Nexus Mod Manager focus group needs more help

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #40015630. #40058265, #40085015, #40091830, #40102215, #40122155, #40132340, #40188950, #40205240, #40214800 are all replies on the same post.

stebo104 wrote: DO NOT USE NMM use instead MO (Mod Organizer). NMM puts all mods into your game data folders and over/re writes several files, which over time if you change mods alot will ruin your base game files (making game unplayable and having your redownload whole game). Now MO on the other hand puts all mods into a mod only folder within MO. When you run the game, it creates a virtual folder to run games (ie skyrim, fo4, fonv, ect) with the mods you have active. Not to mention when it comes to same files from different mods rewriting over and over again, MO uses a priority list (such as a texture file from mods A B C and D, if in order of A-1, C-2, B-3, D-4 it will use the texture file from mod D as 4 is higher then 1.) Now MO also has some advanced features, but you'd have to go to youtude and watch some videos on that.
djtalks wrote: Yeah, your full of crap... Clearly havnt used NMM of late. To be quite honest I liked it better when there wasn't a virtual folder. You MO fan boys kill me. Texture mods are just overwrites..
You basicly added yourself a whole new load order to fight with and think its cool.

If you don't want to use it don't.. But don't show up here acting like something is better that dose the same thing. Like I have said many times and will say again a lot of mods have issue being installed with MO I have 2 I made that I just click and hit yes to all in NMM and it works. MO users still have issues installing them.
HadToRegister wrote: Yea, and you can't even download and install MO.
It says "Install Failed" because of some "Connection Error"
Pretty hard to try a Mod Organizer you can't even install
PirateZ86 wrote: If you want to just hate MO for everything, go ahead but if you are want to really get a solution, they have a troubleshooting page on Github. They help people fix issues.

@djtalks : Having my data folder clean and choosing which mods overwrites which even after installing just by dragging it above or below, creating profiles is really good. I don't have a single mod issue with MO, please specify a few. I have nothing against NMM as it's good but MO is far superior atleast for me. A single person creating a tool for everyone without expecting anything in return must be appreciated not insulted because of your petty fanboy feelings. If you are paid to do that I'm happy for you since it atleast benefits you rather than just emotional talks.
TheLionHearted27 wrote: The reality is that people with very limited experience or knowledge of mods, can use NMM as a starting platform to jump into the modding scene. NMM is easy to install and to use. MO takes some knowledge and practice, its not outright easy to use, for lets say, a 10-12 year old kid who just wants to add a few mods to his/her game. Try explaining everything you just said to someone who has never modded a day in their life, they'll give you the "wtf" face...lol! NMM for a complete beginner is a simple tool to get started with, and panders to a wider range of users on both sides of the spectrum, that being authors and casual gamers. Smart business savvy people understand that to get more customers/clients, you need to expand your horizons and cater to all types of users. MO isn't as widely used, because it has a harder learning curve. It's great for everything it can do, and in your opinion does some things better than NMM, but this is circumstantial, due to your preference of features.
idplayer wrote: since oblivion i tested all mod organizers. i'm sure that experienced users currently would never go back to another mod organizing tool if the they understand the principles of mod organizer and are able to handle this platform properly.
some need the experience of 10 new full installations, some other need 100 or more to realize that mo is a gem. this is the only tool you never need to do a full installation again and to have full control over all mods.
nmm is absolutely ok for beginners and if using only a few known and hopefully bugfree mods. using more will surely end up in a full installation simply because the first bigger dirty mod will physically screw up all the other installed mods without a chance to reverse the mess. i fully agree with lionhearted and i recommend all who are happy with nmm to use it until they are tired doing full installations with a ton of mods
HadToRegister wrote: @PirateZ86

The only "Fanboys" here who are insulting anybody, is YOU and stebo14, as this entire thread is about a NEXUS MOD MANAGER FOCUS GROUP, NOT about Mod Organizer.

It was an insult to the NMM team, and an "emotional talk" on your, and stebo14's part to tell everybody NOT to use NMM in an NMM Focus Group thread.
Don't hijack the thread with advertisements about MO, I doubt people are going to github and telling people to use NMM. (And if they are, then shame on them too)
kkthebeast wrote: Yeah unfortunately for me I had nothing but trouble with MO, Instant CTD when trying to run FO4, LOOT instantly CTD, And F4SE would not load either. I like the interface though, Being able to see your Plugins list and installed Mods at the same time was nice.

Maybe we could see some of the interface tweaks in NMM. like being able to pin the Plugins and Mods to the same windows. That would be handy for manually sorting the load order. (I Can't really use loot, With VIS there are too many "unregistered" patches that LOOT doesn't know what to do with.)
idplayer wrote: @kkthebeast - your inability to handle mo successfully doesn't change the fact that the virtual file system and the pysical separation of the mods is superior in long term use. your described problems are as far as you described not mo related.
the physical separation of mod files should become a key feature in nmm. if so it would be a competitive tool for the use in a complex setup environment. in my opinion this is a key feature for long term stability and the prerequisite for 100% save rollback in case of a faulty mod or installtion error without the necessity to reinstall all the previously installed and affected mods. i'm sure many nmm users would be happy to see this feature included in nmm
underskyzx wrote: MO if you serious about modding, NMM if you just want to get things working.

Disclaimer: I am a user that uses both Mod Organizer (I) and NMM (for Fallout 4)

Mod Organizer is great for a few games. It does have a higher learning curve. Even Gopher states that in one of his MO videos. Most starting users don't have the understanding of this and using MO is more difficult. NMM can be used for ALL GAMES hosted here or at least all I have seen. Providing one standard interface is very useful to keep your computer slim as opposed to having 2 or more managers.

Now for the statement that it will screw up your entire install and you have to download it again. That just isn't true. You just have to verify cache and Steam will update those files that are messed up. Often times only a minute or so on any decent internet connection. I never HAD TO download the entire game again or even uninstall and restore from backup the entire game.

True that MO has some useful tools like the "Hide" function and the conflicts easily found. However the future versions of NMM will have the Profile sharing (I believe that is the name) where entire profiles can be shared across the web and hosted here etc Ones setup can be easily setup by even the most novice user with a few clicks. This is a tools that as far as I can tell can't be added to MO at least not currently. Imagine someone like Gopher or GP creating a profile and uploading it for you to download. Create a video on the new profile to let you see what it is all about. Those experienced in creating and resolving conflicts and issues can create beautiful complex and unique game mod profiles far more complex than most basic users and beginners can have. Ease of installation also means that you can try one or two or three etc and always return to the your favorites be it yours or someone elses with a few click (because you can also backup your own profiles, how often has someone had to recreate a profile after some time because of a computer issue? )

I use both and view mod mangers as tools in my box to use where most appropriate for my current needs. Nothing more. One isn't better than the other. The only main job of a mod manager is to install and remove the mods selected properly. NMM does this now quite well unlike some versions in its past and it is getting better.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MO if you serious about modding, NMM if you just want to get things working.

Actually if you are serious about modding - NMM 0.56 or installing by hand.

The paradigm of MO is wrong as it makes you think about modding the game in terms of arbitrary file "packets" - mods. The misguided ideal about a "clean" data directory sounds interesting and I can see how it can be sold to people. But it is a bad way to organize the user's workflow.

Having all the files in the data directory makes you think about modding the game in terms of the game itself and the files it will see and use. If I see an outfit I want to change I don't need to find the mod that adds it in order to edit it. I just open the file and change it. That's just a simple example.

Also to all condescending MO evangelists who continue to pollute threads all over the internet - if you read the forums here you will see that most people who actually use NMM want the return of the old system and not more virtualization. I'm glad you have found your perfect mod manager, now stop insulting everybody else and let us be. Thanks!

In response to post #39998665. #39998910, #40008525 are all replies on the same post.

turulo wrote: The feature I really REALLY want to see is a way to disable virtual file thing. Just to be optional.
turulo wrote: I think I should explain a little more why. When you bodyslide stuff you modify the source mod files (and not the link) so if you screw up or want to revert to the original, you have to reinstall (completely) the mod which affects all profiles.
ReturnToSender wrote: I don't use versions of NMM with this feature, for various reasons. I agree with your general sentiment that this feature should have a toggle.

However, in this particular case, couldn't Bodyslide generated files be installed to the profile folder of choice, and not to the data folder (either manually by generating to Bodyslide folder and copy/pasting out, or by changing the default path for Bodyslide generated files when needed)? In that case, your Bodyslide files would be part of a profile and not loose files in the data folder that would be universal.

Should other people's software be aware of a feature that NMM has ? I think not.

Also I wouldn't know how to solve this particular issue so the only solution to me is that it should be optional. In the end it forces us to use a single profile which was what the virtual file thing was trying to solve.

And you just can't backup the whole Data folder because it would break the internal Db that NMM has about what is active and what not. So yeah I think I'll try to get an older version instead of using the last.

Ok! Simple UI Feature List That Should Be Easy To Add:

- Disable Full Width Column Auto Size (also know as enable the horizontal scrollbar)

- Filter Mod Entries by Column Values (not the current filter that is not useful)

- My favorite would be filter-out mods that are not activated.

- Allow hiding columns

- F2: Should rename an entry

- Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctr+X, Shift-Insert, Shift-Delete while editing an entry name should paste/cut/copy in the entry name and not paste garbage.

- When adding a mod downloaded from the site it should go always to the same category (chosen by user and not to a random category)

- Repeated names like this are not useful: "Singing Settler - Singing Settler". (The mod is mandatory thou :) )

Edited by turulo

In response to post #40015630. #40058265, #40085015, #40091830, #40102215, #40122155, #40132340, #40188950, #40205240, #40214800, #40222720 are all replies on the same post.

stebo104 wrote: DO NOT USE NMM use instead MO (Mod Organizer). NMM puts all mods into your game data folders and over/re writes several files, which over time if you change mods alot will ruin your base game files (making game unplayable and having your redownload whole game). Now MO on the other hand puts all mods into a mod only folder within MO. When you run the game, it creates a virtual folder to run games (ie skyrim, fo4, fonv, ect) with the mods you have active. Not to mention when it comes to same files from different mods rewriting over and over again, MO uses a priority list (such as a texture file from mods A B C and D, if in order of A-1, C-2, B-3, D-4 it will use the texture file from mod D as 4 is higher then 1.) Now MO also has some advanced features, but you'd have to go to youtude and watch some videos on that.
djtalks wrote: Yeah, your full of crap... Clearly havnt used NMM of late. To be quite honest I liked it better when there wasn't a virtual folder. You MO fan boys kill me. Texture mods are just overwrites..
You basicly added yourself a whole new load order to fight with and think its cool.

If you don't want to use it don't.. But don't show up here acting like something is better that dose the same thing. Like I have said many times and will say again a lot of mods have issue being installed with MO I have 2 I made that I just click and hit yes to all in NMM and it works. MO users still have issues installing them.
PirateZ86 wrote: If you want to just hate MO for everything, go ahead but if you are want to really get a solution, they have a troubleshooting page on Github. They help people fix issues.

@djtalks : Having my data folder clean and choosing which mods overwrites which even after installing just by dragging it above or below, creating profiles is really good. I don't have a single mod issue with MO, please specify a few. I have nothing against NMM as it's good but MO is far superior atleast for me. A single person creating a tool for everyone without expecting anything in return must be appreciated not insulted because of your petty fanboy feelings. If you are paid to do that I'm happy for you since it atleast benefits you rather than just emotional talks.
TheLionHearted27 wrote: The reality is that people with very limited experience or knowledge of mods, can use NMM as a starting platform to jump into the modding scene. NMM is easy to install and to use. MO takes some knowledge and practice, its not outright easy to use, for lets say, a 10-12 year old kid who just wants to add a few mods to his/her game. Try explaining everything you just said to someone who has never modded a day in their life, they'll give you the "wtf" face...lol! NMM for a complete beginner is a simple tool to get started with, and panders to a wider range of users on both sides of the spectrum, that being authors and casual gamers. Smart business savvy people understand that to get more customers/clients, you need to expand your horizons and cater to all types of users. MO isn't as widely used, because it has a harder learning curve. It's great for everything it can do, and in your opinion does some things better than NMM, but this is circumstantial, due to your preference of features.
idplayer wrote: since oblivion i tested all mod organizers. i'm sure that experienced users currently would never go back to another mod organizing tool if the they understand the principles of mod organizer and are able to handle this platform properly.
some need the experience of 10 new full installations, some other need 100 or more to realize that mo is a gem. this is the only tool you never need to do a full installation again and to have full control over all mods.
nmm is absolutely ok for beginners and if using only a few known and hopefully bugfree mods. using more will surely end up in a full installation simply because the first bigger dirty mod will physically screw up all the other installed mods without a chance to reverse the mess. i fully agree with lionhearted and i recommend all who are happy with nmm to use it until they are tired doing full installations with a ton of mods

The only "Fanboys" here who are insulting anybody, is YOU and stebo14, as this entire thread is about a NEXUS MOD MANAGER FOCUS GROUP, NOT about Mod Organizer.

It was an insult to the NMM team, and an "emotional talk" on your, and stebo14's part to tell everybody NOT to use NMM in an NMM Focus Group thread.
Don't hijack the thread with advertisements about MO, I doubt people are going to github and telling people to use NMM. (And if they are, then shame on them too)
kkthebeast wrote: Yeah unfortunately for me I had nothing but trouble with MO, Instant CTD when trying to run FO4, LOOT instantly CTD, And F4SE would not load either. I like the interface though, Being able to see your Plugins list and installed Mods at the same time was nice.

Maybe we could see some of the interface tweaks in NMM. like being able to pin the Plugins and Mods to the same windows. That would be handy for manually sorting the load order. (I Can't really use loot, With VIS there are too many "unregistered" patches that LOOT doesn't know what to do with.)
idplayer wrote: @kkthebeast - your inability to handle mo successfully doesn't change the fact that the virtual file system and the pysical separation of the mods is superior in long term use. your described problems are as far as you described not mo related.
the physical separation of mod files should become a key feature in nmm. if so it would be a competitive tool for the use in a complex setup environment. in my opinion this is a key feature for long term stability and the prerequisite for 100% save rollback in case of a faulty mod or installtion error without the necessity to reinstall all the previously installed and affected mods. i'm sure many nmm users would be happy to see this feature included in nmm
underskyzx wrote: MO if you serious about modding, NMM if you just want to get things working.
rblood01 wrote: Disclaimer: I am a user that uses both Mod Organizer (I) and NMM (for Fallout 4)

Mod Organizer is great for a few games. It does have a higher learning curve. Even Gopher states that in one of his MO videos. Most starting users don't have the understanding of this and using MO is more difficult. NMM can be used for ALL GAMES hosted here or at least all I have seen. Providing one standard interface is very useful to keep your computer slim as opposed to having 2 or more managers.

Now for the statement that it will screw up your entire install and you have to download it again. That just isn't true. You just have to verify cache and Steam will update those files that are messed up. Often times only a minute or so on any decent internet connection. I never HAD TO download the entire game again or even uninstall and restore from backup the entire game.

True that MO has some useful tools like the "Hide" function and the conflicts easily found. However the future versions of NMM will have the Profile sharing (I believe that is the name) where entire profiles can be shared across the web and hosted here etc Ones setup can be easily setup by even the most novice user with a few clicks. This is a tools that as far as I can tell can't be added to MO at least not currently. Imagine someone like Gopher or GP creating a profile and uploading it for you to download. Create a video on the new profile to let you see what it is all about. Those experienced in creating and resolving conflicts and issues can create beautiful complex and unique game mod profiles far more complex than most basic users and beginners can have. Ease of installation also means that you can try one or two or three etc and always return to the your favorites be it yours or someone elses with a few click (because you can also backup your own profiles, how often has someone had to recreate a profile after some time because of a computer issue? )

I use both and view mod mangers as tools in my box to use where most appropriate for my current needs. Nothing more. One isn't better than the other. The only main job of a mod manager is to install and remove the mods selected properly. NMM does this now quite well unlike some versions in its past and it is getting better.

The only use I see for the shareable profiles is modders having their profiles posted, for their MOD that also includes the extra REQUIRED Mods from other mod makers in order for their mod to work.

Me, I have no use for that, what I DO have use for is not having to CTRL+ALT+DEL 5 times in a row because NMM decides it can't install/uninstall a mod.

As far as MO, who cares?
Again, this is an NMM TOPIC and THREAD.

Seriously, can we stop this sickening trend of Tribal Mentality?
It's bad enough Bethesda brought it to the foreground with the Console vs PC stuff, and now we're getting MO vs NMM in here.

Use what you want, and shut up about it Edited by HadToRegister

Great to see it's still getting constant updates. I used MO in Skyrim and it worked great, but after all the updates that NMM has been getting, I ended up switching back to it for FO4.

Also, can't believe we have MO users coming in here telling people not to use NMM. Really don't like seeing fanboys in anything, especially when it comes to choice of mod-tools... people will use what works best for them, be it NMM or MO. As a long-time user of both I can say it really is all about preference.

In response to post #40251530.

ForeverZer0 wrote: Great to see it's still getting constant updates. I used MO in Skyrim and it worked great, but after all the updates that NMM has been getting, I ended up switching back to it for FO4.

Also, can't believe we have MO users coming in here telling people not to use NMM. Really don't like seeing fanboys in anything, especially when it comes to choice of mod-tools... people will use what works best for them, be it NMM or MO. As a long-time user of both I can say it really is all about preference.

Hi ForeverZer0
Yep,!
:armscrossed: NMM works best for both FO4 and Skyrim. they do well giving us all the new updates.
I thank the NMM team for all the work they put into it.:thumbsup:

I'll just say:
I used to install all my mods manually. just to findout where things was going too. then workout my own load order.:geek:
but now NMM is the one that I use all the time. Edited by soulgamers

In response to post #40015630. #40058265, #40085015, #40091830, #40102215, #40122155, #40132340, #40188950, #40205240, #40214800, #40222720, #40234620 are all replies on the same post.

rblood01 wrote: Disclaimer: I am a user that uses both Mod Organizer (I) and NMM (for Fallout 4)

HadToRegister wrote: The only use I see for the shareable profiles is modders having their profiles posted, for their MOD that also includes the extra REQUIRED Mods from other mod makers in order for their mod to work.

Me, I have no use for that, what I DO have use for is not having to CTRL+ALT+DEL 5 times in a row because NMM decides it can't install/uninstall a mod.

As far as MO, who cares?
Again, this is an NMM TOPIC and THREAD.

Seriously, can we stop this sickening trend of Tribal Mentality?
It's bad enough Bethesda brought it to the foreground with the Console vs PC stuff, and now we're getting MO vs NMM in here.

Use what you want, and shut up about it

HI HadToRegister
:armscrossed:
HeHe! your Right. well said. :woot:

:laugh: :wacko: :laugh::laugh:
:thumbsup: Edited by soulgamers

In response to post #40251530. #40259800 is also a reply to the same post.

ForeverZer0 wrote: Great to see it's still getting constant updates. I used MO in Skyrim and it worked great, but after all the updates that NMM has been getting, I ended up switching back to it for FO4.

soulgamers wrote: Hi ForeverZer0
Yep,!
:armscrossed: NMM works best for both FO4 and Skyrim. they do well giving us all the new updates.
I thank the NMM team for all the work they put into it.:thumbsup:

I'll just say:
I used to install all my mods manually. just to findout where things was going too. then workout my own load order.:geek:
but now NMM is the one that I use all the time.

Now is the time to use NMM

Took me 30 mins to figure out I had to log in by pressing the red icon of the man in the bottom left. No menu options or anything. This felt like a lame program created by a 12 year old with no concept of modern GUI design. Other than that it's wonderful. Maybe embed functions that LOOT has into it, other than the auto-sort I mean. More automation is always a great thing.

EDIT: Since so many people use ad-blocker, include a Google Ad in it, somewhere unintrusive. I wouldn't mind that and personally it would probably generate thousands a day in revenue, if my guess on the number of active views the NMM gets a day is correct.

Edited by omfgnonames