[FIX] LAA "No Longer Works"

10hellfire01

***DISREGARD THIS THREAD***

USE THE 4GB Skyrim WORKAROUND

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

ONLY USE THIS METHOD IF ABOVE DOES NOT WORK FOR YOU. CONTINUE TO TRY USING THE ONE ABOVE WITH EACH NEW UPDATE.

Found this over on the Bethesda forums. A guy by the name of WhiteZero found it and its the last thing I would've ever though of doing.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1284773-guide-recover-your-original-tesvexe-file/page__gopid__19391650#entry19391650

Note: This assumes that you have Windows 7 with System Protection enabled on the drive where Skyrim was installed.

1. Navigate to the Skyrim folder (\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim)

2. Right-Click the Skyrim folder and choose Properties

3. Click the Previous Versions tab

4. Find version of the folder from before today, highlight it and click Open

5. Copy the TESV.exe file and paste it into your game directory

You might want to keep an extra copy of the original exe in case it gets over-written again.

Happy hunting!

So far has been working 100% for me and no more CTDs every 10min again. Yes it is completely ok to do. Steam gives all users an option to not update any files so people can play older versions. Multiplayer games are the only ones that are required to update in order to play.

Edited by 10hellfire01

Found this over on the Bethesda forums. A guy by the name of WhiteZero found it and its the last thing I would've ever though of doing.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1284773-guide-recover-your-original-tesvexe-file/page__gopid__19391650#entry19391650

Note: This assumes that you have Windows 7 with System Protection enabled on the drive where Skyrim was installed.

1. Navigate to the Skyrim folder (\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim)

2. Right-Click the Skyrim folder and choose Properties

3. Click the Previous Versions tab

4. Find version of the folder from before today, highlight it and click Open

5. Copy the TESV.exe file and paste it into your game directory

You might want to keep an extra copy of the original exe in case it gets over-written again.

Happy hunting!

So far has been working 100% for me and no more CTDs every 10min again. Yes it is completely ok to do. Steam gives all users an option to not update any files so people can play older versions. Multiplayer games are the only ones that are required to update in order to play.

Thanks for the tip!, sadly my system protection was turned off, arrrgh!!

Well, this only helps exactly one group of people:

People that have windows 7 with system protection enabled and didn't backup their old .exe.

If I'm not mistaken Vista has a shadow copy feature. And yes, you either need to have it backed up or have system protection enabled which shadow copies and it wont work on XP unless you backed up the .exe manually. I'm not sure if system restores revery .exe's, as it usually keeps files the same and doesn't revert files only-that would be the only other way of doing it for XP (if it does change .exe's back to older ones). All I can suggest is you find the v1.1 .exe somewhere online. I will not post a link to something like that since I don't feel like violating the Terms and Agreements.

I've heard from several places that this update ignored that setting - the update was forced through even if people had opted out of auto-update.

I've heard from several places that this update ignored that setting - the update was forced through even if people had opted out of auto-update.

There is something up with those people only for some reason. I've heard that too. But pretty much everyone I've seen do it including my friends on Steam who did it around 5min ago, it shows v1.1 under the menu ingame now and Steam doesn't even try to bother updating it. That Steam option SHOULD stop it from updating and if it continues to update, then obviously Steam Support needs to be contacted for tech help with the Steam client.

There is something up with those people only for some reason. I've heard that too. But pretty much everyone I've seen do it including my friends on Steam who did it around 5min ago, it shows v1.1 under the menu ingame now and Steam doesn't even try to bother updating it. That Steam option SHOULD stop it from updating and if it continues to update, then obviously Steam Support needs to be contacted for tech help with the Steam client.

Could be that Steam realised that forcing gamebreaking DRM on people may not have been the best move?

Also, I might have been reading your post wrong, but 1.1 was the release day patch - this 'update' shouldn't have done anything other than encrypting the .exe. Are yo sure you're not looking at the release day patch?

Could be that Steam realised that forcing gamebreaking DRM on people may not have been the best move?

Also, I might have been reading your post wrong, but 1.1 was the release day patch - this 'update' shouldn't have done anything other than encrypting the .exe. Are yo sure you're not looking at the release day patch?

The release day patch was either v1.0 or below v1.1.21.0. I am running v1.1.21.0 which is the patch they released right after launch, very soon. As far as I know that is the newer release day patch since they never patched it since except for today. Today it is v1.2. Even when I first installed the game on release (got it via mail in hand) I had to patch it, so I know I'm not running the original, but the quickie they threw into Steam, soon after release. Regardless if its the original or not, speaking generally, it works with those two patches, which is good for a lot of people.

The release day patch was either v1.0 or below v1.1.21.0. I am running v1.1.21.0 which is the patch they released right after launch, very soon. As far as I know that is the newer release day patch since they never patched it since except for today. Today it is v1.2. Even when I first installed the game on release (got it via mail in hand) I had to patch it, so I know I'm not running the original, but the quickie they threw into Steam, soon after release. Regardless if its the original or not, speaking generally, it works with those two patches, which is good for a lot of people.

My mistake, thanks for correcting me!