Boycott Beth.net

Mitigate

And your whole boycott does not work, because you already bought the game and you will by Bethesda's next Fallout or Fallout with stupid swords.

I haven't bought Fallout 4 yet. Been holding off because of this bethesda.net issue. That and buying a Bethesda title before a year has passed and the GOTY gets released is stupid. I play Skyrim exclusively now, used to play FO3.

Edited by Mitigate

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that is EXACTLY Bethesda and Zenimax's plan. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have jumped right in last year with paid mods... Of which they get majority of the profit, throwing you some scraps for your effort to make you feel special. Like the myth where a leech injects numbing saliva as it sucks your blood...

What you are currently experiencing is envy. It is a human emotion and everyone has it. You see someone else getting or possibly getting a financial advantage so your mind uses this very graphic set of words to project your anger at it.

And to tear apart this barbarically stupid metaphore you use:

Bethesda is probably taking 60-70% of the profit. They created the game and the tools so obviously they want a large cut of it. I would personally preferred 50% for the artist, but what can one do, they own the engine and they can dictate the terms. Included in that profit is the access to a large marketplace, the entire Fallout 4 playerbase. So, getting 30% of the revenue for myself as a modder seems somewhat reasonable.

I support the Nexus and will always have my mods up here.

But I like having my stuff somewhere else as well. For example, my friend was unfairly banned from the Nexus. With Bethesda.net as another option, he can still play my mods.

Not trying to complain about the Nexus here, just saying that I want anyone who wants to play my mod to be able to play my mod. If having my mod on Bethesda.net mean just ONE more player gets to experience my mod and enjoys it, then it is worth it.

But that is EXACTLY Bethesda and Zenimax's plan. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have jumped right in last year with paid mods... Of which they get majority of the profit, throwing you some scraps for your effort to make you feel special. Like the myth where a leech injects numbing saliva as it sucks your blood...

What you are currently experiencing is envy. It is a human emotion and everyone has it. You see someone else getting or possibly getting a financial advantage so your mind uses this very graphic set of words to project your anger at it.

Bethesda is probably taking 60-70% of the profit. They created the game and the tools so obviously they want a large cut of it. I would personally preferred 50% for the artist, but what can one do, they own the engine and they can dictate the terms. Included in that profit is the access to a large marketplace, the entire Fallout 4 playerbase. So, getting 30% of the revenue for myself as a modder seems somewhat reasonable.

Based on any other job I have ever done, 30% is incredibly generous.

10% is reasonable.

You lack an argument and I called you out for hiding behind others, so now you resort to the only thing you have left to offer... Irrational accusations of me being jealous.

Edited by Mitigate

10% is reasonable.

You don't believe the mod author deserves the majority? I do.

Because modders, no matter what they say in public, are drooling at the prospect of (what they think) is 'easy money' when Bethesda re-introduces payment for mods.

See the CS:GO-lotto scandal (Valve forcing under-aged illegal gambling into the gaming community by hiring economic and DRM experts to monetise virtual items, all while APPEARING to have clean hands)? Zenimax seeks to exploit the same types of foolish people by DRM prorecting mods and monetising them, using the same advice from economic experts.

Get rich quick schemes never go away, cos there's always enough fools thinking they will be the ones getting rich, not the people running the con.

People modded for FUN. If peeps wanted paying, there are millions of legit careers in every aspect of the computer creative fields. But Beth knows it only has to wave a TINY (to Zenimax) amount of money in front of the noses of modders, and many of them insanely fantasise that modding could become a 'career'. Same reason idiots play the lottery.

Stage one, in the minds of such people, is the need to CREEP to Bethesda as hard as they can in the hope that their grovelling will 'pursuade' Beth to do what Beth has intended all along- to exploit modding with money.

How many people have the brains NOT to play the lottery because they correctly understand the precepts of rational gambling? Not many.

Nexus is an astonishing service, and deserves the greatest loyalty. Sadly Nexus is about to discover just how shallow and foolish most people are.

Don't see how it is 'easy money'

Nothing about making mods is really easy. And some modders already make plenty of money already without paid mods.

Also, paid modding is not a scam... I do not know where you get that idea. I know people who make paid mods and I hear it is very lucrative.

I am satisfied with with my career. No one is "drooling." No one "gets rich quick" from royalties.

I don't understand your "lottery" and "illegal gambling" thing.

This stuff is a hobby. Why would anyone *not* want to get paid for a hobby? I do not care either way about the paid mods argument, I am just annoyed people get so butt hurt about it. It seems like the only people complaining aren't the authors but the consumers.

Beth/Zenimax is not some kind of evil group seeking to crowdsource and exploit modders, that makes no sense and is just paranoid. Anyone who thinks this please remove the tin foil hat.

It's not scraps, man... it's Royalties. That is the proper term. Same concept as how publishing houses work. Authors get paid dirt for writing books. Without the publishing house, who's going to print and distribute the book? Call it a racket if you want... but that's just how it is.

The great thing about sites like Nexus... is it provides a distrubition platform that is not royalty-based.

I think it is the other way around. Without Zenimax/Beth there would be no game to mod. Trust me, we are insignificant to their revenue. They have an entire marketing and sales dept to handle that and a few hobbyists don't factor in. I'm amazed they even launched bethesda dot net at all. If anything it is a proof-of-concept to the entertainment industry that multi-platform mod support can be done.

Edit: Other guys are spot on with the 10-30% and deduction for using Beth's property. That is what I was getting at with royalties.

Edited by mkborgelt13

10% is reasonable.

10% would be bad. My guess it is going to be 30-35%. I know from several content artists who sell their models on sites that they get 40-70%.

Mitigate, use of the subjunctive or future imperfect tenses doesn't make insults disappear.

If I say "people with verbs as usernames are blah", especially when I know that you're going to be reading this thread, I can't then say that it's because the shoe fits that you're potentially insulted. I may have never called you "blah" directly, but I set up a situation in which "blah" will clearly be applied to you. That's still an insult.

If I say "people who disagree with this post I just wrote are too blah to understand it" then I'm either attempting to compel you to agree with me at the threat of an insult if you don't, or I'm just pre-emptively getting my insult in to those who disagree with me, or both.

to tell the truth the few mods i produced since the start of beth.net, i only uploaded there cause the community seems way more thankfuly then the spoiled community here. i believe console player are the more grateful community at the moment and im a pc-player that will never get a console again cause i love my pc-powers

xbox players are the guys that use my mods most not the pc masterrace

and i have way more friends playing on consoles than i have playing in pcs and im happy and proud to be able to provide them with mods

bty excuse the bad englsih cause its not my native languade

Edited by tawatabak