Contraptions is Out - First Impressions

RaffTheSweetling

The warehouse kit is literally the barn kit with a different skin, except it has less pieces as well.

Also can you really not produce stuff if your out in the wasteland?

Yes, thanks. I noticed that already. I still like it and plan to make good use of it though.

I don't know and can't really say I care. I'm sure the machines are great for people that want them. They're just not something I'm interested in. No big deal.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you need to load the raw resources into the manufacturing machine itself rather than simply draw them from the workbench is a bit grating, especially for old files where you may have resources all over the Commonwealth. For a new file I suppose you could make a point to stash raw resources where your factories are, though it becomes a greater strain on Survival Characters. As for me, my next character will be played on normal because 1) I've proven to myself I can survive on survival mode and 2) I don't want to deal with the stress and time-loss of the higher difficulty modes. So I should be able to make some use of these manufacturing machines later.

As a settlement builder, I found the mention of an Auto-Loom interesting because that may bypass the need to get a legendary cloth merchant if you want to outfit your settlers with uniform attire. I am not home right now so I can't look at all of the new things available but maybe later I will be able to assess my options.

The scaffolding on display sounds useful if I can use such to make effective turret platforms. Before I just used wood shack foundations.

Also, does anyone know if 1) the power armor display requires a power armor frame to prop up the armor and 2) (if so) whether settlers can still steal your power armor off of it during an attack? Same with the weapon racks, can settlers steal the weapons off of them?

My greatest disappointment, though not at all poignant, is that nothing is done with regard to legendary modifications in this DLC. You can't make legendary weapons, mass-produce them, or detach their legendary components. Which is fine, that is why we have good mods. But I always found the vanilla legendary system disappointingly narrow if refreshingly on the other end of the spectrum of Elder Scroll VI: Skyrim's overpowered enchantments. I suppose it's possible they will throw that into the last Nuka-Cola DLC just so players will want to have it for at least that reason.

Edited by CyrusAmell

I tried installing this at midnight (US EDT) and it wasn't available. Waited until 1 am and it still wasn't available. I left and played Witcher 3 for a bit but checked again right before bed around 4 am and it was finally available. I haven't had a chance to look at everything yet though.

And it's already being modded too.

I can't wait to see a detailed list of production items and their costs, as this may change some equations regarding the arming of settlers (for me at least). If we only had a shared inventory among settlements, or even a mass mail system, as that would really expedite the creation of properly outfitted settlements. As it stands, we are stuck personally carting this stuff around.

Edited by CyrusAmell

No. It is100% player centered as I understand it. If you don't care, it doesn't matter. It was made available with the idea of YouTube Videos in mind.

Were you replying to me? If so, I don't quite understand. Sorry for that, but what does it do?

I feel kinda meh about the whole thing and rather underwhelmed to be honest. Bethesda wasted time and money doing this rather than story DLC and for me that's a tough pill to swallow. Furthermore the contraptions aren't the most intuitive to use. I have mortars and fireworks set up to a terminal but with no idea on who to fire them. I took me a while to figure out that I needed to load junk into the convener belt just to get it to spit things out.

hope somebody mods this dlc to make it fun

Good news, it's already fun.

Seriously you don't need to defend bethesda every time someone says they're not happy with the game or DLC. Some of us do not find the dlc or lacking parts of the game all that fun and that's okay. You like the game congrats for you, now have a cookie.