Nexus Mod Manager focus group needs more help

TheTokenGeek

How would profile sharing handle self-made patches (using Wrye Bashed, xEdit, etc.) that are often required for compatibility?

I assume we'll need to upload those files ourselves, and then download them as a mod from Nexusmods.

What about settings, such as when mods have options when installing, or .ini edits? Can NMM detect exactly what installation options were chosen? Can users choose "pick option A or B here" in their shared profile, regarding which version of a mod to install?

How would the shared profile handle versions? Will it download up-to-date versions of every mod, or the exact version specified in the profile? And if that version isn't available, will it warn the users, or download the latest one?

When one mod overrides the files from another mod, will the profile/NMM know which files are to be overridden by which files? Will it know the order of installation?

I'm skeptical of this claim about "one-click installation". There's far too much variance in mods for things to be that simple (which is why console- & workshop mods won't ever reach the height of nexusmods), unless the tool is incredibly smart and allows for a very complicated, detailed setup by the profile creator.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #39959285.

iSagan wrote: I recently installed Nexus Mod Manager as an alternative to other mod managers, because its much more user friendly to people who are completely new to the mod scene. I have never modded a game in my life before Fallout 4 a couple of days ago. I managed to download a small Console mod for survival mode (which disables the console) so that I could fix bugs and issues I encounter. I worked fine, downloading and activating was extremely smooth and simple. I was 1 large mod away from going platinum just to show appreciation (I was ridiculously happy I thought it would be very complicated). HOWEVER, 3 days later, after playing Fallout 4 when ever I was on the computer, the Nexus Mod Manager has stopped working entirely. I follow the instructions with complete comprehension, I install the mod via NMM and attempt to activate the mods. Most of the time they activate, other times they won't. Either way, active or not, the mods now make no difference. I get it all working, according to the manager and all the help on the forums I could get, but for some reason the mods never appear in game. I tested with a Dialogue mod, after I manually install it myself and avoid interactions with the Nexus it works 100%. When I try WITH the Nexus, it didn't work.

I might be in a small group, but either way, you're losing money and support. Fix the bugs and give us some better tech support before you throw your current version into the trash to add flashier UIs otherwise it will be another 6 months before you even return to the people like me. Whats worse about all this hassle which chewed up 40 hours of my time and gave me a persistant head ache, is now I can't play Fallout 4 after seeing the amazing mods that are out there.

Before you blame the tools, be sure they are whats responsible. It sounds to me like your experiencing a plugins.txt reset or soemthing to that avail.

Have you enabled mods correctly?

Is your game installed to the default directory? (Program Files/Steam etc) if so then consider installing your game outside of Program Files, and be sure to run it as an administrator or you may have troubles copying files (not an NMM issue but an issue with Windows UAC).

There's a plethora of other things that could be going wrong, there's also updates that come from Fallout 4 that have a tendency to screw up mod functionality, speicifically when FO4 is beta testing updates, so always keep that in mind.

Anyway, this is a freeware mod manager and a free website (sure they have premium but that is in no way forced and free users have full finctionality of the site!) so cut them some slack. Theres really not a lot, if any, money that comes from this site, most of the people running it are volunteers and yet they are dveeloping tools to cater for millions of different hardware setups... errors will happen, instead of pointing fingers do a bit of troubleshooting yourself to try fix the problem as its likely a user error on your side.

In response to post #39998665.

turulo wrote: The feature I really REALLY want to see is a way to disable virtual file thing. Just to be optional.

I think I should explain a little more why. When you bodyslide stuff you modify the source mod files (and not the link) so if you screw up or want to revert to the original, you have to reinstall (completely) the mod which affects all profiles.

I'm not putting a trust in NMM anymore. A thing so small like steam not detecting me playing Witcher 3 when launched from NMM, didn't get fixed even after like 4 months and you want to add new features , great. Edited by PirateZ86

In response to post #40001115.

PirateZ86 wrote: I'm not putting a trust in NMM anymore. A thing so small like steam not detecting me playing Witcher 3 when launched from NMM, didn't get fixed even after like 4 months and you want to add new features , great.

That's not an NMM thing, as far as I can tell. It's a Steam thing. Steam doesn't detect me playing Fallout 3, even though I've played the entire game twice. But it picks up all my other games (Well, other than Oblivion, but that's because I'm not using the Steam version) without fail.

In response to post #39998665. #39998910 is also a reply to the same post.

turulo wrote: The feature I really REALLY want to see is a way to disable virtual file thing. Just to be optional.
turulo wrote: I think I should explain a little more why. When you bodyslide stuff you modify the source mod files (and not the link) so if you screw up or want to revert to the original, you have to reinstall (completely) the mod which affects all profiles.

I don't use versions of NMM with this feature, for various reasons. I agree with your general sentiment that this feature should have a toggle.

However, in this particular case, couldn't Bodyslide generated files be installed to the profile folder of choice, and not to the data folder (either manually by generating to Bodyslide folder and copy/pasting out, or by changing the default path for Bodyslide generated files when needed)? In that case, your Bodyslide files would be part of a profile and not loose files in the data folder that would be universal.

DO NOT USE NMM use instead MO (Mod Organizer). NMM puts all mods into your game data folders and over/re writes several files, which over time if you change mods alot will ruin your base game files (making game unplayable and having your redownload whole game). Now MO on the other hand puts all mods into a mod only folder within MO. When you run the game, it creates a virtual folder to run games (ie skyrim, fo4, fonv, ect) with the mods you have active. Not to mention when it comes to same files from different mods rewriting over and over again, MO uses a priority list (such as a texture file from mods A B C and D, if in order of A-1, C-2, B-3, D-4 it will use the texture file from mod D as 4 is higher then 1.) Now MO also has some advanced features, but you'd have to go to youtude and watch some videos on that.

In response to post #39992605.

Risakisa wrote: How would profile sharing handle self-made patches (using Wrye Bashed, xEdit, etc.) that are often required for compatibility?

I assume we'll need to upload those files ourselves, and then download them as a mod from Nexusmods.

What about settings, such as when mods have options when installing, or .ini edits? Can NMM detect exactly what installation options were chosen? Can users choose "pick option A or B here" in their shared profile, regarding which version of a mod to install?

How would the shared profile handle versions? Will it download up-to-date versions of every mod, or the exact version specified in the profile? And if that version isn't available, will it warn the users, or download the latest one?

When one mod overrides the files from another mod, will the profile/NMM know which files are to be overridden by which files? Will it know the order of installation?

I'm skeptical of this claim about "one-click installation". There's far too much variance in mods for things to be that simple (which is why console- & workshop mods won't ever reach the height of nexusmods), unless the tool is incredibly smart and allows for a very complicated, detailed setup by the profile creator.

have to make a bashed patch for each profile.