Will this steam workshop type thing affect nexus?

bcooper56

@Scarsunseen

It's called Wrye Smash now.

@smogy

For CivV the mods are put into the mod folder in zips. The mod folder is in the Documents/My Games directory. When you press the install button on the game's main menu, it then extracts from the zips and puts it wherever it's suppose to go. So either way you will have a nice list of mods that are installed.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that it will only increase number of mods available for skyrim.

I would be heartbroken if that would the end of nexus sites. Lets pray that won't be the case. :D

For all you Paranoid Freedom Mavriks:

1. Put Steam in Offline Mode. Never change it. (You hate steam and Skyrim's patches why are you ever changing this..)

2. Always download from Nexus.

3. Stay the 1%

I really don't see why any of you are still complaining.. It seems a lot of bickering without any purpose.

Edited by Shawkab

1. Put Steam in Offline Mode. Never change it. (You hate steam and Skyrim's patches why are you ever changing this..)

3. Stay the 1%

I really don't see why any of you are still complaining.. It seems a lot of bickering without any purpose.

Ignorance is bliss.

3. Stay the 1%

Ignorance is bliss.

It seems to me that your quite intelligent but you seem a bit paranoid. If you take the proper precautions and if you have some know how none of the possible issues from steam will bother you.

Here is a few FAQ from CivV Steamworks.

Q. If I install a mod from a third party website, will Steam need to “validate” the mod in any way?

A. No. Mods will not be validated by Steam, and you will not need to switch steam to online mode in order to play a new mod.

Q. When Steam auto-patches Civilization V, will mods cease to function until they are updated for the new patch?

A. We do not review mods so we can’t speak to the effect patches may have on every mod’s functionality. At the same time, ensuring that our platform remains stable and backward-compatible is a priority. As always, as I get more info, I’ll update you.

Played and modded CivV, none of these concerns people are bringing up have any proof backing them, Steamworks is nothing but good. Unless you play it in a way that isn't legal.

Which all means that it is still up to players to be on top of their mod management, so besides texture packs it really isn't as simple as being "a push of a button away". Do your homework and backup your saves as always. I for one am still going to get my mods from the Nexus since I want to know exactly what is going where in my game files. That and I like being able to keep a nice folder full of the zipped files so I know just what I have installed.

But Civ 5 Doesn't use Steam workshop. I am just saying that it will be much simpler to keep track of mods and I don't have to worry about nudity mods popping up anymore. I honestly don't know what sort of person would use those.

I'm either paranoid or you're not reading the steam workshops terms and conditions.

Secondly we have talked about this exact thing for over a year now. If I am being paranoid it is because I knew BGS was looking at official mod distribution channels, I speculated it was Steam, it has happened, and I was right. Now the next part is that you all read what the workshop is designed for from the sales pitch to developers, aka micro transactions, Once the test case, ie Skyrim is run they will re pitch it to M$ and again try to get mods on the xbox for their next game, and that time implement the pay model. It's a long way off that happening sure I admit that. However Steam can charge for your mods anytime they like according to their TOS on the workshop.

ect

Edited by Ghogiel

I'm either paranoid or you're not reading the steam workshops terms and conditions.

Secondly we have talked about this exact thing for over a year now. If I am being paranoid it is because I knew BGS was looking at official mod distribution channels, I speculated it was Steam, it has happened, and I was right. Now the next part is that you all read what the workshop is designed for from the sales pitch to developers, aka micro transactions, Once the test case, ie Skyrim is run they will re pitch it to M$ and again try to get mods on the xbox for their next game, and that time implement the pay model. It's a long way off that happening sure I admit that. However Steam can charge for your mods anytime they like according to their TOS on the workshop.

ect

Then people still have the option to not post their mods on steam, if they make it steam exclusive you find a way around. Modders though wouldn't mind if they can collect a little cash from their nicer mods. you know the ones that take a huge amount of time and work to make.

Edit: Not saying steam would make this an option for cash flow to the modders, just saying they might if they do something like this.

Edited by RenownedWolfman

ect

Then people still have the option to not post their mods on steam, if they make it steam exclusive you find a way around. Modders though wouldn't mind if they can collect a little cash from their nicer mods. you know the ones that take a huge amount of time and work to make.

Edit: Not saying steam would make this an option for cash flow to the modders, just saying they might if they do something like this.

For now they have that option. What is happening is the first step in centralising and controlling distribution.

There might not be anyway around... obviously you can pirate anything just about, but your ck can be registered to your user account, your esps be linked to your account, and any tampering with that can be made against the EULA.

Edited by Ghogiel

ect

We have not even seen the thing yet. So far they have said that it will be free, and have not mentioned payment.