Annoying things

rebelscum

Don't get me wrong the game is great. A few gameplay things that annoy me however.

Stuck followers: When you are on a quest and have to follow someone, if they get stuck on a rock or other object, they disappear and appear further down the road. The same thing happened in Oblivion so nothings changed there.

Underground trees: Trees don't grow in caves for various reasons, one being lack of sunlight.

Dagger in the leg: When crouching while a dagger is sheathed, it looks like you have dagger stuck through your leg.

Get out of the damn way: NPC who block doorways and won't move. They turn to look at you as if it's your fault they are lame.

Guards who hold invisible weapons, Windhelm palace guard, looks like he's supposed to be holding a halberd, spear, but his hand is empty. Maybe someone stole his sweetroll.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha wow i was just about to make a topic like this, great minds think alike i guess,

Might as well add to this one...

Another thing that annoys me is the fact so many people you talk to that give quests tell you about an item for instance, that they want you to find and return to them, but they NEVER tell you where it may or may not be located, not one word, but once the journal gets updated, poof tells you where to go, then if you have it toggled you get those arrows that hold your hand and tell you where it's at ( and yes i know you can toggle it off ) it breaks immersion for me, and is annoying ><

haha wow i was just about to make a topic like this, great minds think alike i guess,

Might as well add to this one...

Another thing that annoys me is the fact so many people you talk to that give quests tell you about an item for instance, that they want you to find and return to them, but they NEVER tell you where it may or may not be located, not one word, but once the journal gets updated, poof tells you where to go, then if you have it toggled you get those arrows that hold your hand and tell you where it's at ( and yes i know you can toggle it off ) it breaks immersion for me, and is annoying ><

I totally agree with this. I'm playing with no compass, no crosshair and very little use of the map. infact the only reason i use the map is because I HAVE to in order to see where the hell I go for quests.

Edited by Farem

1. Haven't had that happen :x

2. You have looked at the ceiling of these caves, yes? Because there's usually giant holes with piercing amounts of sunlight coming through them.

3. A game with no clipping would be impossible.

4. Hold alt -> run at NPC -> Profit.

5. Haven't had that happen :x

The NPC thing is especially annoying because they actually fixed it in Fallout 3/New Vegas so at the slightest movement the NPC companions are pushed, and if you stand next to them they'll back off and give you a little space. I've got some gripes as well, they haven't stopped me from spending 126 hours in game since release, but they are as follows.

There's no option when stretching leather to stretch all the skins you have at once, instead of disappearing from the list skin types you are out of are simply greyed out. You can't just hit enter repeatedly (which would be a little better, but seriously who doesn't just want to turn all their skins into leather?) because to say "yes" you must use the mouse. This wouldn't be quite so bad, except you can't click yes, even with the mouse, without moving the mouse a little bit. The same thing bothers me about ore, why no "smelt as many ingots of this type as possible" command?

Enchanting is even worse, to enchant an item you must click the mouse at least six times, and that's if you're hitting enter twice to select the enchantment. You can't simply hit enter enter r enter, either. For some reason it seemed reasonable to force you to click yes with the mouse, but somehow I doubt that using a controller you have to guide the pointer over to hit yes. And, if that -is- the case, then the interface isn't merely poorly thought out with regards to mouse and keyboard controls, which would baffle me. But the worst part of enchanting for me is, there's no repeat previous enchantment option. To get 100 enchanting without shelling out major cash (also, to make a little profit) you may end up enchanting a few hundred iron daggers with absorb life. If there is another copy of the item, and another soul gem of the same ranking we should be able to repeat it with fewer clicks. Instead of forcing us to select it all again, it could default to being selected. We'd still have to say "yes" to the enchantment.

The other primary instance where the game screams "No one properly play tested me with a mouse!" is when you're in a menu, be it shop, or enchanting menu or what have you. If you click a pixel to the left of the word you want, it drops back a level (or at least asks, in the case of enchanting). This can lead to repeated need to click to buy, if you get frustrated and try to hurry you might click a hair to the left again and have to start the whole process over. The game also sometimes decides that it's not concerned about where you're clicking, and will require you to give additional input before it will again acknowledge the location of the cursor, and if you click before realizing it you'll go with what you just said (for me it often brings me back into a shop interface, which is more than a little frustrating).

Sometimes I really feel like they playtested long enough to discern at what locations I would require a local map, and which instances it would behoove me to see the world map. Then they swapped them, so I only ever see the local map when I want to fast travel, and the world map always greets me when I'm looking for specific locations inside a town. Perhaps they could have put in some sort of if then statement, if entrances to other locations is fewer than 2, default to world view, if it's greater than 2, default to local?

I'd love it if there was at least the option to have the most recent quest default to on. I'd also have loved some sort of color coding system, green for primary quest locations, yellow for secondary, red for misc... I know a lot of people feel that the quest markers break immersion, but I personally like having them around to help me orient myself. It does become a little problematic when I enable multiple quest markers, and have no way of knowing which is closest, which is all the way across the world, which is for what quest without marking one of my own blue marks on the map.

The other thing that really bothers me about the map are the quest markers, when I click on a quest marker in a town, I am in fact asking the game to fast travel there. I'm not telling the game to ignore me while I pixel hunt for the icon beneath the location, as hilarious as that may be. I understand that this too is a result of the game being developed with a controller in mind, and it will be patched out before long almost certainly. But again, it's the sort of thing that a few hours of playing with a mouse and keyboard would have made fairly obvious.

the Steam overlay is fairly buggy with Skyrim, for some of my friends it doesn't even work, for those that it works for it constantly thinks the shift key is being held down. After the shift key is pressed it usually works fine... But other times it will require a push of the capslock key before it realizes that I DON'T NEED TO SCREAM EVERYTHING I AM TYPING. all in all it's quite frustrating. My other complaint is that it pauses the game for me when I pop up the Steam overlay. I know where the escape key is, sometimes I'd like to regen mana or stamina or something along those lines while talking to someone on Steam.

Another gripe I have about crafting is, in what way is it even remotely logical for leather to weigh more after it's been dried, tanned, and stretched? This is like when I cooked a bunch of Gecko steaks in New Vegas and was suddenly over weight. Cooking a steak, or drying pelts, makes the item weigh less because there's less water. Arrows are weightless, but frost salts have a significant weight. Why? Do I have to lug around the bowl they're in? The same with Bone Meal, it weighs as much as a pair of gloves or a hat. I get why dragon bones would be heavy, but I find it hard to understand why the pinch of bone meal you'd use for a potion weighs 1/4 what an iron dagger weighs.

That's all I can think of for the moment, I'm almost certainly missing some frustrating aspects of the game. Most of them really feel like they're centered around the fact that they wanted the game to play well on a controller. I have a controller, collecting dust, but I wouldn't ever use it for anything besides Street Fighter IV.

With regards to smelting/tanning, a quick way I have found to make multiple copies of one smelting/tanning/smithing option is this:

Make one item (ie iron ingot) using the mouse only. Dont move the mouse. The mouse should be hovering where the "Yes" option will appear, and the item (iron ingot in this case) should still be highlighted in the menu on the left. Without moving the mouse, start clicking. The first click brings up the "Are you sure?" window, the second click 'updates' the mouse position so that "Yes" is highlighted, the third click creates the item. Its easy to create basic items en masse this way.

Ive never had any problem with the local map. Sometimes it doesnt show the one I want, but a simple press of the l key solves everything. The game seems to remember which map I last used, so if I use a local map inside a cave, then head out to look at the world map, the local map is selected. Its not a problem given the insanely easy solution.

I had a small problem with the Steam overlay: sometimes when moving the normal windows 7 mouse cursor would appear in the top left corner of the screen, and if I clicked it would minimise the game. And thanks to some genius coding, if the game is minimised it cannot be loaded back up. I just get to look at a black screen until I give up and restart the game. Very annoying. Bypassing the steam overlay by running the .exe solved this issue, but I think the latest mini patch has put and end to that. Grrr. Another reason why I hate steam.

The problem is that Bethesda is a business, and as such they need to ship copies to the thousands of CoD fanboy fanatics that have no comprehension of immersion, character, imagination, compassion, creativity... in short, to truly awful people who will race through the entire game, fast travelling every four metres, complete main questline in a day or two, missing out 90% of the content in the game, then come into forums and complain about how short the game is (with bad spelling and all) before going back to the latest CoD reskin. Financially, that kind of player means just as much as we do. And almost every single one of these waste-of-space 'gamerz' will have played Skyrim on a console, not on the PC, meaning there is a disproportionate number of sales to consoles over PCs, even though in 18 months time the vast majority of players will be using a PC. As such, Bethesda have developed a game that could appeal to these PS3/XBox360 fanboys, and only tacked on a PC version through some form of obligation, without any thought. Which is such a shame. Because if game developers were to get their heads out of their arses and realise that laptops these days are more powerful than consoles, let alone proper gaming computers, then they would shift their focus to an infinitely superior platform for gaming, and within a few years the scope of games would be so much higher than it would otherwise be if developers are having to work to below-par consoles.

There's no option when stretching leather to stretch all the skins you have at once, instead of disappearing from the list skin types you are out of are simply greyed out. You can't just hit enter repeatedly (which would be a little better, but seriously who doesn't just want to turn all their skins into leather?) because to say "yes" you must use the mouse. This wouldn't be quite so bad, except you can't click yes, even with the mouse, without moving the mouse a little bit. The same thing bothers me about ore, why no "smelt as many ingots of this type as possible" command?

Whilst not a complete fix, "Y" is the hotkey for the option Yes when you're crafting (and "N" hotkeys to No) so that saves lots of clicking with the mouse.

Whilst not a complete fix, "Y" is the hotkey for the option Yes when you're crafting (and "N" hotkeys to No) so that saves lots of clicking with the mouse.

Awesome, I was doing the move the mouse a hair click move a hair click move a hair click, at least now I'll be able to hit enter y down enter y etc, that will help a lot with enchanting as well. All in all, very good information to have.

This post is about annoyances really, not 'like to haves' and not something that really spoils the game to be honest.

Forgot to mention I'm playng PS3 version and stuff might not happen same on PC.

vertex23: Ok, perhaps with the tree in the cave, there was a bit of light coming through. Still :)

Couple more things.

Cannot extinguish lights: How am I supposed to sleep with the damn lights on all the time.

No footprints in the snow: Even though I am sneaky, I can't defy gravity. In Fallout 3 there were footprints. Would be handy for hunter tracking.

Damn stupid AI speech: Put two arrows in something then hide. "Oh I must be imagining things", yes the two imaginary arrows sticking out of your head.

Cicero's voice: WTF?

Edited by rebelscum

I feel like all the merchants in Skyrim are super desperate for your business, whenever I'm in their store, hidden or seen, or never seen in the first place and they're psychic somehow, every merchant goes on and on about their store, inventory, merchandise etc. etc. like every 30 seconds or so it feels. It makes me want to play the game on silent, it's SO annoying. Edited by natelovesyou