Markarth: What's the ideal way?

WarKirby3333

ok, i'm trying to roleplay a certain character, and i'm trying to figure out the best way to do markarth.

I support Ulfric stormcloak, and/or the Nord race

I view the forsworn as terrorists and i've been waging a campaign of wiping them out.

I view the silver-bloods as criminals, and i want them gone too.

I like markarth, and i want to live there

I'm Lawful Good for the most part.

the political situation in markarth seems so messed up (not to mention a little buggy) that i'm struggling to figure out how to do things - especially with regards to the silverblood/forsworn murders questline. And i've not liberated the city yet, how will its changing hands to ulfric affect things?

I'm there now and that is one seriously screwed up city. I got the information needed for the guy at the Talos shrine and when I had it, found him dead and some guards who wanted to arrest me. First go around I got them and wasn't sure what to do. I tried again and this time let them put me in Cidhna mine. I can't seem to get to the king. I don't know if I'm just not strong enough, if there is a glitch..no matter what I did, they all suddenly attack me...have no clue.

So for me, I am just going to go back to when I fought the guards in the shrine and leave it at that...I'm outa this town. I don't support either of them, seems to me they both have some...errrr....issues.

I am playing an Imperial. So I have been fighting the forsworn as well. But I haven't joined the Stormcloaks or the Imperials, just staying neutral for the moment. And I try to stay lawful as well. :whistling:

I've done the quest you refer to. not sure about your issues but you're supposed to get in there, have to do some running around and then escape with all the other prisoners. the problem is that results in them massacreing a fair few people around markarth, and it helps the forsworn cause.

from what i've heard though, killing madanach is buggy

As lawful good, you would accept that the law is the law, even when it is imperfect or made by corrupt persons. With that mindset, you would see the foresworn king as a threat and a foe who is responsible for the recent violence in the town and seeks to undermine the law of the land. In the process you end up purging the silverblood house of several of their more dishonorable members and contacts, who you would also see as being in violation of the law.

So either they're all evil and fit for killing, or some of the corruption is accepted as part of the status quo and what keeps the region stable, so is seen as a good. Lawful good is not about your own laws or beliefs on what is right, but rather this acknowledgment that what is good and right is what serves the people, namely the ruling class, best.

I forget where it was... But remember some situation where a lawful good character entered a town, killed the king they saw as being evil, which in turn caused the entire town to fall into disrepair and chaos because all those people who were employed by the king now had no jobs, no protection, and were left to fend for themselves. It's one of those ironies which just works so well with a lawful good character.

Well, I finished the quest of escaping Sidha mine by killing the Forsworn rebels and I think it's the best thing that I could've done. But there is no ideal way to finish this quest. I can't lose the feeling that it's only a bit lesser evil. I feel very sorry for the guys that rot in prison for many years for trying to reclaim what was rightfully theirs. I just think that innocent citizen did not deserve that massacre that Forsworn were going to cause.

Once again I see, bethesda's also going with the grey zone, where there's no good and bad, there's only lesser evil.

Edited by Patronus

Given that the Thalmors are evil, according to their written dossiers on the Stormcloaks and others, the Stormcloaks is the only group that the Thalmors did not want to win. Therefore, I figured the Stormcloaks were the best choice.

I still think they are, but in the aftermath and talking to people in various towns, there are things we did not know. Such as racism.

While I supported Ulfric at first, after the Empire was driven out of Skyrim, I killed Ulfric and the self-serving Jarls who supported him. In Markarth, the Silver-Blood family takes over as Jarls of the city, so they had to go because they only care about how much money and silver they can get out of the mine. In Morthal, the new Jarl is self-serving and cares nothing for the people who live in the hold, so she had to go. In Falkreath, the new Jarl is fine, he cares for the people, the one that came before him, spent all the holds money on fine clothes and drink, not at all worthy of his title.