Guys who play girl characters

theonecrisco

This is going to be a rant so sorry in advance..

OMG I cannot believe people are going down the sexist line with this. The OP asked a normal question or is there no longer longer any freedom of speech? I remember a song from Ice-T The older people here will know how he is. It was one of his really early songs and it had "WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH BUT WATCH WHAT YOU SAY".

Anyway this is the question I have always wondered myself. I'm sorry if this comes of sexist etc but 99.9% of warriors in the past had been male (yes I know Skyrim is fantasy) . And myself I study history etc and cannot bring myself to use a female character. A female against a male in a close weapon fight... I know who my $$ would be on. Females have their own strengths and weakness just like males so why not celebrate these instead of trying to make out that females can do everything that males can etc.

Anyway sorry for the rant just soo over this PC c$#p.

then you've never seen the IDF (Israeli defense forces), i'm a second degree blackbelt in ninjitzu, and even i wouldn't want to mess with those women.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see whats so unusual or "hard to grasp" about it lol. Remember theres a lot of games out there where the player is a female, such as "Tomb Raider, Bayonetta, Tenchu, Red Ninja, Perfect Dark, Fatal Frame, Silent Hill 3, Blood Rayne" the list just goes on, and on, and on... and on.

If anything, the reason why blokes would choose a female character when given the choice, is probably the same reason they "bought into", and enjoyed games such as those listed above, because they want to play as a "sexy female protagonist" that really kicks ass, and looks the part. This, afterall, is half of why games such as Tomb Raider back in the 90s (when there wasn't really any "sexualised" female game characters), and specifically Lara Croft became as legendary as they are today. Ever since then, the trend of sexy game vixens exploded on the market and hasn't stopped. Bayonetta is literally testament to this fact, as its probably the most sexualised commercial game ever released on a global scale, and people KNOW that kind of thing sells VERY well in the male gamers market, especially when the game also happens to be one of the best of its kind.

The only Beth RPG I've played to completion as a female was FO3, but I've created female characters in all of them either partway through, or on a second play through, because like many men, I think its pretty cool to play as a "femme fatale".

When you think about it, its really not hard to tell! The fact that a huge debate over morals and sexism has to kick off is ridiculous and almost comical!!!

You guys kill me.

Edited by shuriken88

I always play as my own gender in videogames, mainly because i can relate more.

When i play an RPG, I want the game to be Immersive, and having breasts isn't exactly immersive when i'm a male isn't it? I remember asking a question like this on another forum last year, and everyone replied to me telling me that: They can't stand looking at a male's ass in third person.

Thing that freaks me out is, why are they looking at the male's ass? (not homophobic)

Edited by Zazoomah

Because I'm a guy and I like girls? And because I take a lot of screenshots, and I'd rather have an attractive woman as the subject of my images than some big hairy dude.

Most important difference between me and some of the other people in this thread is that I don't see the character I'm running through the game with as an extension of myself.

There's nothing more to it than that.

Edited by deathknowz

Because I hate Skyrim (the province), traditionally I'll play male chars. & I'll be super serious about it. Female chars? I don't give a crap about the game, just want to relax, or make the game a bit more bearable by having something that is still beautiful to look at even it's not much. I don't like Nordic settings & Roman legionnaires (Romans are way overuse in my opinion), & if I make a guy char. then staring at these disgusting buildings & sissies in leather? I'll fell into madness before Sheogorath could say Cheese.

PS. I don't hate Nordic people

Fascinating topic. Browsing aimlessly I came across it. And....it cannot possibly be "flogging a dead horse"...ever. I rather get the impression that those who want it silenced are worried about something.

Depending on how much a player allows it a role-play game can be a great discovery of oneself and that should never be something to worry about

That is assuming it's even possible to "role-play" in a single-player game with a fixed set of choices that don't depend on any role you may have in mind. The whole concept of role-playing is, you know, playing your own role. Just playing a game with stats and dice rolls doesn't make it role-playing.

Or that many people are even interested in actual playing a role.

I mean, God knows that when you see someone in a 20'th century bikini and high-heels in the snow, with SW lightsaber, and followed by some companion in 41st century Ultra-Marine power-armour and with a chain-sword, the most reasonable assumption is that they're a die-hard roleplayer trying to fit their early medieval character exactly </sarcasm>

Plus, you'll notice how everything you said could be applied to everything else I used in my example. Play GTA? Well, maybe you want to explore and discover whether you'd like to steal cars and murder prostitutes. Joined the Dark Brotherhood or played Assassin's Creed or Hitman? Well, maybe you're actually interested in murdering people for money, and want to explore that through role-playing. Used Med X or any of the other drugs in Fallout? How do I know you're not toying with the thought of starting taking heroin, and exploring it through role-playing? Worked with the slavers in Fallout? Well, maybe you're actually into slavery, and exploring that through role-playing is as close you could get to owning a few kids as slaves short of buying a cocoa plantation in Africa. Play State of Emergency? You could be toying with the idea of actually becoming a terrorist and shooting up the mall, and for now just exploring it through role-playing a crazy mass-murderer. Heck, even playing PacMan could be toying with and exploring the idea of popping pills to repetitive music in a dark room, or as the rest of us call it, a rave party :P

But, of course, as I was saying, everyone who's ever played a game will recognize that as bunk. Except when it's about sex. Then, for no stated reason, a completely different set of rules applies. Which is pretty much the definition of the Special Pleading fallacy.

Edited by Moraelin

OMG I cannot believe people are going down the sexist line with this. The OP asked a normal question or is there no longer longer any freedom of speech? I remember a song from Ice-T The older people here will know how he is. It was one of his really early songs and it had "WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH BUT WATCH WHAT YOU SAY".

It always amazes me that the most quick to bring up "freedom of speech" and such, are those who don't understand it. Freedom of speech means that the government won't come arrest you for saying that. It doesn't mean that anyone has to agree with you.

Also, here's a thought: the same freedom of speech that lets you say something stupid, also grants me the right to say you're stupid. It's a two way street. It's fundamentally hypocritical to try to appeal to freedom of speech to try to tell others what THEY can't reply.

Anyway this is the question I have always wondered myself. I'm sorry if this comes of sexist etc but 99.9% of warriors in the past had been male (yes I know Skyrim is fantasy) . And myself I study history etc and cannot bring myself to use a female character. A female against a male in a close weapon fight... I know who my $$ would be on. Females have their own strengths and weakness just like males so why not celebrate these instead of trying to make out that females can do everything that males can etc.

Even if I were to accept that for the scope of this discussion, it's still fully irrelevant.

Equally, if you've studied history, you must know that nobody ever actually fought a dragon. There were no giants in actual history. Nor werewolves, nor vampires, nor walking skeletons. (People may have believed in undead and lycanthropes, but there is no evidence that any ever existed. And especially for Vampires, even the modern idea of a sentient and scheming posh vampire simply didn't exist throughout the middle ages and renaissance.) There is no evidence that a thieves' guild ever existed outside fantasy, and definitely not in the middle ages. (The earliest mention is in a 16'th century work of satire, and it's clearly an allegory for the nobility, rather than a historically accurate depiction of such a guild.) There is no evidence that anyone ever used magic, nor even believed in the kind of magic depicted in the game. (If you read even the witch-hunting manual that was the Malleus Maleficarum, or other treatises on witchcraft, clearly they didn't think people can shoot flames and lightning from their fingertips.) Nobody ever was punished for multiple murders with a couple of minutes in jail. (Medieval justice was swift and brutal even for minor thefts, which is the real reason why there was no thieves' guild: anyone keeping at it long enough would swing from a gallows long before they'd get to be guild master.) Plus, even as a guy, being stabbed several dozen times, over dozens of different occasions, and being as good as new after a good rest was right out. (Even rulers died from infected minor wounds all the time.) Nobody, even men, ever pushed someone off a cliff by shouting at them. And needless to say nobody used oversized weapons like in Skyrim for actual combat. Etc.

So it seems to me like special pleading to accept all that ahistorical fact, but get totally tripped by someone's playing a fighter woman.

Which incidentally IS historical, especially for the Norse world, which is, you know, the whole theme of Skyrim. Pre-christian Germanic people, including the Norse, used shieldmaidens extensively, in actual war. Weaker than a man or not, they actually had warrior women.

So, you know, I find it supremely silly to accept all the provably ahistorical stuff, but have a problem with the one thing which IS historically-correct for a Norse-themed world.

Not to mention that fighter isn't the only role one can play. Female magic users are also an option, and even more historically correct, as seidr magic was considered a pretty inherently female thing in the Norse world. There were rare male witches, and Odin himself knew seidr magic too, though even for Odin in at least one saga he IS being accused to his face of doing an un-manly thing by practicing seidr magic. So equally I could say that 99.9% of the pre-christian Norse seidr-practicing witches were female. So it seems to me like if you get to pull that argument over someone's playing a female fighter, I get to pull the same argument if any of your male characters ever used any kind of spells.

Edited by Moraelin

I don't know what baffles me more, the question in the op or the fact that this thread is still going.

I'm a human, but I've played Skyrim as an elf. Twice. One of them was even a girl! I didn't think to psychoanalyze myself afterward about why I did it. I hear some people play as Khajit and I bet they don't even have tails.