On the Infinite Stupidity in Riften

Sfumato

I admit that the Riften situation feels unfinished. That said, TES games don't generally give you the options of choosing sides in Guid related quests. Could you side with the Comma Tong in Morrowind? Could you side with Heironimous Lex in Oblivion? Could you side with the Blackwood Company in Oblivion?

I think it's an admitedly unpleasent part of the system they have, especially when you have a Thieves Guild thats little more than hte mafia.

More story options leads to longer development cycle, tedious note taking, scrutinizing the varoius approaches to the game and overall a smaller gaming atmosphere due to time constrants. This game does a fine job of entertaining as it is. As far as other comparisons such as Mass Effect...Sorry thats a much smaller game in comparison, they could control the situations better it has a linear coridor approach to story telling so it's easier to control the possible outcomes, double checking and scrutinizing details also easier. Dragon Age, really got me raving mad about the way they handled the story not the definition of great story telling in my opinion, example by the time you get to the Imperail city in that game the General treats your God like dragon eating mesiah witnessing God Slaying b@d@ss character like common street trash to not have the option to B-slap the guy into the next century when I have a sword of God Slaying on an unmodded playthrough was beyond upsetting for me. In no way is Dragon Age a good story for me it is the height of what is wrong in gaming stories for me.

It seems to me that people often have rose tinted glasses.

More story options leads to longer development cycle, tedious note taking, scrutinizing the varoius approaches to the game and overall a smaller gaming atmosphere due to time constrants. This game does a fine job of entertaining as it is. As far as other comparisons such as Mass Effect...Sorry thats a much smaller game in comparison, they could control the situations better it has a linear coridor approach to story telling so it's easier to control the possible outcomes, double checking and scrutinizing details also easier. Dragon Age, really got me raving mad about the way they handled the story not the definition of great story telling in my opinion, example by the time you get to the Imperail city in that game the General treats your God like dragon eating mesiah witnessing God Slaying b@d@ss character like common street trash to not have the option to B-slap the guy into the next century when I have a sword of God Slaying on an unmodded playthrough was beyond upsetting for me. In no way is Dragon Age a good story for me it is the height of what is wrong in gaming stories for me.

It seems to me that people often have rose tinted glasses.

Or perhaps they just have opinions. Mass Effect and Skyrim are two completely different games, and shouldn't be compared. Dragon Age and Skyrim have many similarities, but are still handled very differently (with Dragon Age being divided into different 'levels', and Skyrim being a single open-world game). The examples you used against Dragon Age were kind of rubbish as well, being that you were nearing incoherent, what with the examples you listed not existing and such, and you basing your argument on one choice not being available.

Back to the OP, though. I agree that I wish there were more ways to go about various quests and dilemmas, but overall, Bethesda's created an astounding game, and we really shouldn't be nit-picking about all that isn't there, when there's so much that is. Plus, for the PC users (and hopefully consoles, soon, as well/fingerscrossed) there are always mods for player-fixes. I hope that Bethesda continues to focus and improve upon the differing story branches in the following Elder Scrolls, though. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of player-choice involved in the narrative in Skyrim.

I'd have gladly waited another half a year had I gotten a game with a higher degree of immersion. As it is, Skyrim presents a great setting, let's you reach demi-god like levels of personal powers - and let's you influence extremely little overall.

The Dragon Age example is also flawed since the one brought forward against the OP is one directly linked to the main plot; the OP and most the rest of the complaints, however, aren't per se. It's that even in the simpler quests the player is railroaded into making decisions he or she often would otherwise not do (or, as in my case often is the case, decided against). This isn't a massive coding exercise; certainly not for someone who's paid for doing this stuff all day long! And before you say anything against that: even I can build basic quests in the GECK, and I'm about as scripting illiterate as it is.

And tedious note taking? Really? :blink: That's par for the course for a project on which dozens of people work for years. Other than that, I really don't see the problem: you develop a quest - you make some notes - you work from those notes. 80% of the quests in the game don't excatly need dozens of pages of info, you know.

I had dozens, if not scores of moments in Mass Effect where i knew a better way to handle a conversation than the options they gave me. Maybe thats just my diolomatic personality, but i encounter it in every game, so i suppose i'm more lenient about it in games than other people are.

My point about it building the atmosphere of Riften stands however. The fact that the Jarl is completely oblivious to something everyone else knows reinforces the fact that shes a terrible leader. Shes ike the Anne Bolynne of TES (The whole french revolution story has been extremely twisted, mind you, and Anne was far more awair of the plight of the people than the story lets on. She was also trying her damnedest to help, but got beheaded anyway)

I'm really sorry but

Anne Boleyn was the Tudor (16th Century) second wife of the English King Henry VIII, who was eventually executed by her husband because she didn't give birth to sons and had absolutely nothing to do with the 18th Century French Revolution.

You probably mean Marie Antoinette

/nerding

Edited by The Bluejay

@Rehjul

I stand by my supposed Jibberish. I have to question how much you really played Mass Effect or the Dragon Age series... Becuase I've played those games many times start to finish each one of them. I know that the Dragons, Flemith in particular are considered gods and that is based on game lore. Moreover in Dragon age you meet the Mesiah and recover many artifacts whose lore attributes the items to being slivers of a weapon used to kill gods in that games history. You sir have no idea what your talking about. More over my opinion that we should have the option of slaying the general from the onset of the final chapter of Dragon age Origins due to his poor treatment of the player character is not an invalid opinion nor did I say that my opinion is more valid than anothers.

My bringing up these games is perfectly valid becuase posters above me mentioned other games as a point of comparison my opinion offered another point of view that doesn't agree with popular dogma.

However my main point is that I hardly hold those games as being top tier examples in story telling for video games or even just story telling, more to the point many people in this thread are just asking for way more than they are aware of it does take a lot of work to really flesh out alternate approaches for each quest. For one thankfully we will get a construction set for Skyrim and we will get the chance to address the issues that bother us most with this game. How you take my statements from here I don't care. The game is fine and with a construction set I can tweak elements in the story to my liking, if it bothers any one else that much I look forward to your upcoming mods.

To stay on topic,

My current playthrough is on a theif and I have to agree with some of the points of the posters here, that everyone knows where and who the theives are and that they are a sort of mafia that is protected by interested parties. There's also the point to consider that the guild knows everyones dirty business and it wouldn't be good practice to have a public airing out of the guild in a court of law...So if your playing a Lawful Good twoshoes Palidin it's just too too bad for you that attacking the guild would break your oath to uphold the law...Nordish beserkers on the other hand don't have such reservations.

As far as the OP and many other posters being upset that a key member of Riften society is so upfront about being conected to the Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood is concerned well I could point out to you many key figures in criminal history where everyone knew that they were involved in dirty business heck I don't even need to point to historical figures I could name current ppl in the News now or even ppl in the same county that are dirty in real life and upfront about it. As far as the game goes you join the guild and you become a made man, woman, elf what have you its purely a fantasy...

Though it could have been better written much of the game could have been done better and for that matter take your pick of games they could have all been done better.

Edited by gamefever

I'm really sorry but

Anne Boleyn was the Tudor (16th Century) second wife of the English King Henry VIII, who was eventually executed by her husband because she didn't give birth to sons and had absolutely nothing to do with the 18th Century French Revolution.

You probably mean Marie Antoinette

/nerding

Quite correct. That'll teach me to make historic comparisons when in the wee hours of the morrning