On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

In response to post #39496935. #39498440, #39499350 are all replies on the same post.

Marnevel wrote: Hmm 5,000 words to address something that should be common sense. Nice post and you have definitely earned the removal of ad block on your site 0_0 Just you know, don't spam me like crazy, and thank you for supporting the mod community
MikeW1985 wrote: i did the same thing after reading your reply. Respect to Dark0ne for taking the time to write all that.
WiIIPWN4KFC wrote: Me too. From this moment forward I will put up with those annoying ads to support the Nexus.

I really don't find the ads that annoying on Nexus. No nasty popups or anything. The team here really do a good job to not allow bad ads.

Good work guys!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #39498625. #39499265, #39499445 are all replies on the same post.

CaladanAnduril wrote: Fallout 3
Release Date - October 28, 2008
Geck (v 1.1) - December 11, 2008

December 2009 - Already four major quests mods
Cube Experimental
A Note Easily Mist
An Evening with Mister Manchester
A Quest for Heaven 1

==============================
Fallout 4
Release date - November 10, 2015
Creation Kit (Beta !!!) - April 26, 2016

Great quest mods ( so far)... none

That's say pretty much all about Beth.
In the light of the last events, don't expect to see the "heavy" modders and modding team showing up... they wont.
Already a lot from the Nexus community jumped on... modders throats, already the same scenario from the pay mods uproar from the past year is repeating again with almost the same comentrolls !

It's tragic ( but also somehow fun for me ) to see how the Nexus community is tearing appart from inside out again, with a little push from Beth.
It seems that a lot of people here don't understand a simple fact : THERE IS NO COMMUNITY!
Nexus was, is and it will be a DOWNLOAD hub, regular users DON'T care from where they download a mod, as long is free., no matter is a PC mod or a console mod.
The immense majority of the users from Nexus and world wide don't give a sht about IP, copyright or mod stealing, they only want to download for FREE a lot of mods also for FREE, maybe less than 1.5% really care about what is happening ( from 10 mil registered users!)

Here on Dark0ne post page ( !!! ) there a lot of comentrolls insulting moders ( Douchebags, morons, spoiled child's, how many mods have you uploaded than ME... sound familiar?). Have someone reported them to sanitise the air?...

This very noisy and violent group of comentrolls have shifted the discussion from console modding and IP protection to modders morale and intentions... again.

Don't expect soon the great modders, they won't return to this toxic environment.

Have a nice day !

cridus wrote: and where will they go? I mean, if they want to keep modding.
WiIIPWN4KFC wrote: @cridus That's just it, they don't need to share their mods.

"9. Mod authors make mods for themselves first, and you second. If the second part, you, becomes too much of a problem for them, they’ll simply not want to share them with you at all."

mmh I'm pretty sure that those modders that make huge mods with side quests, many npcs, etc. don't do them for themselves. also because, since they made them, they aren't gonna enjoy them as much as other people would, since they already know absolutely everything about them.

In response to post #39496935. #39498440, #39499350, #39500145 are all replies on the same post.

Marnevel wrote: Hmm 5,000 words to address something that should be common sense. Nice post and you have definitely earned the removal of ad block on your site 0_0 Just you know, don't spam me like crazy, and thank you for supporting the mod community
MikeW1985 wrote: i did the same thing after reading your reply. Respect to Dark0ne for taking the time to write all that.
WiIIPWN4KFC wrote: Me too. From this moment forward I will put up with those annoying ads to support the Nexus.
hlifehotdog wrote: I really don't find the ads that annoying on Nexus. No nasty popups or anything. The team here really do a good job to not allow bad ads.

Good work guys!

I almost want to take that back, just spotted a sex toy ad involving a bunch of black rods and one with beads. Edited by WiIIPWN4KFC

Anyone who knows anything about labor unions knows that companies will never treat anyone with fairness unless it is to their benefit. That's just a fact. If the workers form a union they can actually influence policy.

I think the best bet to resolve these recurring issues with Bethesda is for the mod authors to organize. If you make all the mods, and the mods make the game more profitable, you should have a say in the policies regarding them. Get together and go on strike.

I think Elianora is the only one who handled the situation appropriately. Blocking your mods is the best way to say, "These are my mods and I have the authority over them."

Now imagine if all the mod authors did the same thing. Do you think they might get off their asses and change policy? Mod authors wouldn't even have to stop modding, just stop sharing until Bethesda policed their site.

In response to post #39498625. #39499265, #39499445, #39500430 are all replies on the same post.

Cube Experimental
A Note Easily Mist
A Quest for Heaven 1

Fallout 4

In the light of the last events, don't expect to see the "heavy" modders and modding team showing up... they wont.
Already a lot from the Nexus community jumped on... modders throats, already the same scenario from the pay mods uproar from the past year is repeating again with almost the same comentrolls !

It's tragic ( but also somehow fun for me ) to see how the Nexus community is tearing appart from inside out again, with a little push from Beth.
It seems that a lot of people here don't understand a simple fact : THERE IS NO COMMUNITY!
Nexus was, is and it will be a DOWNLOAD hub, regular users DON'T care from where they download a mod, as long is free., no matter is a PC mod or a console mod.
The immense majority of the users from Nexus and world wide don't give a sht about IP, copyright or mod stealing, they only want to download for FREE a lot of mods also for FREE, maybe less than 1.5% really care about what is happening ( from 10 mil registered users!)

Here on Dark0ne post page ( !!! ) there a lot of comentrolls insulting moders ( Douchebags, morons, spoiled child's, how many mods have you uploaded than ME... sound familiar?). Have someone reported them to sanitise the air?...

This very noisy and violent group of comentrolls have shifted the discussion from console modding and IP protection to modders morale and intentions... again.

Don't expect soon the great modders, they won't return to this toxic environment.

Have a nice day !

"9. Mod authors make mods for themselves first, and you second. If the second part, you, becomes too much of a problem for them, they’ll simply not want to share them with you at all."
cridus wrote: mmh I'm pretty sure that those modders that make huge mods with side quests, many npcs, etc. don't do them for themselves. also because, since they made them, they aren't gonna enjoy them as much as other people would, since they already know absolutely everything about them.

I am curious as to what the release dates are on those four major quest mods were compared to the CK release date..
I am no mod creator on that level but I would think that less than two months past a BETA release on the CK isn't much time to be releasing huge quest mods but I could be wrong.

*edit to add that I guess I disagree with the OP and that given time, they (large quest mods) will come Edited by metalguy7312

In response to post #39498625. #39499265, #39499445, #39500430, #39500805 are all replies on the same post.

Cube Experimental
A Note Easily Mist
A Quest for Heaven 1

Fallout 4

Have a nice day !

cridus wrote: mmh I'm pretty sure that those modders that make huge mods with side quests, many npcs, etc. don't do them for themselves. also because, since they made them, they aren't gonna enjoy them as much as other people would, since they already know absolutely everything about them.
metalguy7312 wrote: I am curious as to what the release dates are on those four major quest mods were compared to the CK release date..
I am no mod creator on that level but I would think that less than two months past a BETA release on the CK isn't much time to be releasing huge quest mods but I could be wrong.

*edit to add that I guess I disagree with the OP and that given time, they (large quest mods) will come

Completely spot on. OP hit the nail directly on the head.

In response to post #39493020. #39493465, #39494175, #39494320, #39494820, #39495215, #39495510, #39495745, #39495875, #39496060, #39496080, #39496750, #39496960, #39497070, #39497535, #39497750, #39498490, #39498745, #39498845 are all replies on the same post.

arkancelo wrote: I stopped reading after some time.

This elementary prose is full of s#*!.

Dramaqueens (modders who cry when other people are able to enjoy their mods) need to grow up.

My God, what's this ego?

"I created you, you shall know my name, follow my cult and worship me!" - Abrahamic God/Average Modder

Seriously, just be happy that people can actually enjoy the content you made. Douchbags.
LightningYu wrote: So you say, its deserved that some poeple can simple steal things from other people, and you don't care because you can play the Mod on your Console. And you critize the modders for their ego. You are much more egoistic than any of these modders, which make the Content you can Enjoy in their free-time, where most people like Mod-User or the one who steals the mods are in 100years to lazy do their own work. How about you make an great mod, and than look how your own thing will be taken away, but why should you care, everyon cans play it. The way you act, shows now respect towards the modders,...

We will see, if modders keep modding when people still keep thefting or if modders find a way so their Mods works only on PC. Than we will see if console-players will still be happy, however (and no i'm not against Console-Gaming, because i myself also own an X1, PS4 and WiiU and half of my childhood i grew up with console) if you ask me, with that attitude by console-players you guys not even deserved mod-support.
Red890 wrote: While I also stopped reading after a while (It really was very long and repetitious),

I don't understand how you not only missed the point entirely, but have such a backwards and stupid view on how modding works. Modders don't like their work being stolen. I don't like my work being stolen (although I use Steam Workshop mostly). We spend dozens of hours or more (depending on mod size) working on projects we think are cool and are interesting for the community without pay.

The LEAST we deserve is credit for the work we've done and where the content WE produce can be distributed. Having some brainless shitlord include my map or skin in some stupid, bloated "l337 pack" doesn't make me happy. It makes me outright furious if they attempt to claim it as their own.

Now, I don't know if you're simply stupid, or if you are simply a petulant child that doesn't know much effort goes into making a good mod (maybe you're both), but saying "just be happy people can enjoy the content your made, even if they deliberately stole it and didn't credit you" has GOT to be the most retarded thing written this year.

By that insipid logic, movie credits shouldn't be a thing. Authors, musicians, and game developers should all remove their names from their work. After all, it doesn't matter who steals or copies it since those original creators should be HAPPY that people can enjoy their content, regardless of if they're credited or not.

I for one would be overjoyed to spend 100 hours working on a CSGO level for the explicit purpose of letting some 12 year old steal it, and claim original ownership. In fact, I should probably thank them, right?

daedriccat wrote: You can't just come in and demand what you want. It's that simple.
RaffTheSweetling wrote: Isn't it always the way. The people who've never endorsed a thing here, never added a mod of their own, or even a picture for others to enjoy, want to share their "valuable insights" on how authors should really feel when their work is stolen. It's incredible.
arn13 wrote: If you can't be bothered to read the entire thing, then at least copy and ctrl+F search for this section: "Why should mod authors care about others taking their work? Surely they release mods so that as many people as possible can enjoy them?"

It's not a question about someone having too much "ego." It's about having respect for other people's effort to actually create content for everyone to enjoy.
Shosholada wrote: + the point:

End of story.

I wish to have option to block some users from my mods ;)
MysticalFlare wrote: Congrats on doing the complete opposite of what this article is trying to achieve.
jim_uk wrote: Files=0 Images=0 Videos=0 Friends=0 Endorsements Given=0 Files Tagged=0

Three years you've been here and you've contributed nothing at all.
Gilles19870 wrote: Ehhh no.. They made it for themselves first.. community second.. and if you just download the PC version, then alter it through the Creation Kit for console use.. then you're an thief. The original owner owns the rights to the mod.

The least you can do, if you reverse enigneer the mod, is credit the original maker.

If paid modding is to start on Bethesda's own site.. you have thiefs making a profit on somebody else's hard work.. that could open a whole sh*tload of complaints, and legal issues.

I understand Bethesda wanting their "own" mod site. Gives them great insight what the community wants in a new game.. but make sure the maker of the mod is the original maker. And not somebody that reversed engineered the mod from a pc version.
UlanX wrote: I don't think it's a god complex. I think it's more of a case of people are tired of the blatant sense of entitlement among some members of the gaming "community" (as reflected by your attitude). It's the same attitude you see on various forums where people are demanding, not asking, devs for this, that and the next thing. Claiming they know better than anyone else and basically being a selfish keyboard warrior. People who spend hours making content for others to enjoy at least deserve to be acknowledged and decide where, when and how their content is used.

Otherwise what I can see happening is people breaking off into smaller, closed modding guilds/groups and just producing content for a close knit community they know they can trust. I guess it's a case of "don't bite the hand that feeds you".
jagdhundnull wrote: @arkancelo

In all honesty, I think it's really difficult for you to make that argument when you seemingly haven't contributed anything to the community in 3 years.

And before you write me off as just another egotistical mod author, I'm not -- I too have no mods uploaded like yourself, and in 7 years at that. But I do enjoy and support the efforts of the mod authors, especially given the fact some of them have to deal with seeming toddlers clamoring for updates/fixes/new features as if the mod author doesn't have their own life to attend to. And don't get me started on the people who actively subscribe to the Fallout 4 betas and then complain to mod authors when the voluntary and ever-changing beta patches break the mod...

All that said, yeah, there are douchey mod authors here and there. Happens everywhere. But, while not having published any mods myself, I have made several personal ones, and can attest to the days, sometimes even weeks that can be spent on testing what you're trying to do to get it right. And that's just some simple stuff. Some of these mod authors have been working on their mods here and there since last November.

In the end, remember one thing about all this: the modding community is just that -- a community. It's voluntary. People donate time from their lives to provide this for the enjoyment of others. For them it's an achievement and also a bit fun. But if they become burnt out on the community, if it's no longer fun nor a positive thing for them, why should they even bother sharing mods?

When all the great mod authors on this website decide to pack up and move on with their lives, can we depend on you to give us the game-changing masterpieces?
Th3 Duk3 wrote: Now there's an idea: I'm not aloud to get mad for people stealing food out of my home, cause "other people should also be able to enjoy my food"

*facepalm*
khalkists wrote: Cool. So that means I should be able to come and take your computer right? Its yours, but, well... I should be able to enjoy it, irregardless of if you want to give it to me.
jguerr73 wrote: just wow
Red Titus wrote: If I may. I know how much work is involved in making mod. It's not just sketch things up and upload them. The programs that are involved, the effort in LEARNING how to use these tools. Nifscope, photoshop and others that even the author gives credit .It all takes time...I'll be honest with ya. I've tried to use some of these programs, and just could not get it. Yeah, you have some modders with ego trips. But you know what? It's deserved. Time, effort and a lot of patience. I've been a gamer since the Atari era. Blocks for graphics and paddles the size of tennis rackets. Well maybe a little exaggerated . I too owned many consoles and enjoyed them very much. And still own a ps4, and maybe the ps4.5 in the future. When I heard that they where going to suped up the ps4 or even Xbox1, first thing that came to my mind ,they're going to be able to run the more powerful mods. If feel even though mods are free, I still should contribute something. If not financially, how about endorsements. I'am baffled by how many downloads and so little endorsements. And the sad thing is many of the authors only as for endorsements. Hence "please endorse". One thing both the pc and console people have in common, we enjoy playing video games. WE'RE GAMERS. But when I download a mod, I don't take it for granted. And am very thankful to the modding community for the work they've done, free of charge. Even this site is free. Thank you modders for your free stuff. And I will continue to at the very least endorse your stuff. Again, thank you...
cridus wrote: @arkancelo

lol you REALLY should have kept reading, because this argument you raised is covered near the end. search this in the page: "Why should mod authors care about others taking their work? Surely they release mods so that as many people as possible can enjoy them?"

and feel stupid.

edit: wow I had this page open for a while. I've probably been ninja'd several times, lol
Tinypigs wrote: So, you're evaluating a text that you yourself specifically claimed to not have read. And you expect your opinion to be considered valid? No. It's not. Read the text, where he talks about exactly the type of thing you are raging at, and THEN comment on it.

And in regards to your depressingly over-cynical image of all mod authors, do you not see how insanely unreasonable it is for you to have reached this level of entitlement over something other people have put THEIR OWN TIME into and you get to enjoy FOR FREE?! Come on. Even if a mod author is a total shitface, you have absolutely no right to demand anything.

Your role is simple. In this particular case you are only a consumer. Your only power lies in either using a mod, or not using it. Yet you for some reason seem to think that you enjoying someones content gives you a say in what they should or shouldn't do with it. Almost like the author should be thanking you for your "gracious consumption".

NO! THATS NOT HOW AUTHORSHIP WORKS!
Tinypigs wrote: Yeah this OP managed most idiotic comment i've seen in this entire discussion.

YOU are why we can't have nice things.

almost want to take that back, just spotted a sex toy ad involving a bunch of black rods and one with beads.

Please report that ad If you don't report then we will never know as ads are targeted and not everyone sees the same ads. The ad window has a report button. Use that or we will have no clue where it came from.

If it doesn't have the report button, then it is not from Nexus and the ads on your computer are being hijacked. :pinch:

In response to post #39480240.

Vagrant0 wrote:

Posting a general reminder to people that although this is a heated topic, name calling and inciting others to hostility is not tolerated on this site. Have instituted a pair of 24 hour posting bans already to a pair of users who just could not calm down and avoid being personal. Other warnings will follow if necessary.

We can discuss, we can argue the validity of one point or another, but the moment you start insulting others you only serve to distract from the topic at hand. You don't have to agree, you don't have to like eachother, but you should remain respectful. The baiting, name calling, and general hostility needs to stop.

Does that include the OP?

Because the entire essay is filled with baiting, name calling, and general hostility, and by this website's own moderation standards, it should have already been deleted.

If the owner of this website is not prepared to hold himself to the same standards he mandates for the rest of the community, then why should anyone else?*

*Rhetorical question. I intend to continue to abide by the rules. But as a member of the Nexus Modding Community (regardless of whether I'm a supporter/premium or not), I expect said community's representative to the world at large to do the same. And so should everyone else.

There is nothing wrong with mods for consoles. I think it's pretty cool they can enjoy them now too. I say that as a die-hard fan of pc gaming. If it was implemented correctly and mod authors were protected, this would be a very awesome addition to the community of modders/users, despite the modding learning curve ahead of them. It takes a lot of finesse to get your game working correctly with a lot of mods and console users are not used to that at all.

Unless Bethesda changes something drastically within their games that makes modding them less crashy, I don't see this as an easy transition and mod authors have the right to not want to deal with it.

Bethesda/Zenimax has gotten greedy though. I have always loved their games but the quality has gone downhill. Skyrim was a huge bugfest right out of the box. ESO is well... Okay, I'm not going there. Fallout 4 seems better to me so far but I only just started playing it this last month.

If you expected more from them with their own modding site, I'm shocked. They are going to drive away the best mod authors with practices like these but should any of us be surprised after the cash grab from last year?

The modding community, literally, made Bethesda games what they are today. I finished Skyrim back in Dec 2011 and I *only* play Skyrim now because of all the great mods made for it. I can go back and play Oblivion from 10 years ago and still enjoy it due entirely to mods. Same with the Fallout series. The only reason I continue to buy their games is because of how you can customize them with mods. Otherwise, there are game developers who put out far better quality games in their vanilla state. If it weren't for the modding potential, I probably would never have bought Skyrim.

It's sad that Bethesda either doesn't realize this or doesn't care about the impact modders have on their games.

It's the same trap Blizzard fell into. When you get wildly popular, you start letting what made you great slip for the sake of pulling in more money.

Edited by lsinsocal