Skyrim Ending SPOILERS

mattc220

Personally I don't feel the game has a real ending, you just seem to run out of things to do, unless of course you want to spend the next umpteen months or years mindlessly doing repeat quests.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't feel the game has a real ending, you just seem to run out of things to do, unless of course you want to spend the next umpteen months or years mindlessly doing repeat quests.

I agree, there is no 'ending' to Skyrim, you simply exhaust every quest and location to the point where there aren't any more to find. The main quest doesn't give closure because the whole point is that you're meant to continue on and basically just complete quests given by modders or in future DLCs.

I think most people just expect some sort of closure at the end of the main quest, but there isn't really, you're just left standing on the throat of the world and left to think 'Well...guess I'll go back down the mountain then...'.

Oblivion was the same, you won the battle against Merunes Dagon, and then you're meant to go back into the world and carry on exploring (usually what little there is left to explore).

It's not a bad thing, it's just reality, they couldn't make unlimited quests, that are proper voice acted quests with real plots, so instead they leave it open, sure there's probably not much left to do by for most people, especially on their first playthrough, but it's better than a Fallout ending where you literally are DONE and you have to re-load to do anything else.

Edited by Sky999

The DragonRend worked for me if it is to bring the dragon down that is?, I haven't finished the game as I am doing the long route. And I am trying to screw the plot up,

The ending does indeed feel rushed. I didn't really think it ended when it did, and was surprised nobody had anything to say about the fact that I just saved the world from certain death and destruction! I even went to Whiterun and the Jarl had nothing to say to me. No thank you, no reward... Instead a guard told me to keep my hands to myself, and then called me a ''sneak thief'' :/ A bit anti climatic. Overall game is good but a rushed ending indeed.

I was hoping to finally get some Greybeard robes. I was disappoint.

But yeah, the ending felt way too rushed to me, and overall the Main Quest felt too short. The storyline would've been more interesting if they had expanded on the questions Paarthurnax asks you when you first meet him at Throat of the World. Is Alduin more of a force of nature than anything else? What about the next world? It's pretty much inevitable that he will appear again to actually end the world, so what would cause that to occur? Etc etc.

I also think it would've been cool if you could do some quests for Paarthurnax as he tries to spread the Way of the Voice to more dragons; it'd have been nice to have civil conversations with more dragons than just him and Ohdaviing, as cool as they can be. I guess, if we go down this path, there should also be a quest path for the Blades should one choose to kill Paarthurnax, but f*** them. Seriously. Idiots.

There are lots of points where Bethesda could've added the intruige of the Civil War storyline to the MQ, but instead it feels way too compressed. Hopefully, given their penchant for really good DLC, some of this will be addressed later, but chances are any major expansions would go off on their own tangents.

Ah well. At least Paarthurnax is awesome.

(side note: I'd have loved to get the Meteor Storm shout for beating Alduin, that thing is totally awesome)

Edited by Kyuukei

What I don't get is why on earth did they allow people to actually DO the main quest before everything else.

I mean they should've just imposed some restrictions on the thing. As in you can only advance the main story after a certain level or after you've mastered a certain number of shouts, etc. Or even a certain percentage of locations explored. Either of these things would encourage people to go out and explore the map fully before they do the main quests.

I promise you, if you could only advance the main quest little by little after you made considerable progresses along the way with your character, nobody would consider it short or anticlimactic.

Unfortunately, a lot of people play like they were game reviewers with a deadline, instead of just out to enjoy themselves.

Personally, I feel it is too short from precisely the perspective you're talking about; the main quest was a rather low priority to me, and I only ever did it on-and-off. Doesn't change the fact that somewhere between the Civil War Truce and entering Sovengarde, things feel like they were ridiculously truncated in that storyline. And while Sovengarde itself was pretty cool, the ending itself feels a bit lacking simply because of the lack of tangible long-term changes.

Paarthurnax's brief discussion with you about Alduin's fate was nice for closure, and while I'm actually glad the dragons are still around post-Alduin, overall it doesn't feel like too much actually changed, you know? At least gimme a kickass statue or something. Ideally one with a better generation systemic than Oblivion's.

(in all seriousness though, like I said above, some followup quests for each faction would have been nice; it's a bit jarring that ingame Paarthurnax technically just sits there)

Edited by Kyuukei

(in all seriousness though, like I said above, some followup quests for each faction would have been nice; it's a bit jarring that ingame Paarthurnax technically just sits there)

Dude, hes been sitting there since the first dragon wars ended lol

What I mean is, he said he had plans to go spread the Way of the Voice to more dragons but nothing seems to come of that ingame.