Irony of Post-War America

mkborgelt13

I do think the pre-war lifestyle of an employed middle class with discretionary income is gone. There is a small amount of people with an advantage over others through bartering caps or force, but I would call them "Capitalists," not bourgeois. The bourgeois is the group of people who work for the capitalists with discretionary income who are the driving force of consumerist economy, such as the Sole Survivor before the war. (i.e. middle class). part of the bourgeois is also "intellectual" professions, like artists and so on, which are in short supply.

Well there are plenty of those, except the bourgeois is the post war tend to work for an organization the usually deal with death. From Gun Runners, NCR, Diamond City Guards, to the Triggerman, they are what is considered in Fallout standard the middle class due to having a steady income that gives them disposable income (who wants a to go a Jet Party?!)

Speaking of which (not to hijack this thread) I always thought it would be fun to have a mod where you could impact the economy of the wasteland and a sub to the karma system.

Where in Fallout 4 you no longer have a Karma system might as well wait for modders to make a mod to simulate the problems of society you will create. The drug idea I had kicking around is make a certain type of drug (psycho, jet, etc) and you supply the wasteland. The negative of doing this is the more you make of that type of drug, the less they will be worth if you sell too much at one time. In order to have the price go back up, you need to either sell out of the area or wait couple of days until people need their fix again. In addition, flooding a certain area with a certain type of drugs, say you mass produce Psychos and send most of your shipment to Diamond City, the NPCs will start exhibiting the symptoms of psycho and become aggressive where the Diamond City security will "have to arrest them" in the same way they arrested that one bloke who pulled a gun (insert some kind of spoiler)

However, by creating a specific type of drug, you can earn enough points (affinity or some other type of measurement) to start branding a drug where you can sell for a higher value. These drugs you can still flood the market and will eventually but because they are branded, the time to wait till the price resets will be lowered. By doing this, you can turn your settlements into meph (I guess in this case Jet) factories having a caravan system of drug mules that will also earn caps. Coverting your settlement into a Jet Lab will increase the unhappiness of that settlement (due to long hours, fumes or whatever your role play needs can justify it.) Also if you sell drugs to your settlements, expect the same results to happen with the Diamond City example. This in turn will cause other drug barons to try and take you out of business by sending their gang to attack you personally or attack a settlement that is producing drugs. You in turn can "capture" (in the same way how you capture and extracted information from an actual Drug Mission in Game) to find where the gang hideout is and put them out of business. When taking over a gang hideout you can blow everyone's brains out and loot, find a drug formula they branded and make your brand, or find the head chemist and have him become a unique NPC boosting your drugs.

On the flip side you can try to be someone to tries to cleanse the Wasteland of drugs like a sudo Followers of the Apocalypse. You have your towns make drugs that cures addictions and try to assist people who do have addictions. (This also will bring fresh new faces into the settlement) This will give you artificial Karma points, but will make your settlements happy. The people who are not happy will be the Drug Barrons and they will send out people to try shutting you down. Same process, stop them, blow up base, etc.

Note: Will this mod be created? Probably not, but one can dream xD

Edited by ahnjd

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first part is understood. You were talking philosophically we get that... Or at least i do.

Artists? Short supply? I think you have to look at the raiders more. While it is sickening and disturbing many apear to put some artistic talent into that. We even have the under used Pickman and that vault 21(?) guy from new vegas out there. The later straight up designed the Strip with what he had... At figurative gun point but i digress. The thing is a lot of the artist who's work is show off is being deluted into madness. Also how about that guy who is arranging them bears? He's got some mad skills right there. Also the Mechanist and the antaganizor are freakin cosplayers in the wasteland!

The reason people are living in shacks comes from lack of measuring tools and no one wanting to get a hammer out to fix the issues... To be honest i am stunned no one has gotten a little bit better. I mean they did in the NCR. in fact it has been hinted at that the structural skills in the NCR are on par with early 1900s buildings.

Yes but Shady Sands hired you to help em out and were working on a barter system.

The settlements work like how the Amish farms do... I could explain it but the wall of text would be long. So go google it if you're intrested.

The concept of pre-war caches is fascinating. The former Enclave guy in Far Harbor mentions the Enclave getting pre-war fusion cores from some kind of storage facility.

Are the Forged actually melting down scrap or just playing around in the foundry?

It seems to be a bit of both. On terminals in other raider areas, you can find out that the Forged deal in metal with other raider groups. But they're also just plain obsessed with fire and treat that large forge where you find their leader as some sort of divine thing.

EDIT: I looked it up. In Dunwich Borers there are terminals that show the raiders there work for the Forged to supply them with metal. One of the named raiders there, Bedlam, is actually one of the Forged sent there to check up on production issues.

Edited by Wunderbot

The concept of pre-war caches is fascinating. The former Enclave guy in Far Harbor mentions the Enclave getting pre-war fusion cores from some kind of storage facility.

Are the Forged actually melting down scrap or just playing around in the foundry?

I always just assume their goofin off mostly but it is possible they are a bunch of homicidal black smiths... My gawd that actually would be kinda cool.

I wasn't considering the NCR when I posted, but Shady Sands when you first encounter it is similar to a Fallout 4 settlement. They even task you with protecting them.

We haven't been in NCR heartland as of yet. But going by their president still wearing a dirty suit like any wayward hobo, it can't be paradise. My bar tender makes a better appearance.

His suit could be dirty for a lot of reasons... Such as being in a dessert... And recently being near a vertibird that kicks up such sand.

I think it's more accurate to say that anarchy won the war. There is no law, no state, no system, no order of any kind beyond the individual settlement level. Might makes right is the law of the land and it's rule supersedes communism and capitalism alike. You take what you can get and keep what you can protect. Edited by JackTrenton

His suit could be dirty for a lot of reasons... Such as being in a dessert... And recently being near a vertibird that kicks up such sand.

Or just simply stylistic choices made by the designers of the game.

Or they were rushed in the development of the game by Bethesda and werent able to make a unique outfit for him.

Yes, the raiders are definitely "artistic," they make art which reflects their world and their mental state. I actually really enjoy the extra detail put into it. The impaled bodies and such are like cave paintings of the "new world,"

What I meant was, there is no academic/literary/art critic thing going on(Intelligentsia), it's free expression (which I think is better anyway, but that is different story). The "Intelligensia" was viewed as frivolous by communist party, who expunged and persecuted members of such a social organization. There is no group of people whose profession is to create and analyze art.

Yeah, the more I think about it, it's like the ideologies of two powerful nations clashed, and what is left after has traits of both, but is neither.

I think it's cool how the raiders have some kind of brutal commerce going on. And of course, the shipments we buy for our settlement are supposed to come from somewhere.

I'm surprised there aren't more buildings made of natural materials, like sun baked brick, etc. I'd rather have a nice adobe house over a rusty and rotten-wood shack any day.

I consider the operation of Amish farms as a form of communism (collectivism). I don't mean Josef Stalin-tier communism, more of the kind where people work together, using each other's skills, and bartering goods, more often sharing them.

Edited by mkborgelt13

Yes, the raiders are definitely "artistic," they make art which reflects their world and their mental state. I actually really enjoy the extra detail put into it. The impaled bodies and such are like cave paintings of the "new world,"

What I meant was, there is no academic/literary/art critic thing going on(Intelligentsia), it's free expression (which I think he better anyway, but that is different story). The "Intelligensia" was viewed as frivolous by communist party, who expunged and persecuted members of such a social organization. There is no group of people whose profession is to create and analyze art.

Yeah, the more I think about it, it's like the ideologies of two powerful nations clashed, and what is left after has traits of both, but is neither.

I think it's cool how the raiders have some kind of brutal commerce going on. And of course, the shipments we buy for our settlement are supposed to come from somewhere.

I'm surprised there aren't more buildings made of natural materials, like sun baked brick, etc. I'd rather have a nice adobe house over a rusty and rotten-wood shack any day.

Fair enough. Also i agree the sun baked brick thing is missing. Instead we get concrete bunker walls... Itd be cheaper to get old bricks and stick em together then that. Oh and less time consuming.

I do think the pre-war lifestyle of an employed middle class with discretionary income is gone. There is a small amount of people with an advantage over others through bartering caps or force, but I would call them "Capitalists," not bourgeois. The bourgeois is the group of people who work for the capitalists with discretionary income who are the driving force of consumerist economy, such as the Sole Survivor before the war. (i.e. middle class). part of the bourgeois is also "intellectual" professions, like artists and so on, which are in short supply.

A community doesn't become communist just because everyone's lacking in discretionary income. The whole choice between a capitalist and communist (or any other system) arises only once people are organized enough to pass laws and once there's enough wealth to have questions like "how do we distribute it (or allow it to be distributed)." These settlements never develop that far--or at least Bethesda never shows us that part of their development.

In short, forget it Jack, it's game mechanics.

Edited by RS13