Crafting armor and weapons has killed the game for me!!

danny13d

Ingots should be removed from merchant loot tables and the problem is solved. It won't be so "easy" levelling smithing to 100 if there isn't an unlimited supply of ingots, leather, and straps 5 feet away from the forges in every town.

I'm level 29 and have only now just managed to craft my first piece of glass armor. I figured I would have found some ebony, glass, or daedric items in the loots tables by now, but haven't. If it wasn't for the fact that blacksmith sell ingots, i'd still be using the elven armor I got off of a wandering band of Thalmor when I was level 8! I find it amazing how some people's experiences can differ so radically.

Exactly! I said the same thing a few pages back. Just remove ingots from merchants (completely or just remove high quality ingots and leave very few iron and steel) and problem is solved. You'll spit blood to get enough orichalcum to make Orcish weapons and armor so yeah Smithing in that case SHOULD be powerful. You shouldn't spent 20~ish hours looking for orichalcum only to craft a lousy weapon with it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even by removing ingots, it's not hard to get smithing up. Because I'm cheap, I've been going out and slaughtering every hide dropping animal I see. In an hour or so, I can easily get 70 leather.

And, I don't think anyone will find armor better than the smithing/enchanting armor. I've created some pretty ridiculously powerful items. +108% to two hand, 27% archery, and I can improve my armor/weapons ridiculous amounts. When I improved my warhammer, it added 40 additional damage.

I jumped from a set of dwarf armor to full dragon/daedric. All I did to level my smithing was craft a few hundred iron daggers. It probably didn't cost me significantly more gold than buying my house did. Smithing is definitely a joke in this game, but since I generally hate crafting systems in any RPG, it doesn't bother me that I was able to get it out of the way so easily.

People griping about the crafting system making it too easy when it's not something they have to do is like cheating on your wife just because there's a pretty girl nearby. Just because it's there doesn't mean you HAVE to do it!

DyingAtheist brings up some good points. I have to admit though dude, (been watching your videos) when I saw you forging 50 daggers I thought "Hey, kind of reminds me of WoW" followed by "I've seen enough crafting abuse to know where this is going..." not that I think you will, mind.

Mods could easily bring this into balance. Make certain ingots more rare, additional materials more rare, or even a quest to learn to forge Daedric. A hard one. From a Dremora, and they aren't keen on teaching mortals their ways...just how I would do such a thing (My ideas aren't 100% lore and I won't pretend otherwise).

Think it would be better to lower the ingots merchants has, and to increase the difficulty needed to level the skill up. That way at least if you're short of one lonely ingot you could still buy it.

How about scaling the armor against skill? For egsample Daedric Armor can only be effectively worn at heavy armor skill at 90. Those with lower skill can still wear the armor but will slow down the character, proportionate to the skill needed(regardless of the perk that ignores armor speed). I'm sure there's a mod coming our way to make this better.

Patiently waiting for the creation kit/construction set to be released.

I don't understand how you got so much stuff so quickly? I have been playing for 30 hours and the strongest piece of armor I found is a Dwarven helmet? Of course, I'm on Master Difficulty but still... where did you find the materials to make Daedric armor etc. so quickly?

Once you get to like lvl 20ish you can find ebony ingots in general stores and smiths. The hearts can be bought from someone in the mages college. It's pretty easy tbh.

This is nothing. You could run off and steal amazingly good armour about 10 minutes into Morrowind. Hell,
. Let's not even get into the Chameleon skill...