On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

How about, as a way to counter piracy, to add a useless script requiring F4SE to any mod that you don't want on consoles. It wouldn't work, right? I don't know too much about modding but making it not work or crash on console seems like a good way to curtail the theft of a mod. It's like those magnetic strips that deactivate stolen goods at the store. (I think).

Considering 'breaking' consoles is what is already happening because of "stolen" console mods, supposedly, this is an unnecessary and also very shitty tactic. It won't stop stolen mods, in the slightest.

Also, sabotaging a $300 console, intentionally, is criminal. The people on console, the users, that just want to augment their game DO NOT know the difference between a legit mod, and a stolen mod UNLESS they are veteran PC users, as well. You are burning a village of perfectly normal, innocent people, to catch one thief. That is insanity.

((Edit: I realize you mean just crash the game, but there are already stories of corrupted savegames, and bricked xboxes. No idea which stories are legit, but its already circulating.))

Edited by boomerizer

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok us posting / porting mods without author permission should be a given. The reason Bethesda. net exists is because of the number of talented Modders in the community. anyone who can look at the "new" dlc's and not grasp that at least one of them is based on a current f4 mod (displays) has missed something. Beth claims control and ownership of mods as theirs to use as they will. By hosting their own site the have access to a fresh idea pool and with the ck can go into a mod see see how it works and possibly use what they have learned. The legality of it ?? who knows, you can't post a picture online without the possibility of it being used by somebody claiming public domain.

In response to post #39585685.

boomerizer wrote:

I'm almost afraid to post anything, less the torches and pitchforks come back.

The only thing that can happen to console mods:

1) Scrapped entirely. But if this happens, it won't just be console mods, it'll be mods for Bethesda games entirely. Mods merely augment the experience. They aren't essential to it.

2) Paid mods. Highly unlikely, actually. Console users already have to pay a subscription service on top of internet service, and on top of buying the game and often, the DLC for it. Paid mods will definitely make mod thieving exponentially worse. ((EDIT: I'd also like to point out that this paid mods bullshit is currently baseless. Sure, it may have happened with Steam Workshop in this manner, but it is highly unlike they will attempt it again on another platform just because they did it on the first platform. There is nothing confirming that this is where Bethesda is going with it, and I refuse to follow that fire of mindless dribble and fear. If you have proof that Todd Howard [or any Bethesda spokesperson] has said that they plan on making mods paid, then you have an argument to stand on-- if not, well...stop talking about it? Because it is wasted effort.))

3) Things will continue going as they are going. May slow down for a bit, due to the growing pains, but all in all, the world will carry on.

4. Bethesda will try to find a solution without doing any of these. Sure it'll take time, but it's better than any of these other decisions.

In response to post #39589525.

kevindad1 wrote: Pretty much everything has the "release now, fix later" treatment. That's not to say that what you're saying is wrong though.

And why are people talking about paid mods? Bethesda knows that that failed. Do you really think that they'll attempt that again? How would they make it work anyway.

In response to post #39585685.

boomerizer wrote:

I'm almost afraid to post anything, less the torches and pitchforks come back.

The only thing that can happen to console mods:

1) Scrapped entirely. But if this happens, it won't just be console mods, it'll be mods for Bethesda games entirely. Mods merely augment the experience. They aren't essential to it.

2) Paid mods. Highly unlikely, actually. Console users already have to pay a subscription service on top of internet service, and on top of buying the game and often, the DLC for it. Paid mods will definitely make mod thieving exponentially worse. ((EDIT: I'd also like to point out that this paid mods bulls*** is currently baseless. Sure, it may have happened with Steam Workshop in this manner, but it is highly unlike they will attempt it again on another platform just because they did it on the first platform. There is nothing confirming that this is where Bethesda is going with it, and I refuse to follow that fire of mindless dribble and fear. If you have proof that Todd Howard [or any Bethesda spokesperson] has said that they plan on making mods paid, then you have an argument to stand on-- if not, well...stop talking about it? Because it is wasted effort.))

3) Things will continue going as they are going. May slow down for a bit, due to the growing pains, but all in all, the world will carry on.

4. Bethesda will try to find a solution without doing any of these. Sure it'll take time, but it's better than any of these other decisions.

That is, if the mod authors will give Bethesda time to do it.

In response to post #39589525.

kevindad1 wrote: Pretty much everything has the "release now, fix later" treatment. That's not to say that what you're saying is wrong though.

And why are people talking about paid mods? Bethesda knows that that failed. Do you really think that they'll attempt that again? How would they make it work anyway.

It's pure conjecture, and paranoia. "My mods are being stolen, and Bethesda isn't doing anything about it, they must be preparing to make mods paid." I don't know what their line of logic is, but there were several mentions of Bethesda planning on making paid mods for one reason or another-- purely baseless.

In response to post #39463830.

ThreshProductions wrote: Totally agree, Bethesda needs to sort their s#*! and people need to stop taking work that isn't theirs.

Consoles can have mods, no problem, but it becomes an issue when it begins to affect the already-existing modding community.

#makemoddinggreatagain

Moved to the global response.
Edited by KeltecRFB

It's more than just Bethesda, it seems the community is also more aggressive. I don't know if it is because with a larger user base, the 10% bad apples are more noticeable or because Fallout 4 was derailed from traditional Fallout genre and it has attracted a new set of users and modders not seen in Fallout 3/New Vegas or Skyrim. I notice a lot of new modders and mod users, and a lack of the Old Timers from Fallout 3/New Vegas community. Personally, I think the Fallout 3/New Vegas was the best community as far as everyone being mostly cool with the rare drama here and there. Edited by KeltecRFB

. [...] The people on console, the users, that just want to augment their game DO NOT know the difference between a legit mod, and a stolen mod UNLESS they are veteran PC users, as well. You are burning a village of perfectly normal, innocent people, to catch one thief. That is insanity.

Ignorance can't be an excuse, no one is innocent.

Why don't you go and spend some time to educate them?