Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

So after reading most of this thread, it seems that this is most likely either an issue with our cards overheating (very inefficient programming for the game) or an issue with RAM.

I have an HD 6950 and have gskill ripjaw series RAM and every few hours I get the crash of black screen, monitor doesn't recognize any input, have to hard reboot to get going again.

My question though...is anyone getting this that DOES NOT run gskill ripjaw memory?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after reading most of this thread, it seems that this is most likely either an issue with our cards overheating (very inefficient programming for the game) or an issue with RAM.

I have an HD 6950 and have gskill ripjaw series RAM and every few hours I get the crash of black screen, monitor doesn't recognize any input, have to hard reboot to get going again.

My question though...is anyone getting this that DOES NOT run gskill ripjaw memory?

I don't have gskill ripjaw. Never even heard of them. I can't remember without opening my computer's case right now what exactly I got, but since I handled them myself when building this machine, I know they looked decidedly more...humble. I am a bit like that. I pay attention to overall appearances and tend to remember large noticeable aspects of something more easily, due to being short sighted but only getting glasses to treat it very late. I got in the habit of looking for things I can see at a distance. Keck, I can recognise people I know from the way they walk. So yeah, I think I would have remembered the flashy look of the memory if I had used them. :wink:

I tried another trick they mentioned on that Hardware forum I linked. Since the cable alone didn't really seem to help, I tried the trick with manualling setting up a custom Screen Resolution with CVT-Reduced Blanking set up through the video driver. So far it looks good, though that does not necessarily mean I am out of the woods yet - Anyone else try this?

currently running with kingston hyperX ram after my ripjaws were no longer in warranty (lifetime warranty seems to be lifetime of the manufacture of that model). my card/cpu isn't overheating, since i saw to that and others are likely to be setting their fans to 80 - 100% to prevent that, too.

did the people who were/are running ripjaws pick them up because they were decently priced at the time? i picked up 2x 4GB kits (2x 2GB sticks) for $70 when i built my machine - much cheaper than the rest of the performance ram.

64-bit Windows 7 here, i5, 4GB, ATI HD 5770

I started getting frequent crashes last weekend - mostly CTDs, but also a few black screens and BSODs. Not only Skyrim kept crashing after a few seconds of gameplay, but also EVE Online, which usually runs fine with 2 game clients open, and even FireFox.

Tried updating the graphics drivers - this at least let me play EVE again. Tried cache file verification - this just led to the Skyrim launcher CTDing. Tried running the TESV.exe as administrator - that let me play for a while.

Last night I had another CTD after which the launcher would instantly crash every time. This morning, trying to run the exe as administrator again, I had 2 BSODs in close succession, each giving memory management as the cause.

So I ran windows memory diagnostics, which told me I had a hardware failure. Installed and ran memtest... and sure enough, one of my RAM modules failed on the first test.

I'm currently waiting for a replacement - and hope that this will sort it.

First of all sorry about my english.

My Skyrim works perfectly, but i have a strange CTD. I´ll try to explain it.....

When i get killed starts to load the last saved game. If the saved game is in the same zone that i got killed I always have a CTD

It doesn´t happen in interiors........only in exteriors. Always!!

Any Ideas???

This is NOT a CTD thread. We're all sorry you're having problems, since we are as well, but you are in the wrong place.

So I have a fairly decent PC i just got out of the box and cant play skyrim.

I have gone through the following steps to troubleshoot any problems, so please dont suggest what I have been reading for the past 2 days straight x_x;

(I own the retail PC version btw)

-Validated the steam cache files

-Updated Drivers(yes all of them)

-Updated my mobo

-Downloaded the new 4gb.exe for skyrim

-Tried the "sound" fix by setting to 44100

-Tested settings on default High, then to low

-Took off Shadows

-No AA settings are applied

-Tried Windowed Mode, no dice there (When i do, the key thing to note is I lag as well as I am stuck in the wagon inside the driver; happens all the time if that helps)

-Ran a DxDiagnostic and everything checks out great.

-Nvidia graphics card IS the video card my game is reading from

I cant get through a single moment of gameplay without an errorless desktop crash. On the rare occasion I get 3 seconds of gameplay THEN a crash, always at the first loading screen.

PC specs:

Hopefully someone can make sense of this massive wall of text. :c

When you say a desktop crash, do you mean you entire system is forced to perform a hard system restart?

Perhaps you did not quite understand my post. While I was getting CTDs, and the problem first manifested itself in form of CTDs, I was ALSO getting black screens and BSODs.

Which, incidentally, have not recurred since removing the faulty RAM module. Was able to play for several hours last night without any form of crash.

Hey guys,

Exact same problem here too, AND i'm running Win7 64 bit.

Going to try the sound issue fixes, and hope for the best.

Using a GTS240 from nvidia. Should be sturdy enough to run skyrim according to their specs.

I'll reply with my results soon :P

-HTMLHellFire

I get this error as well and I am running Windows XP 32 bit.

So does playing in windowed mode not work for anyone else?

Doesn't work for me. *censored* of a game still crashes one day till the patch so f*** it.

So I was playing Gothic 4, and all of a sudden it does the EXACT same thing.... coincidence or hardware issue? You decide.

In my case it seems like snowy areas are causing the issue.

Yes, I am having the same issue. My video card is an HD 6850. When I enter a snowy area, the screen just blacks out after seconds. Never seems to freeze in other towns and such. Also, I have been playing the game for like (approx.) 60 hours and the issue has just started getting on me. Tried many possible fixes with no luck.