Graphics Card Upgrade?

A lot of cards come with a 4 pin to 6-pin adapter, if not, it's pretty cheap.

Still, I'd prefer to wait for the 1060 with this PC just because it wasn't designed for powerful cards like the 970. But it's doable to use a 970 in it.

At this point I have to ask if you have any amount of knowledge on the subject, other than being an occasional user of some hardware products.

The GT 710 is a low end card. The GTX 1060, which has been officially announced, is what is called a "performance segment" card. There is "low end", then there is "midrange", then there is "performance", then there is "high-end".

It's very unlikely that the GTX 1060 will not wipe the floor with the GTX 970. More to the point, it will do so while remaining within the safe power limit for the OP's system, while the 970 will not, and will have a risk of overstressing it.

The cuda cores is where you want it, 1800 to 1660 is a safe range. Plus the 192bus speed is a lower end performance bracket. Also look for the memory bandwidth, its more like the ps4 when it comes to performance.

In all its not a hard core gamers dream come true, its more like a radeon 380 versus the gtx 1060.

If you are looking for price point, i would go with a gtx 970 or a Radeon 390 https://www.amazon.ca/Radeon-Overclocked-512-bit-DisplayPort-Graphics/dp/B011D7AAA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468704722&sr=8-1&keywords=R9+390 Under 400$.

Edited by niphilim222

The cuda cores is where you want it, 1800 to 1660 is a safe range.

According to who or what?

The "rules" you're postulating really don't make even a modicum of sense. They seem to amount to "I like one particular 6-cylinder car, therefore 6 cylinders are the best and perfect for every car ever".

No 1200 cuda cores and the performance is what it is, i have experience with low end graphic cards. One thing i learned power matters, the 1060 is not the power house your looking for.

Just letting you know i was disappointed in the past. And the spec sheet don't stand up to my standards. gtx 970 or higher.

Edited by niphilim222

Thanks a ton for all of the suggestions. I decided to get the GTX 970 because I was tired of waiting for a 1060, and it jusstt barely fit inside the computer. Turns out that even though the power supply shouldn't have worked, the DELL power supply seems to do a great job compensating. I'm able to play Fallout 4 on max settings, as well as other games that I wasn't able to play before. Thanks again.

Just letting you know i was disappointed in the past. And the spec sheet don't stand up to my standards. gtx 970 or higher.

The spec sheet doesn't need to stand up to anyone's arbitrary "standards". The job of a graphics card is to perform FP-intensive calculations and render visuals as quickly and accurately as possible. How it achieves that goal is immaterial.

The GTX 1060 is higher than the GTX 970. Not only is 1060>970 as a number, but the card itself is much faster than a 970. Between 16% and 18% faster, depending on the resolution, to be precise.

And this gap will only grow: the 1060 comes with 6 GB of VRAM against 3.5 GB in the 970. This is a 70% advantage, of which modern games use very little, but future games will use more.

The 1060 comes with more computing power and fillrate, exactly that of a GTX 980.

Being the latest generation, it has better DX12 support.

And it consumes 30% less power doing so, letting it run cooler, quieter, and leaving more headroom for the PSU.

Not only that, but you can actually buy a GTX 1060 already: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126113&Tpk=GTX%201060

Congratulations for your part in convincing the OP to make the suboptimal choice.

I cant wait for the gtx 1060 as well, I wont be going 4k though. Also out of stock everywhere, i'm going the way of the gtx 1070.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871&cm_re=gtx_1070.-_-14-125-871-_- Product A tad more expensive but it does the job just nicely. For a Dell setup the gtx 970 does a fine job to.

I had my eyes on the gtx970 for a very long time though.

but here in Canada the exchange rate is always higher.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875&cm_re=GeForce_GTX_1070-_-14-125-875-_-Product

Edited by niphilim222

• 2 weeks later...