⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Guys who play girl characters

theonecrisco

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a dude and I almost exclusively play female characters in RPG type games now. As good as graphics are getting, animations are still lagging behind in most games.

I'm an athletic guy. I need to mention that because I understand how men move, I understand how an athletic man should look. My level of enjoyment in modern video games as the graphics get better and better is completely ruined when I play male characters because they do not look right, nor do they move right. Male characters in skyrim look ridiculous. They move clumsily and make The Arnold in his prime look like a 90 pound weakling.

Mass Effect is another example. The male character in that game is animated awfully (hint, men no matter how uptight they are really don't have a 3 foot stick up their arse) and Femshep has literally a world class voice actor.

My skyrim thief is a female. A class that relies on agility and stealth fits the female sex perfectly as opposed to a muscle bound male :tongue:

In addition some games the female models are done better. When I played WOW, Human Males running motion looked like they had a stick up their behind...

I'm a male and always playing females in rpg's, becouse i find them attractive, also the armors are always better looking for them...why would i play a male when im already one irl...i just like that change even though its a cosmetic thing.

Playing an attractive girl with daggers/swords is something i really love...becouse it makes a nice balance between the soft female aura/form and the male agreesive fighting spirit.

I think it's somewhat discriminatory to even entertain this question.Women make up 51% of the population, give or take. Why should everyone be male? To have a lower ratio in a videogame isn't being true to life and is therefore sexist. I'm no feminist, I almost exclusively play as a guy just because I identify, but I've made a few female rogues in past RPG's because I felt like it fit the role well. I was playing as zelda/ sheik in super smash brawl with my nephew and he said "why'd you pick a GIRL?" I said, "it's a super awesome magical ninja. that's cool right? now it's a girl. it's still cool.." he said, "no it's not. boys boys boys." I told him he was sexist and he wouldn't feel the same way in the future in all likelihood..

However, I had a friend in middleschool who turned out to be a full-blown pervert that pretended to be a woman on the internet. And he played a lot of RPG's and was always a female. So there's that too.

Because underneath every roleplaying game is a game of playing with dolls. Sure, they may be more interactive, and your method of play may be more violent than your typical game of house (robot chicken not withstanding), and there may be all these statistics involved... But Underneath it all, it's playing with dolls. The dressing up of various armors and clothes on an avatar only amplifies this.

From a roleplay standpoint, female characters tend to have more emotional range in their overt responses according to most social norms, more social conflicts related to their gender, so they tend to be more interesting characters to play/watch. Atleast on paper. Have yet to see a game which really does the female gender well and includes all those elements that women deal with constantly that men simply have no understanding of... Like monthlys, overt sexism, sexual abuse, real romance and relationship issues. Not to say that such a game would go over particularly well, but it would certainly give an unrivaled environment from a characterization perspective. Men in contrast generally get lumped into three groups; hard workers, hard fighters, or lazy and corrupt. Their conflicts are rarely internal and usually involve their direct dealings with the world. Their emotions are usually reduced to "kill it", "kill it only if it attacks", "protect it", "take it or make it", "run away", "extort it for profit", "try to have sex with it". Sometimes in that order, sometimes in the reverse order, sometimes in no order at all. I know there are some exceptions to this, but at the end of the day, it's usually the contrast between what you deal with every day and what you deal with in fantasy which tends to make things more interesting.

Every day I wake up I'm Beefy McBeardyface, on a quest of seeking riches, being industrious, fighting evil, and eventually having sex with a significant other (even if it happens off-camera and is only eluded to in the prologue)... So experiences outside of that usually have to be manufactured.... Kinda thing.

But, the real question... Is any of this unhealthy for a male of any age or nationality? No. Cognitively speaking, it allows men an emotional outlet outside of their social environment which might otherwise build up and come out as either aggression towards those emotions (eg, stereotypical sexually repressed/closeted bullies), or suddenly take over in an act of chaotic breakdown. It allows a safe area of expression and catharsis which is usually absent in real life. Including the occasional oogling of a barely clad, often nude female form that does almost everything you want (until mods are made). The 'problem' is when this sort of behavior starts to overwhelm their own baseline personality and starts to cross over in various ways... Borderline gender dysphoria, fascination with things not normal to your gender (clothing styles), becoming too emotional, or just having an extreme interest in only 2d/fake girls.

And universally, everyone enjoys watching a woman kicking all forms of ass. It's why Tomb Raider, Xena, and several other franchises have a successful heroine.

And also... too much man-butt when playing games 3rd person.