Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I have taken the liberty to repost IanHead wonderful analysis on the Skyrim crashes in Kotaku.

I hope that someone there might notice this and maybe turn some heads our way so this issue can get the attention that it deserves.

Keep on spreading the word!.

*fist bump*

Thanks mate.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am another one of those guys who get complete PC crashes as soon as they open the map, as can be read in detail here: http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/481322-skyrim-freeze-when-opening-the-world-map/ and I noticed something really weird yesterday after I updated to the 11.11c drivers (cause it's supposed to fix crossfire for the HD 5xxx series) and I deleted all the .ini files to get a new "system check" when starting the launcher.

After that I started the game and tried my luck so I opened the world map and for some reason it didn't crash my PC, in fact I was even able to see the map (including all the symbols as it should be). Well I was pulled back into reality after I tried closing the map by pressing "tab" and exactly the same symptoms occurred that normally happen when i try to open the world map.

Also after I did a hard reset on my PC and started Skyrim again I was back to square one, since the problems occurred again when trying to OPEN the world map.

PS: the "feature" with the world map is reproduce-able for me, as every time I delete all the .ini files I can open the map but not close it anymore. This happens only the first time I start Skyrim after deleting them. Otherwise it crashes on opening.

I found what seems to be a fix for this tedious full system crash when visiting the bethesda forum post mentioned a few pages ago on this thread (the compilation of everything we have tried). I'll post what I found on the thread here to make things easier.

Note: I don't think that this will work for Nvidia users, only ATI.

--------------------

Download atiumdag.dll from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICEDIU66

See the link at this forum post

http://www.overclock...0#post_15656590

Open folder

steam > steamapps > common > skyrim

Drag atimgpud.dll into the steam folder. (This is to just get it out of the skyrim folder without losing the file in case this does not work.)

Place atiumdag.dll in the skyrim folder (steam > steamapps > common > skyrim)

--------------------

This has fixed the full system crash when opening my map as well as the random crashes that we have all suffered dearly. I hope that this helps everyone else. I'll post back if I run into any issues using this "fix".

Okk here's problem maybe I am wrong but i think Skyrim has destroyed by graphic card here are my laptop specs:

Intel i3-2310M CPU @2.10Ghz

Ram- 3GB ( 2.85 usable)

System type- 64-bit OS

Window 7 Home Premium

Graphic card- nVIDIA GEFORCE GT540M 1GB

I got a Packard Bell Laptop model number EasyNote NS11HR

Skyrim was workin lk a charm for a week or so no crashes or anything had gotten till level 23 but then the random PC crashes I thought maybe file got corrupted reinstalled the game made a new save file etc etc none of them seemed to work the PC kept crashing and my graphic card used to get damn damn hot.

Someone told me to do a pressure test on my laptop usin Furmark everytime the temperature reaches 81-84 degree C the laptop crashes so obviously the graphic card has been compromised dunno thankfully its under warranty but any other method for me to fix it since for me to be able to avail the warranty i need to send it to another state so a lot of work and can the game really spoil the graphic card before that had no problem with any games even saints row 3 gave a crash here and there mainly due to overheating am damn pissed such an amazin game but i feel it spoilt my graphic card.

I found what seems to be a fix for this tedious full system crash when visiting the bethesda forum post mentioned a few pages ago on this thread (the compilation of everything we have tried). I'll post what I found on the thread here to make things easier.

--------------------

Open folder

Drag atimgpud.dll into the steam folder. (This is to just get it out of the skyrim folder without losing the file in case this does not work.)

--------------------

This has fixed the full system crash when opening my map as well as the random crashes that we have all suffered dearly. I hope that this helps everyone else. I'll post back if I run into any issues using this "fix".

Haven't crashed at all so far after putting this on. :dance:

--------------------

Open folder

--------------------

Haven't crashed at all so far after putting this on. :dance:

Greetings,

These hard crashes happen to me aswell. Doing as described above made my game unplayable (Massive stuttering, low fps).

i7 950 @Stock

6GB RAM 1333Mhz

5870 Crossfire @Stock

7200 rpm HDD

Windows 7 64bit

Catalyst 11.11c

Hope somebody will figure something out.

@ DolAtoR , Good luck. If you've been fine for 100 hours, I'd approach it as a "something has changed in your game to use more resources". Perhaps try creating a new temporary game and open the map. It could be that the 'filled out' map has something to it?

Thank you very much for your support! It's people like you that even stop playing to help other people that I love about these forums.

Will try your suggestions and also the atimgpud.dll from Falthos and report back.

One of the most common causes of my hard crashing was opening the world map. I fixed this by installing the mod that was mentioned earlier for the map view. That seemed to fix that problem ...

Would you be so kind and tell me which mod you are talking about? Thanks!

--------------------

Open folder

--------------------

Dude, if this works, I owe you a beer ;) Will try this tonight or tomorrow and report back.

--------------------

Open folder

--------------------

Well, Skyrim still crashed :(

As promised, an update. But first a couple of comments:

My character is Level 1 and I couldn't get out of the escape area, so level has nothing to do with the crash.

My compliments to IanHead for a masterfully written and comprehensive summary.

On to the update, which bears good news. To recap, Skyrim shuts down my computer on this rig:

Acer Aspire X1301 215 2.70GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

AMD Athlon II X2 215 P270

4.00 GB

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4650

So just for the hell of it, I installed it on my crappy laptop:

Toshiba Satellite P305

Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit)

IntelCore2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00 GHz

4.00 GB

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470

... and I played over five hours with no crashes (of any kind -- world map works, etc.)

I know that subjectivity is suspect, but my experience is that the game was rock solid on this rig, and is not GOING to crash. I will keep updating every once in a while.

My suspicion is that, as others have written, this is a "newer-video-card" issue, especially given that the shutdown mimics card overheating symptoms, yet the card is not overheating. Otherwise, I can't imagine why my older card can handle the game whilst my new card cannot. I've read this thread in its entirety, and I don't see any older cards listed. Perhaps one of you out there have an older rig and can test this hypothesis?

Cheers mates, and keep up the good fight.

Edited by Path2Victory