Tutorial: 3ds Max Skinned Meshes Into Game

Vannus

I'm a begginer in all this but I want to try some minor editing for start.

I'm trying to remove cape from nightingale but when I do that this is how it looks in the game :

http://www.dodaj.rs/f/1k/107/1soodFLp/tesv-2012-01-12-01-01-15.jpg

With this settings for import and export 3ds max crashes when I try to export .nif. Any simple solution or tut how to do that, or link for begginers?

It's your responsibility to ensure changes you make are valid: ensure the Skin has correct bone assignments and your UVW maps are good.

This is what I dont know how to do and its important couse when I export non editabble mesh its ok but when I edit it program crashes.Some lead for that?

Thanks

Edited by skyrim76

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically the BSDismemberskin modifier is why you would get a crash at export. If any faces are not assigned to one of the partitions, it'll crash. It will not update to any mesh editing you make under it, so if you edited the mesh in anyway under it, chances are it's no longer correctly set up. double check it and fix it, or just delete it and remake it.

I'm trying to remove cape from nightingale but when I do that this is how it looks in the game :

With this settings for import and export 3ds max crashes when I try to export .nif. Any simple solution or tut how to do that, or link for begginers?

It's your responsibility to ensure changes you make are valid: ensure the Skin has correct bone assignments and your UVW maps are good.

This is what I dont know how to do and its important couse when I export non editabble mesh its ok but when I edit it program crashes.Some lead for that?

Thanks

Hi I usually get this problem when the following happens :

you forgot to delete the exported lightning property and it remains there in the stack somewhere so the game doesn't knw what do do with it and gets theerror mark ...

when instead the dismemberment thing is missing I usually get CTD....

on a side note you want probably to know that .... after you remove the cape , you probably woudl do better to use the very same edition you did also for either the _0 or _1 version and scale it to fit the smaller or bigger shape , if you do the similar edition on the other mesh you may end with a different vertex order that will cause all sort of madness in morphed status characters...

Edited by PROMETHEUS_ts

I'm trying everything but with no luck, working in 3ds max for the first time and dont know anything but I'm going to learn. When I find solution I will let you know, maybe make my own tut. :whistling:

Somethimes its invisible, some times its purple freez model, somethimes like that in the picture.

English is not my native language so I dont understand everythig you're saying. :D

Thanks for replys.

Btw, if someone have time and remove cape from nigtingale it would be awesome to let us know how.

Edited by skyrim76

Thanks

For what you are trying to do, you'll be using the original skin and UVW maps so this won't affect you. I can't see the posted image so I don't know how to tell you to fix it. My question is, if all you're trying to do is remove the cape, why don't you just use a transparency to remove it? That takes about 5 minutes....or is this just a learning process.

Here it is in Imageshack, sometimes its invisible, somethimes its purple doll that moves with character, its not always like this. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/tesv20120112010115966cu.jpg/

Its learning process, this is just to see how it works, the first idea was to make dual cape. Everything that I do in 3ds came up messed up but when I import it and export without editing its normal so something I must do in editing, to save it somehow.

The big red triangle with white exclamation means the game can't find the mesh. Either you changed the file name and/or location or more likely you need to change the name of the NiNode from Scene Root to torso_0.nif or torso_1.nif

Purple tex would mean that the game can't find the texture. Invisable is usually from incorrect dismemberment or partitions numbered incorrectly such as "torso" should be changed to 32, etc. but also could be a number of other things.

Somethimes Nifskope cant open edited mesh, then I go back and edit it again to the point when it can be viewed in Nifskope but then its or invisible or with purple mesh in the game. I've tryed to import just torso_1 but 3ds then ask for "extract only skeleton" to be checked on extraction so I've extracted skeleton from game and put it into the folder where is my other original nifs, but its all the same.

I found on YT some tut with extra plugins (scripts) and I'll try that.

The important thing is that I want to learn 3ds now and I will start from the beggining thanks to this game, I just have to do this first, its give me a headache. :wallbash:

Numbers are all set right, I've checked several times.

Edited by skyrim76

Hi I am having an issue with the morphing :

I created two different meshes for right and left gauntlet on body _1 shape , I rigged skinned all fine export and ingame look fine ...

I import the lower body _0 and I readapt the vertices of the gauntlets on the new shape morphing them over ... export , load the game all fine on shape _0

3 the problem is that the intermediate levels get all messed up ...

I never had this problem befoure when I used the very same mesh morphed on the _0 shape ... why now it is messed up?

How can I do to fix this morphing?

Ok Edit:

I fixed by working in the nif file , I reordered the blocks in the same exact order and I fixed even one single letter difference in one of the naming of the _0 and _1 version , the difference consisted just in a capsed letter...

Edited by PROMETHEUS_ts

Ok I have another problem here , may be I am trying to do something that the engine cannot manage?

I took the torso of the body and I expanded a litle bit along the normals then added a warpaint alha texture as is showed ... all works fine in nif , but ingame ethe overlaying texture doesn't shows up any idea why?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4390/nifpaint.jpg