I have interest in the RX 480, but...

I'm looking for a GPU upgrade for Skyrim Special Edition, and the AMD RX 480 has good bang for the buck. It looks pretty good for its price, but do we have to worry about that issue where it draws more power from the PCIe slot than it should? Do you think AMD and/or the third party GPU makers will correct this issue in the next few months? Or at least, there may be some cards from some companies which correct this flaw? Surely that will happen given enough time, but do you think it will happen between now and Q4 2016?

I'm looking for a GPU upgrade for Skyrim Special Edition, and the AMD RX 480 has good bang for the buck. It looks pretty good for its price, but do we have to worry about that issue where it draws more power from the PCIe slot than it should? Do you think AMD and/or the third party GPU makers will correct this issue in the next few months?

It only draws more power from the slot if its being overclocked. If its not being overclocked it stays within specification. If you do want to overclock then wait for the third party AIB cards that will have a larger/more power connectors.

n.b. overclocking always voids the warranty. Thats why it states "use at owners own risk". More information here.

AMD are already working on a driver hotfix, it should be released in the not to distant future. :thumbsup:

Ah, ok, I see. I don't plan to overclock. I will wait until October before getting a new card, though. So maybe some third parties will have non-reference cards available then.

I'll see how Skyrim Special Edition is with both RX 480 and GTX 1060. I'll see how the cards compare for that game. I want the card that does Skyrim Special Edition at a rock solid 60 fps at 1080p with all settings maxed out. I think the GTX 1060 will, and I'd like to see if the RX 480 does, too.

I have a question. My motherboard is from 2012. I believe I have PCIe 2.0. How much will a PCIe 2.0 slot limit a PCIe 3.0 capable GPU? Is it only by a small amount?

Overclocking doesn't void your warranty. If you kill your device by overclocking, in a way that is obvious, then it does, but only then.

RX480 have their stock voltage set too high. 99% of the cards will work at 0.04V less and 90% at 0.1V less. Downvolt the card out of the box.

Skyrim is CPU bound far more so than GPU.