Skyrim is so generic.

agamer

I might have agreed some what, but the last line about oblivion being better in terms of th constant recycled generic ambient responses by NPCs? I must have been playing a different oblivion, I was playing the one where everyone sounded the same and always said the same thing. Edited by Ghogiel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but in reality it's a series of linear questlines wrapped in an action/exploration game

I dont understand your comment here.

Skyrim IS an action/exploration game, with some RPG spiced on. The world is open, the quests are all over. It really doesn't get more open than that. If you mean faction quest and all, then *gasp* Who knew progressing the main quest is linear!

RPG.

Role Playing Game: You play somebody else in another world.

I currently play a Nord Warrior in Skyrim.

I am playing another role, which got no preset given to me. I choose myself what to do, and when. Isn't that the definition of "Role Playing Game"? Or have the term changed the past 20 years?

Me confused :(

Hi, sorry I don't want to spoil your enjoyment or cause confusion. Like I said, Skyrim is a very good game, but it is quite shallow.

For example, I became archmage early in the game after a very short questline. Being archmage has had no consequence whatsoever on my character. I have a room in Winterhold college to store more stuff but that's it! Same with the Thieves and Brotherhood - maybe you'll get a few nice trinkets, but there is no bearing on your character's development in the world of Skyrim. Haven't finished the main quest yet but I believe this also has no effect on your characters fame or infamy. If nothing intersects, what's left? Hunting dear? Endless cave-scavenging?

Skyrim is touted as an RPG, but the almost total detachment from it's beautiful word challenges that description.

Don't get me wrong - I have played 70 hours and I had a lot of fun, but along the way I had to downgrade my expectations from the initial hype. I just thought that, after 5 years, the successes of Oblivion would be built upon, not dumbed-down.

Just an opinion.

Skyrim is touted as an RPG, but the almost total detachment from it's beautiful word challenges that description.

That's it. And in my book one of the few real critical flaws of the game. I have a lot of fun playing it, but I don't feel deatched from my day to day live when doing it. When playing Dragon Age, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas, the detachment was there. I virtually lost myself in the world.

So I too would opt for action game (a pretty good one) but not a real RPG.

How was Oblivion better?

Well, it wasn't. But Fallout 3 was in that aspect. One should think they'd took a leaf out of their own book. It's not written in stone, that quests and NPC interactions aren't allowed to be dynamic in Elder Scroll games.

I agree that the world doesn't change much in respect to your character's status/accomplishments, with I think, the exception of being a Thane. I noticed some changes in how people & guards regarded me then. So, yeah, it did strike an off chord with me after finishing the main quest and no one seemed to notice.

However, I'm trying to cast my mind back to Oblivion and Fallout and think of instances where my actions/status were recognized within the game world and can't think of any. I guess in Oblivion they make a statue of you at the end. Whatever. I've no doubt a mod will eventually address this issue in some way, but overall, it's not really that big of a deal for me as I'm still getting completely lost in the world and have sunk a crazy amount of hours playing the game and still look forward to playing each day.

I think that I would find it equally immersion breaking if everyone everywhere I went recognized me and recalled something I did. But then again, being a thane in a city where I have helped a significant portion of the populace and even performed some major tasks for the city itself one would think I would be a little bit more recognized for it.

I see lots of things I would like to see more of when I play, but I try to keep things in perspective. Could the devs have put more time into developing these things further? Sure, but not without giving up on developing something else. Maybe they did too many small things for the sake of quantity and not enough big things for the sake of quality. But I find that the quality of what has been put into the game is still pretty damn good, and just because I don't have npc's saying "hail to the Arch Mage" everywhere I go doesn't mean the game sucks as a result.

The biggest flaw in the game is obviously dialogue depth. I became a thane of whiterun, yet those damn guards still treat me like trash. I even have a house, for god's sake!

I encountered a stormcloak in the woods, and when I asked him about his beliefs he threw abuse at all elves, with no respect for me, a wood elf!

When I went to college of winterhold, I talked to this nord novice. I asked why he was into magic, to which he responded with a bit of family line stuff. Then this comes along "...magic is often considered a weapon of the weaker races like elves." I was like "Oh god not again"

But my frown turned upside down.

"No offence to you, of course." Was his last line.

I agree that the world doesn't change much in respect to your character's status/accomplishments, with I think, the exception of being a Thane. I noticed some changes in how people & guards regarded me then.

Not really.

"Hands to yourself sneak thief", "pick any lock and we gonna have a real problem" - these are the usual guard greetings I get as Thane of Whiterun in Whiterun. Kinda puts you in your place and reminds you that the game doesn't give a damn about your supposed status.

And things were different in Fallout and Fallout New Vegas. For once there was the Karma system that gained you entrance in certain places and barred the doors in others. And people remembered when you did something for them. Of course there were generic moments, but they were less obvious.