Is it me or does Skyrim seem dark and kind of depressing to you?

Pineapplerum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not reading through it all, but:

Skyrim is i the COLD north. Taken from the VIkings. Here, in the north, you really do not got exotic colors all over.

The game does not got a depressed tone, it got a realistic tone. It's not like a unicorn puked out some raninbow colors all over, like a flew places in Oblivion. Here you got what the real world got. It is cold, so the flowers are limited. The cities are degraded because of war and struggles. Now they got dragons too.

In oblivion, a crisis recently hit. Which means that the cities was generally OK looking. In Skyrim, the crisis never ended, and a new on started. That means every city is broken down. That's why you do not see a marbled city, like the Imperial City.

Personally, I find this game to have a perfect balance of colours. The only thing: The dungeons are too lit, and some things are a little unrealistic lit. A sealed tomb, that nobody by the dead have been in for a hundred year. Yet, there are candles lit..... small.. candles..

Well the 'moon being huge' troubles me...

Maybe it's majora's mask all over again...

Lol did anyone skinned the moon image yet?

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=539

Also, while I agree that the nights are too bright from an atmospheric standpoint, it's probably wise from a gameplay standpoint.

When I remember the Thief series, the first thing that comes to mind is that all of my friends that played it, as well as myself, all turned up the gamma to the max to be able to see in the dark to some degree, which made the entire game look like poop.

If there was a good, easy to access and toggleable night vision spell, fine (one minute light spells suck. :|). But otherwise dark darkness would force you to pretty much always eschew shields or twohanders for torches. Not sure if that is a good thing.

Is it me or does Skyrim seem dark and kind of depressing to you?

Yes, it is dark and depressing. Skyrim's foundations are by and large a frozen wasteland, obviously habitable but not exactly temperate. Which suits me right down to the ground. I'm not going to complain about Oblivion's landscape, because Cyrodil is a lush part of Tamriel with nice warm summers, but i did find myself missing Morrowind's feeling of exploring an unknown, dangerous part of the world. Skyrim has brought this feeling back quite nicely.

I think the color scheme fits. Anything bright and colorful wouldn't be fitting to the plot or the setting. Oblivion was too cartoonish, and lent itself to very cartoonish mods. I have to admit to being amused at the thought of some cutesy-poo bright anime elf traipsing through grimdark Skyrim when the mods finally come :P