Why is there no technological advancement in the Elder Scrolls universe?

Darklordroy

Here is something that just bugs me a little bit. In all the thousands of years that have passed in the lore of the Elder Scrolls series, the world never made any real technological advancement. It just stays stuck at the sword and sorcery level.

This is very apparent after the 200 year time skip between Oblivion and Skyrim. In fact, when you use the Elder Scroll to travel back in time thousands of years, you still see people using the same kind of weapons and armor people use in the Fourth Era.

The reason why this bugs me in The Elder Scrolls and not in, for example, Tolkien's writings, is because high levels of technology are possible in The Elder Scrolls universe. Just look at the awesome steampunk technology the Dwemer built. Or, to a lesser extent, the mechanisms present in Ayleid ruins, ancient Nord ruins and Mehrunes Dagon's Oblivion worlds.

So why isn't there a savvy mage or master blacksmith (or a combination of both) able to reverse engineer the Dwemer technology to usher in an age of great technological advancement?

I do understand the real world reason behind this, which is that technological advancement would pull the Elder Scrolls universe out of the Sword and Sorcery genre, which is actually the entire selling point of the franchise. But I am really curious if there is an in-universe reason for the technological stasis this universe seems to deal with.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because human history is like that, the Stone Age covers 99.99% of all of human history. The Dark Ages/Middle Ages lasted a 1000 years and technological progress was slow to non-existent and far below the level of technology the Romans had. They had flushing toilets and sewers and concrete, they weren't in common use again until the 19th century and concrete until the 20th. Its a mistake to assume the progress of technology is always fast or consistent.

Also if you notice apart from a few enlightened individuals like Calcelmo no-one cares or worse is mistrustful of superior tech like the Dwemer had. The lack of curiosity and blatant prejudice and superstition towards either technology (or magic) mirrors that of europe until the Age of Enlightenment from the 18th century onwards from then on development was rapid but its mistake to assume it was always like that, and as the fall of the roman empire proves its possible for human societies to collapse or disentegrate and descend into darkness for extended periods of time.

I saw in a documentary that the Dark Ages, seen as a period in which technology did not progress, does not exist. While civilization was indeed a bit less complex compared to the Roman period, the medieval period actually had noteworthy advancements. Among them are gunpowder and numerous advancements in agriculture and architecture.

The massive population loss of the black plague even forced people to advance their agricultural technology, to make up for the loss of their workforce.

Here is a list of inventions made in the Middle Ages we either still use or opened new technological paths for us: http://listverse.com/2007/09/22/top-10-inventions-of-the-middle-ages/

Specs and tidal mills hardly counts as a technologial revolution. And gunpowder was invented by the chinese over a millenium earlier it took that long to filter through to the West. As for the Black Death it loosened up the labour market and brought an end to serfdom in Western Europe as people could up sticks and move to where they got paid better wages as labour was in such demand but that not a technological change just a social one.

Things start to move from the 17th C onwards and from the 18th Century onward technological change has been breathtaking arguably the invention of the combustion engine being the single largest contributer to that as previously all forms of work was performed my muscle or wind power.

Of course if we're talking about a fantasy world then the creators can come up with any excuse they like, or none at all as seems to be the case with Skyrim.

Edited by soupdragon1234

All that magic and wisdom, probably gave them the foresight that technological advancement would only lead to Pokemon Go.

Cool question though, I often wondered why the Dwemer technology was mostly confined to Dwemer sites, and I would definitely be excited to see some of that technology break out into the wider world, though you're right, not in a way that destroys the sword & sorcery selling point!! But there's clearly a lot of it. Everyone is clearly an adventurer or doing shady things for their factions, so quite why they're ALL ignoring the Dwemer tech...or not stratigically taking over Dwemer sites...is a link I have wondered about myself.

Edited by m0ds1984

This ^

Also like someone said there are sometimes no advancements for ages then something sparks and it is a tech than brings along tons of other tech. Also sometimes humans loose technology. So the Dwemers in TES games, in real history things like the fall of Rome, the Black Plague, Fall of Atlantis (ha ha I am kidding) bring around even backwards movement.

If a society relies on magic, has a steady food supply and a basic fear of tech it will just keep on trucking like that for a while.

The best reason...its a fantasy game with magic so they don't need it. :)

Because human history is like that, the Stone Age covers 99.99% of all of human history. The Dark Ages/Middle Ages lasted a 1000 years and technological progress was slow to non-existent and far below the level of technology the Romans had. They had flushing toilets and sewers and concrete, they weren't in common use again until the 19th century and concrete until the 20th. Its a mistake to assume the progress of technology is always fast or consistent.

Also if you notice apart from a few enlightened individuals like Calcelmo no-one cares or worse is mistrustful of superior tech like the Dwemer had. The lack of curiosity and blatant prejudice and superstition towards either technology (or magic) mirrors that of europe until the Age of Enlightenment from the 18th century onwards from then on development was rapid but its mistake to assume it was always like that, and as the fall of the roman empire proves its possible for human societies to collapse or disentegrate and descend into darkness for extended periods of time.

Lisnpuppy, on 18 Jul 2016 - 2:27 PM, said:

If a society relies on magic, has a steady food supply and a basic fear of tech it will just keep on trucking like that for a while.

The best reason...its a fantasy game with magic so they don't need it.

I saw in a documentary that the Dark Ages, seen as a period in which technology did not progress, does not exist. While civilization was indeed a bit less complex compared to the Roman period, the medieval period actually had noteworthy advancements. Among them are gunpowder and numerous advancements in agriculture and architecture.

The massive population loss of the black plague even forced people to advance their agricultural technology, to make up for the loss of their workforce.

Here is a list of inventions made in the Middle Ages we either still use or opened new technological paths for us: http://listverse.com/2007/09/22/top-10-inventions-of-the-middle-ages/

The inclusion of magic actually makes things more confusing, as magic gives Tamriellic society the chance to surpass our society. Throughout the games we have seen magical feats that would change an entire society. To name a few examples: teleportation, instantly healing wounds and curing diseases, instant improvement of ones body and abilities without nasty side effects (fortify skill and attribute) and the generation of cold, fire and electricity.

If these things were discovered in our society, it would probably make great changes.

Yet, nothing in Tamriellic society reflects how magic has influence on the life of the average civilian. Regular displays of magic seem to be isolated to the Mages Guild, Telvanni and other rogue magical factions, such as necromancers and conjurors.

If this is because the mages in this world like to keep the magic to themselves, then I wonder why the non-magic people don't try to invent stuff to make their lives easier.

Plus, every race around in Tamriel recalls what happened to the last technology based race of people - they did something they shouldn't have, and they all vanished (one notable exception).

People tend to be wary of something that can erase an entire race based on the actions of one.

You have a point there.

However, seeing as Tamriel is a huge continent, I can also imagine factions forming who don't care what happened to the Dwemer and just want to see if they can reach that technological level.

So a small society of technologically savvy mages living in a restored Dwemer city does not sound far fetched to me.

Lisnpuppy, on 18 Jul 2016 - 2:27 PM, said:

The best reason...its a fantasy game with magic so they don't need it.

The inclusion of magic actually makes things more confusing, as magic gives Tamriellic society the chance to surpass our society. Throughout the games we have seen magical feats that would change an entire society. To name a few examples: teleportation, instantly healing wounds and curing diseases, instant improvement of ones body and abilities without nasty side effects (fortify skill and attribute) and the generation of cold, fire and electricity.

If these things were discovered in our society, it would probably make great changes.

Yet, nothing in Tamriellic society reflects how magic has influence on the life of the average civilian. Regular displays of magic seem to be isolated to the Mages Guild, Telvanni and other rogue magical factions, such as necromancers and conjurors.

If this is because the mages in this world like to keep the magic to themselves, then I wonder why the non-magic people don't try to invent stuff to make their lives easier.

Plus, every race around in Tamriel recalls what happened to the last technology based race of people - they did something they shouldn't have, and they all vanished (one notable exception).

People tend to be wary of something that can erase an entire race based on the actions of one.

You have a point there.

However, seeing as Tamriel is a huge continent, I can also imagine factions forming who don't care what happened to the Dwemer and just want to see if they can reach that technological level.

So a small society of technologically savvy mages living in a restored Dwemer city does not sound far fetched to me.

Would be an interesting premise for a quest-line. :)

You have a point there.

There might well be, but as is pointed out in game (and elsewhere) even the most interested and invested parties into Dwemer history and technology admit they know very little about how they made it all work.

Nelos and Calcelmo seem to have a grasp on using some of the Dwemer creations, or at least enough understanding to recreate parts of it, but Nelos is one of the longest running (mortal) characters, and a master Telvanni wizard with access to some very obscure knowledge.

Calcelmo has got his assistants and apparently a huge backing from somewhere to do his research (at least for a time), and yet everything he's gotten so far is apparently now restricted to being within the Markarth keep by the time you hear of him. Whether he's traveled elsewhere in the world to study the old ruins and locations seems lost since he's so focused on this one place, and he doesn't appear to have any artifacts lifted from other places to show such behaviour. If he's spent his entire life researching that one location, then he's missing out on a lot.

Of course the player character seems to understand it all a lot better than most of the ingame researchers - but as is everything involving the PC, it is an exception to regular game and lore precedence.

Having someone appear and properly understand and use Dwemer tech like its creators did would be something worth seeing, and would likely throw a major wrench in any power struggles going on in the world at the time. Especially if it was being used to confront others like others had tried in past.

Or perhaps used to prevent something catastrophic from happening.

That's funny, It reminds me, I have read an article some time ago, about nuclear weapon research and implementation. There was very curious insight of one of the researchers, I can't remember every word, but it was something like this, he said:

"When we developed this weapon, we weren't sure it wouldn't create some kind of a big ozone depletion, which will destroy atmosphere on the entire region or planet, and on initial tests those fears still remained, but we tested it anyway."

There might well be, but as is pointed out in game (and elsewhere) even the most interested and invested parties into Dwemer history and technology admit they know very little about how they made it all work.

<Snippetysnip>

Of course the player character seems to understand it all a lot better than most of the ingame researchers - but as is everything involving the PC, it is an exception to regular game and lore precedence.

Having someone appear and properly understand and use Dwemer tech like its creators did would be something worth seeing, and would likely throw a major wrench in any power struggles going on in the world at the time. Especially if it was being used to confront others like others had tried in past.

Or perhaps used to prevent something catastrophic from happening.

In reply to the underlined statement: There was an instance in Bloodmoon in which a mage successfully used Dwemer Technology in an airship, proving technological advancement, using Dwemer technology, is possible. Which brings this back to the question of this topic: Seeing as technological advancement is possible, why didn't society advance just a little bit in all those hundreds or even thousands of years?

Like HeyYou and and you say: A possible questline in TES 6, in which someone or an entire faction manages to rebuild and use Dwemer technology would be very interesting. If handled well, it might answer the question of this topic

Off-topic: Your comment about the player character makes so much sense. I am always surprised at how easily the PC does things, compared to characters who actually specialize in the stuff the PC does. I think TES player characters would really score high on Mary Sue tests. In fact, I am going to put my current one trough such a test.