On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

Being a lurker for quite a while but I have to say this.

The biggest with stolen mods is the thief can solicit for donations or xbox codes.

Which has legal implications.

And of course, the more common one is the issue of stolen mods bricking the console or corrupting saves. That is the one that causes all hell to break through.

If something in the game breaks, all the blame goes back to the author, while thief just laughs at them. If you are wrongly accused for something you did not do, that feels like s#*!. And frankly that is why many mod authors are clamping up or just making F4SE compulsory, so they don't have to deal with this issue.

This is an issue that must be addressed by Bethsoft, which they have shown no interest in doing so unfortunately.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #39485330. #39488480 is also a reply to the same post.

MrJoseCuervo wrote: I urge modders to keep their console brothers in mind when they make mods. Make sure your mods are in good working order and safe for them to use. We don't want any consoles getting damaged due to poor modding.
alanlwilcox wrote: How can a PC modder EVER make a mod safe for console gaming? There are no tools for a console game as said in an earlier post. Consoles are a new world that only Bethesda may know enough about to mod for them. I would think that consoles would be at great risk and will blame these modders for problems caused by pirated mods.

There are 0 tools for a modder to troubleshoot on a console. And frankly asking a modder to buy 2 consoles just to test his mods is ridiculous anyway.

Maybe we should encourage the thieves or pirates to do the testing?
I am pretty damn sure a handful of modders would be glad to outsource this to them.
If they ask first of course.

In response to post #39487555.

LegoManIAm94 wrote: This whole war on console mods and bethesda.net is so dumb. If you have an issue with console mods I agree you need to grow up. If you are worried your mod maybe stolen well guess what. Copyright is only implemented along you as the author take action. If you upload a mod here on Nexus and even if Bethesda.Net doesn't exist someone can still steal it and upload it to Steam Workshop or Mod DB or some other website. You need to take legal action as a mod author if you want to protect your files. You can expect someone to search the entire web to make sure your mods are not stolen. That is up to the mod authors. And there are bigger issues in this world than Bethesda.net and stolen mods.

I checked your upload history, sorted by filesize and its unsurprisingly you make tiny mods not worthy of theft, if you did a complete overhaul of something 100mb+ you wouldn't be saying

"And there are bigger issues in this world than Bethesda.net and stolen mods. "

Also: "Play Call Of Duty the Xbox 360 way but with your PC." is one of your mods, keep console shilling. Edited by AveragePhotoshopSkills

In response to post #39487475.

ChizFoShiz wrote: I personally don't mind Bethesda.net, seems fine for a console interface. It's unfortunate that the backend is rough for authors but that'll get better I'm sure.

After trying it out on PC the only real problem I have with it is having to leave the game running to actually download anything but I mean, that's clearly just because it works the exact same way as it's console counterpart and is therefore not going to be for most PC users, and that's fine.

As an author, I've not really been a part of any of this since modding for Fallout holds zero appeal out of "There's till no smoking mod? Man I'll just make my own, oh someone made one now? Well I made my own anyway so whatever I guess."

I'm pretty excited to start throwing stuff to the console community once Skyrim gets released though, especially since some of my colleagues and friends don't game on PC and always got excited when I showed them videos of crap I was working on.

With any luck we'll get a CK update too and won't have an unstable hot mess of a tool to use, Fallout's is such a better experience than Skyrim's that the idea of going back to that same crash-fest bums me out.

Anyway, happy modding or mod using or whatever, everyone stop being a jerk and email your local Bethesda representative or whatever, here's to maybe another 2000 hours of Creation Kit-ing later this year, hope to see you there!

PEACE!

not only does the game have to be running but you have to be ACTIVELY in the game watching it download, its cancer.

I started a 2gb download and alt-tabbed to watch some streams on twitch, when I alt tabbed back a couple of hours later it was still at 1%

I've been torn. On one hand Bethesda.net is terrible. On the other, many authors have been just as bad if not worse. I understand that theft needs to be dealt with, but to some great degree that has been used as a cover for merely attacking anyone using beth.net. So, it's hard to figure out who to be angry at more. It boils down to pretentiousness and arrogance on both sides. Being a legitimate author on beth.net is like being caught in the middle of a pissing contest. Everyone is pissing on you for no apparent reason. Though I agree with Dark0ne about how beth.net appears to have created a rift within the community, I'd also argue it more so exposed a rift. I've felt this rift since the launch of Fallout 4. A huge influx of new mod authors, and frankly many Skyrim veterans took it as a personal assault. The rift was created. The second you add console mods to the mix...fire and gasoline. Authors are fully justified in defending their mods from theft, but quite a few legitimate authors are getting hit in the crossfire. Too many are using this opportunity to take down others mods within the confusion. Frankly it's a mess, that admittedly Bethesda is primarily responsible for, but this rift won't go away, even after Bethesda, in theory, fixes their platform.

I have not been into Bethgaming for quite a while, but still visiting the Nexus for the latest mods and News. I loved reading this article, it shows a lot of the controversal potential Bethesda's relatively new path of cross-platforming and mod distribution has. Their business model is getting more and more refined each decade, and with each title coming and going. Certainly, business is a fine thing, and Bethesda deserves all the success they have, but still, I dont exactly like where all of this is going, and that Bethesda.NET Clientism in particular.

Loved the reading, really polarizing, thanks a lot!

In response to post #39488585.

A_name wrote: Being a lurker for quite a while but I have to say this.
The biggest with stolen mods is the thief can solicit for donations or xbox codes.
Which has legal implications.

And of course, the more common one is the issue of stolen mods bricking the console or corrupting saves. That is the one that causes all hell to break through.

If something in the game breaks, all the blame goes back to the author, while thief just laughs at them. If you are wrongly accused for something you did not do, that feels like s#*!. And frankly that is why many mod authors are clamping up or just making F4SE compulsory, so they don't have to deal with this issue.

This is an issue that must be addressed by Bethsoft, which they have shown no interest in doing so unfortunately.

I think I would have to add to this. Let me first throw a disclaimer out there: "I am in no way against mods on consoles"; ok there, done. Now, I actually hope (as mean as it may sound) that a mod only meant or PC capable that gets stolen, DOES brick a console. And I hope its a lawyer's son/daughter. This way someone will go after the thief, as the author EXPRESSLY declined permission for consoles for whatever reason. Hopefully that would put an end to this debacle much faster than trying to reason with people that don't care to see reason.

PS. If my view offends you, I apologize in advance, but that would be justice you have to admit :p