[LE] Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Friends shouldn't be attacked for any reason. Very aggressive NPCs will attack neutral and enemies. Aggressive will attack enemies only. Unaggressive NPCs will attack only when provoked. If the mages are attacking your NPC even when they are set as friends then you must have done something wrong.

That doesn't help me. I already mentioned the information I thought would be handy and I'm asking for a way to do with aggressive actors.

Yes, I understand what you are asking. Either your information is wrong or you're doing something wrong, because the other possibility is that your Skyrim game operates on completely different rules than everybody else's and that seems unlikely.

What could be wrong?

@IsharaMeradin Thanks, I'll try that out now.

Edit: Figured it out with the information I left in this thread!

Edited by Elias555

True but the vanilla game does it so players would be prepared for it to happen. Over the course of hundreds of hours of gameplay it would happen 4 times per skill (assuming you go from novice to master), which could definitely be annoying but at least it would happen at predictable times. To minimize the annoyance you could replace the spells only when the player levels up.

The only time I've encountered it in vanilla skyrim was with the vampire skills, and it was confusing and annoying. Point of modding is to make the game better, so if something is bad in vanilla we should aim to fix it! And 4 times per spell is way too often, you'll get to 100 resets like that with 25 different spells.

I only started with modding a few days ago, and so far it seems more limited than I expected.. Like with this thing. I mean it's just one variable that can be between 0 and 100, there should be some way to alter it during gameplay.

Edited by Mornedil

Most forms can't be altered during gameplay, except with SKSE functions, and even then they will be reset when the game quits.

There are a few exceptions, such as leveled lists and formlists. But generally speaking you can't change form data on the fly.

SKSE does have a function for this, actually:

SetSkillLevel(Int level)
Sets the minimum skill level required to use this magic effect

How you can look at some of the utterly game-changing mods out there and declare modding limited because a single form value can't be changed on the fly without SKSE is simply bewildering to me.

Friends shouldn't be attacked for any reason. Very aggressive NPCs will attack neutral and enemies. Aggressive will attack enemies only. Unaggressive NPCs will attack only when provoked. If the mages are attacking your NPC even when they are set as friends then you must have done something wrong.

That doesn't help me. I already mentioned the information I thought would be handy and I'm asking for a way to do with aggressive actors.

Yes, I understand what you are asking. Either your information is wrong or you're doing something wrong, because the other possibility is that your Skyrim game operates on completely different rules than everybody else's and that seems unlikely.

What could be wrong?

Well let's go through the checklist.

First of all, are you testing on a clean save?

Click on one of the mages in the console and type "getav aggression" if the returned value is higher than 1, your NPC must be in a friendly faction or they will attack.

Now double check that the mages' faction and your NPC's faction are friends or allies.

You might also try adding the NPC to the mages' faction.

What could be wrong?

Well let's go through the checklist.

First of all, are you testing on a clean save?

Click on one of the mages in the console and type "getav aggression" if the returned value is higher than 1, your NPC must be in a friendly faction or they will attack.

Now double check that the mages' faction and your NPC's faction are friends or allies.

You might also try adding the NPC to the mages' faction.

I figured it out. I was adding them to friend factions(as I said) instead of ally factions.

That can't be the whole story, though. If the mages are not "very aggressive" (as you said they are not), then they shouldn't be attacking anybody, and they shouldn't be attacking friends even in that case. There must be something else going wrong.

Most forms can't be altered during gameplay, except with SKSE functions, and even then they will be reset when the game quits.

There are a few exceptions, such as leveled lists and formlists. But generally speaking you can't change form data on the fly.

SKSE does have a function for this, actually:

SetSkillLevel(Int level)
Sets the minimum skill level required to use this magic effect

How you can look at some of the utterly game-changing mods out there and declare modding limited because a single form value can't be changed on the fly without SKSE is simply bewildering to me.

Sorry, my mistake, I simply meant that the creation kit as a tool is more limited than I expected in certain areas. But hey, with enough effort most games can be modded even without a creation kit.

Thank you by the way! But where did you find that function? I'm using ctrl+F to search for script functions on the creation kit wiki (which seems to lists SKSE funcitons as well) but was unable to find that one.

Edited by Mornedil

I've created a custom cell (a player-owned house).

Followers successfully follow me in.

They often have trouble leaving the custom cell with me, though. Sometimes it does work, but I think it's simply after long waiting or me fast-traveling.

The true trouble is that the NPC's inside don't seem to be able to leave it. If I dismiss a follower inside, such as Lydia who should return to Whiterun, they will remain in the exact spot I dismissed them.

This seems to be the same reason my kids (who are there thanks to Hearthfire multiple adoption mods) simply cannot be told to go outside or play a game. They do nothing if I ask.

What can I have missed? The navmesh seems to be fine, and the triangle under the marker for transporting through the door is green.

It's right on the magic effect page.

The Creation Kit definitely wants you to mod the game in a Bethesda-approved manner, but it's still a dang powerful tool.

I must be on a different Magic Effect page, because it's not here.

This (Category:Papyrus) is the page I use for script reference (and when clicking "next page" at the bottom) and it's not there either.