Do you think horses are compleetly useless in skyrim?

sixcross

I would have liked horses better if they allowed us to use one-handed weapons and maybe bows on horseback. That'd be awesome.

And for some reason the horses I ride seem to have a magical tendency to attract dragons, bears, wolfpacks and bandits. I can barely ride out of a town before one or more of the aforementioned enemies flock to me

They are faster than running and they fight in battle. They aren't bad, but i wish we could interact with them and feed them all the apples and carrots that we pick up. And storage would be nice too. Oh, and to name them too!

I like all these suggestions.. they were mod suggestions right? :biggrin:

I stopped using 'my little pony' because I'd bust out laughing every time I'd ride him. But...I fast traveled some where and of course your horse goes with you. As we arrived, a dragon landed right in front of us. Well, I gotta say...'my little pony' didn't like Mr. Dragon and off he went, charged the dragon and for the first few seconds, it was pony and dragon...I was stunned. My companion and I got into the fray and had that dragon down in less then a minute. Dragon zero...pony 1....now I'm rather proud of 'my little pony'. But I still can't ride him, it is too damn funny. Other wise, I just leave him and go on with out him.... LOL!

Oh, he did try to push me off a cliff once...heh

Edited by BarefootWarrior

IMHO, skyrim + horses is a bad fit:

- no mounted combat.

- resources every 10m along a road.

- planned ambushes along those roads.

- mount/unmount animations.

- dungeons every 200m.

- and huge mountains.

- followers that can't ride horses.

It just doesn't really work very well.

I can imagine a system that would make a packhorse valuable in skyrim, but not a riding horse.

Has anyone else noticed the complete uselessness of horses in skyrim? They seem a lot slower then in oblivion and they are more of a hindrance since there are so many hills and slopes. What are your thoughts? Maybe we can get some mods once cs is released to possibly add storage. Have you ever used a horse, or even noticed that they are in skyrim?

Untill I found the workaround for no first person I couln't stand them. I still wish they were the same as in Oblivion.

I don't really like using horses, they just tend to get in my way. Finding paths is much easier too.

But I don't think they're useless. They're really nice and it's better to have them in the game than to not have them at all. :) They're more useless than in Oblivion, though.

Edited by Amoramor

Try go up a mountain, then try go up the same mountain on your horse. The horse wins.

Try run from point A to point B then do it on your horse. The horse wins.

Only bad thing about them is they fight and get in the way it can be very annoying.

I ride the quest horse in the game and it is awesome. (aside from its fighting issues)

Yes, I use horses all the time. I enjoy galloping around in Skyrim on my horse sight-seeing. I almost never fast travel because I enjoy looking at the surroundings. And the horse's gait makes me grin--I think the way they bouncity-bounce along is darn cute.

That being said, I find the fact that you can't fight from horseback or talk to other NPCs from horseback a little annoying, but maybe it was too problematic to include as part of the game. Having to take time to dismount while your enemies are consistantly attacking your poor horse first is also a little annoying.

I was a little astounded the second day I was playing Skyrim by my horse's ferocity in battle. I had approached one of the forts where bandits resided and when I dismounted to do battle, my horse was flying all over the place attacking and killing the bad guys. :blink: I was afraid it was going to get itself killed.