Supply Lines: Still Confused

threefoldmind

So according to various sources Supply Lines allow you to use Junk from any connected settlement, allow you to share Water and Food Rating between settlements. So how is it, that I have Sanctuary connected to all of my settlements which have a total population of like 36 between all of them and Sanctuary's rating of 116 Water is not sustaining all of my settlements. Or how about my total of 70 or so food is not getting to all of my settlements which again are all connected to Sanctuary where the bulk of the food is coming from.

I dont know if this is just mechanics not working how they are meant to, me not understanding how they are supposed to work, or what...

Well according to theory .. and I've seen some who say it 'works fine' and other who, like you are going, "huh?"

The concept is:

You have major building materials in, say: Sanctuary. You have a supply line going to, say: The Drive In. This can be anything - everything in the Workbench in Sanctuary.

Now understand you have to ESTABLISH a "trade route" from Sanctuary to the Drive In.

Then if you are at the Drive In - you have access to the Sanctuary Inventory - IF - it's in the Workbench Inventory, so you can build at the Drive In - or whatever settlement you are at - again, only IF you have a supply line established.

The numbers you see in workshop mode, only show how much food and water is produced in the settlement you're at.

As long as the number is not red, everything is fine.

So a non red 0 for food means that the settlement is getting food from your suply line, for example.

It never worked with food or water. At least in my game people keep complaining over missing crops and water, even though there's an active supply line connecting to a surplus.

With everything else it works fine, though there are instances when one of your suppliers gets attacked on the road. As long as they fight, the line is broken and you no longer have access to the general stock. But since suppliers can't die, as far as I understand it, that's a temporary problem fixing itself within a few minutes.

items inside the workshop . . . hmmm . . . not including armor / weapons and probably many others . . .

are shared via supply lines

Not total water/food, only collected and therefore stored water/food

however its a nice way to build a new settlement - get a supply line running - then build based on supply network resources

Okay so the Supply Lines only affect crafting? That is good to know because I thought it meant that the "Food Rating" and "Water Rating" would be shared. At least this is cleared up. I guess as far as food and water its main use is making Veggie Starch and Roasts and Soups

Okay so the Supply Lines only affect crafting? That is good to know because I thought it meant that the "Food Rating" and "Water Rating" would be shared. At least this is cleared up. I guess as far as food and water its main use is making Veggie Starch and Roasts and Soups

You won't have a very happy population if you don't give them food and water. Which can lead to them turning against you and leaving. Also, water can be a major source of income. If you produce a massive surplus of water where it is possible you make a fortune.

It isn't clear to this day exactly how the system works- but since Beth coded it, assume it is BROKEN.

Money seems to go into the local workshop only (if you know how to make settlements earn). People say only elemental items are shared by supply lines, so junk that hasn't been broken down is local only as well. As for food and water 'sharing'- well that seems unlikely when settlement stats rely on local water and food production only for 'happiness'

Settlements got banged into FO4 very LATE after the PS3 version was finally cancelled. Settlements are a dull-witted rip off of similar mods crafted for earlier Beth titles. Beth clearly worked on settlements for a little bit- realised they couldn't be bothered to get their grand ambitions working- so attempted to make the half-baked remnants of those ambitions independently functional to an extent.

In the end, if you love building, it seems pointless relying on vanilla gameplay to provide the resources. I mean, if you do so, you end up torturing yourself, and for what?

Use supply lines til they seem too painful, then bang in them mods that remove the pain and let you get on with the things you find fun in the game.

Money seems to go into the local workshop only (if you know how to make settlements earn). People say only elemental items are shared by supply lines, so junk that hasn't been broken down is local only as well. As for food and water 'sharing'- well that seems unlikely when settlement stats rely on local water and food production only for 'happiness'

Settlements only earn when there are shops present. The better the shop, the more they earn. The better the vendor, the more money. But it's actually a pittance in any case. The main reason for having shops is happiness.

Junk is shared, broken down or not.

You won't have a very happy population if you don't give them food and water. Which can lead to them turning against you and leaving. Also, water can be a major source of income. If you produce a massive surplus of water where it is possible you make a fortune.

In my current game Sanctuary Hills produces 123 Water and is connected to literally every settlement DIRECTLY. I have a total population of 53. I produce a total of 56 food. Excluding Sanctuary Hills and Abernathy Farms every settlement I go to has Food, Water, and Happiness in the red and I do not know why as both Food Rating and Water Rating of the Network SHOULD (By basic arithmetic) exceed the number of settlers.

I can post pictures if you assume I am doing my math wrong, but its going to be like 3 or 5 for every settlement so it could take a little bit.