Is it legal...

Goliath978

I bought Skyrim. I got money okay? No bills to pay but an income=more than enough money for gaming.

So that said...can I bypass that pain called steam with a crack? Is that legal? I still want patches an mods. I don't want steam and I want to play at my luxury. Bethesda got my 60 bucks and will get even more when I BUY DLC.

So can I? And keeping in mind I'd want the patches too. Played it on 360 already so considering PC trade. But not at the coat of having to use steam. Don't ask why I hate steam so much.

You bought a license to play it on a single platform, NOT a license to steal it for another platform.

Any way of running the game without first activating via steam is not legal.

As discussing piracy in any way is against the site rules I will shut this down to prevent any more wannabe pirates from being banned.

Bben46, Moderator

I bought Skyrim. I got money okay? No bills to pay but an income=more than enough money for gaming.

So that said...can I bypass that pain called steam with a crack? Is that legal? I still want patches an mods. I don't want steam and I want to play at my luxury. Bethesda got my 60 bucks and will get even more when I BUY DLC.

So can I? And keeping in mind I'd want the patches too. Played it on 360 already so considering PC trade. But not at the coat of having to use steam. Don't ask why I hate steam so much.

I believe, I am not sure, that you are paying for a license to use 1 copy of the game for every key you buy (i will have to read the EULA and TOS), it does not matter where that copy comes from as long as you have given your hard/easy made money to them they don't care. As my ISP put it to me once, we don't care that you pirate stuff, just that you allow others to pirate from you. meaning they don't care if you have stolen copies of stuff, just don't give them out to anyone else.

and as the above poster said, there is just nothing wrong with using steam in the first place.

You don't need a crack. Run the game and get it authorised by Steam, do your settings in the launcher, after that just run the game from the TESV.exe in game folder without the need for Steam. I think leaving the exe clean was intentional, Pete Hines tweeted something about it when asked about Steam interfering with certain mods. Bethesda are pretty good with the copy protection, the left it off Fallout3s executable as well, prior to that Oblivion only had a basic disk check.

Edit: Ninja'd by Ghogiel

Very well. So you're saying Bethesda wouldn't give a rat's a** if I kept the 360 versions dn just hopped on torrent.com or wherever it is and just pirated the dang thing?

If you really want an answer to that - please ask the Bethsoft lawyers. They are the only ones that can give a real answer. Anything you get here is raw speculation and wishful thinking

Bben46. Moderator

Double post.

And yes...the guy 2 posts up said hat

They are not, the 360 isn't the same as the PC version, each contains unique code that you buy a licence to use. There's nothing wrong with running the game from the unprotected executable, there's plenty wrong with stealing the game.