well except for Episodes from liberty city, I guess they made that one less demanding.

I was told my psu is just cheap and can mess up your parts other than your psu (at least my shitty one) and I'm gonna be upgrading it to a nice seasonic now.

And on other forums they INSIST it's the PSU when you crash out of the blue. So be it, I don't want my parts f***ed to s*** by this thing, so it's time to replace.

Well I'm having the same issue in other games just like I how I just had the same kind of crash in the witcher 2 when I didn't before when I played it.

Same with fallout 3 and new vegas and GTA IV as well except for Episodes from liberty city, I guess they made that one less demanding.

I was told my psu is just cheap and can mess up your parts other than your psu (at least my shitty one) and I'm gonna be upgrading it to a nice seasonic now.

And on other forums they INSIST it's the PSU when you crash out of the blue. So be it, I don't want my parts f***ed to s*** by this thing, so it's time to replace.

Tell me about it, tried the diablotek again to test old motherboard and my vid card.... heard the PSU start whining... total system shutdown, and it appears it literally FRIED my GPU... this has not been a good month for my rig... first the PSU, then mobo, now Graphics card....

STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP ASS PSU's!

Tell me about it, tried the diablotek again to test old motherboard and my vid card.... heard the PSU start whining... total system shutdown, and it appears it literally FRIED my GPU... this has not been a good month for my rig... first the PSU, then mobo, now Graphics card....

STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP ASS PSU's!

Yeah lol I got a really nice seasonic one. Everyone always has something nice to say about their PSU's so I got a 750w one from them.

It's 80 plus gold efficiency, can't wait to play my demanding games again.

If you're watching this for a quick fix for a CTD, you're in the wrong place. You specifically have been told this many times, at this point you're probably told this at least once every day. If you must stay here, keep your posts on topic, as to not annoy people. Zolexus has added this to the OP, you have been told numerous times to keep on topic, there is no excuse at this point.

Greetings chaps, i have been following this thread from the beginning and i'm quite glad well, ish, that the sad/angry bunch of us gathered here to cry together.

It's a comfort in teh interwebs.

Just figured i'd share my solution with you guys, it worked for me and well.. i hope someone can benefit from it also.

When this idiot problem came up (freeze, random colours/gpu terror reboot s***) i began.. well.. doing everything, tried pretty much everything in this thread and a few unorthodox things i really wont mention.. anyway..

After adding some things together, the occurances of my crashes, the gpu behaviour, my settings,

clocks etc and the hint from a previous poster about 2d vs 3d powersaving issue (his solution was then to downclock to permanent 2d.)

i realised that my problems began after i lowered my settings for a smoother fps (it's a new computer so i'm experimenting a lot..).. i thought it was the new drivers fault first tbh but hey.. can't blame em all the time.

I think it was the powerplay that activated when i paused in graphic intense moments, the setting activated and then the game didnt like changing it back when i unpaused, for example, many similiar moments.

It actually ran better on heavy settings for permanent heavy load.

Ah nvm, try using MSI afterburner, open the MSIafterburner.cfg and add

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2

Methinks it says UnofficialOverclockingEULA = 0 from the beginning or something like it.. near the bottom.

This will turn off powersavings or powerplay or whatever it's called, and stopping the gpu from jumping between 2d and 3d mode, keeping a stable clock. It worked like a charm for me, been playing for 3 days nonstop (sleep ofc..) without freeze now, knock on wood.. where i got a crash every 15-20 mins before.

Do note that you dont have to overclock your gpu to use this program, just make sure your fan is at a good setting and that the card can handle the skyrim full load (which it should but just be safe..).

Heck, i'm tired but i hope i made any sense, good luck and do say if it worked for you.

Cheers

oh, my specs are

tf3 6950 2gb 975/1450

i5 2500k 4,2ghz

8gb 1600hz ram

somethingsomethinglaser

Edited by Jochenator

These crashes are really nothing I've ever seen before and I've been playing games for over 20 years now.

I had no crash for about a week with the upping the GPU fan speed to never let the GPU go higher than 60 degrees.

Now today for the first time I had my black screen crash again, I rebooted, 10 min of playing later I get it again. So now it's constant again.

What's up with this? Tis spooky :P