Skyrim is Very Disappointing, A Major Let-Down.

David Brasher

And by the way, you can get AMD video cards that are in the 6000 series (6970, 6750,6550, etc.....) for around eighty bucks or a little higher on tigerdirect because they put them on sale from time to time so there you go. There really isn't much reason for a die hard pc gaming person to not build up a good rig. It took me three years for me to get where I am at, so go figure.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats funny, i have a Q8300 (decent but nowhere near as fast as the newer processors), a crappy old second-hand 9800GT and an amzing 2 gigabytes of ram. i run the game on high settings annd the only time my fps drops below 40 is in a couple of towns. Obviously theres something wrong with your computer.

Skyrim actually runs BETTER than OBLIVION

This is my experience also. It's odd that the OP has reverse experience, maybe Skyrim is optimised for newer PC/graphic cards (thiough I'm not sure how that can be).

In particular I don't get the plummeting frame rates with crowds of npcs that I still get with oblivion and my loading times are not slower with skyrim... quite the reverse they are much much faster (a matter of a second at most).

Skyrim does run better then Oblivion in every possible way.

I have been playing it for at least forty hours and have only had to use the console twice to fix a issue. If this was Oblivion or fallout I would have had to use the console at least ten times.

Also Skyrim has only crashed once, and that was due to something popping up in the background. I can't play Oblivion or Fallout without in crashing every twenty minutes.

The OP never says exactly what it is he has, just that it's an "above-average, all-purpose computer", and that he bought it a year ago (or so). For all he knows, it had been sitting on that shelf for 2 years prior to that. The point is, one should read the box (or digital equivalent), before purchasing a game. Not that I haven't made that mistake myself. As far as Skyrim goes, it's going to be *a while* before I get it, because it's physically impossible to run on my computer :(

oh come on guys. Its not that Bethesda publishes a new Elder Scrolls game every week.

Between Oblivion and Skyrim are 5 long years (eternity in computer timescale). We can´t expect Bethesda to scale things down to every Office PC out there can we?

I myself was very sceptic about Skyrim. It had big shoes to fit in. In my Opinion (and thats just that...my Opinion, no facts, no universal truths) it did that quite well.

Investing Money in a new Computer after 5 years or even after 2 years should be not that big a deal for someone who likes to play on PC. There is still the Option of Consoles for those who, lets say dont want to afford it.

Anyway, I have no doubt, that Oblivion will continue to exist and even get some "sweet love" from Modders. I am also sure, that there are some Modders who worked years on a mod for Oblivion and continue working. Mods will be published for Oblivion for months or years to come.

So all is well.

P.S. there is actually a lot to gain by waiting. Lets say you wait to play Skyrim for six Months where you have enough Money to get a new nice Rig. You will be able to buy Skyrim for a nice Price (maybe half or even less than the actual price), there will be some quality, large mods out there, most of the Bugs will be gone and if you have bought a fast PC you can enjoy Skyrim in its full Glory.

OP forgot to mention that his general purpose computer has 3 different anti-virus programs running in the background, 6 different spyware toolbars in his browser because he likes to click "Yes" to all dialog boxes, and he's watching Harold and Kumar on netflix on the 2nd monitor.

Stupid Bethesda making shoddy games......

Love both Skyrim and Oblivion but cant talk crap because it just came and the mod tools etc arent out. i have a HP pavilion dv6 from like 2008? ( good luck fixing it so it can play on this machine with out slide showing and freezing.) i cant run the game at super high graphics its more like Oblivion on the Xbox 360 but bit crappy. after play i am so use to it the graphics don't bug me. If you really love the game you make sacrifices to play if you don't have a home made $2,000+ computer. :ninja:

Plz people stop complaining after a few months and mods come out it gets better and things get fixed by then you have money for upgrades by saving or not idk.