A 53 yr old's view of difficulty

jeters5

I see a number of posts requesting features to make the game more difficult than master. I'm not sure any additions at this time are valuable. Ultimately, game overhauls like FCOM for Oblivion will allow users to customize the challenge. Almost anything Bethesda implements will be modded anyways, and I prefer it that way.

In the meantime, I use master difficulty, don't make any items for myself, don't buy spells, limit potions, and wear cloth. I need surprise attacks, strategic retreats, occasional outright running, and I need to plan companion placement ahead of time or they screw up the whole offensive. I die occasionally when I make a mistake, but not so often that I feel I need much more debuffing. The final arrow in my quiver, should the game get routine, will be the console command to raise my apparent level, forcing me to face higher level opponents more frequently.

Let the modders offer everyone customized challenge in the future. Let's ask Bethesda to create a program that is more stable for mods. The 1.2 patch discussions and Steam concerns disturb me much more than difficulty.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am a mid-fifties player and I like the diversity that a game like this can offer. I enjoy having to think my strategy, learn by my mistakes and rely on my skills / talents rather then armor or some super enchanted weapon. I do not wear armor unless I really have to and then it is lite armor. I do learn from this game, and sometimes it is quite funny how things happen. I became a dragon snack one time, great fun...got a bit over confident on that one.

I do have issues with this game, Steam being a big one for me, but even so, I am enjoying getting lost in the game and it is worth what I paid for it. The modders will come out (and already have) with many great mods that will improve this game. I'm sure they will add something that will make the game more challenging for the serious hard core players. For myself, I am quite content.

Edited by BarefootWarrior

Fifty-eight recently, Skyrim was the birthday gift from my husband. I'm taking my time going through Skyrim, the goal being to play the game, not to beat the game. No mods, as I want to play the first time without them. A couple of ini adjustments, such as no more compass, to improve immersion. Spoilers are avoided. Oh, wait, not totally modless, the bear-spider one is necessary if I'm to enjoy the game.

I sorta have you all beat.... sorta...

I am 31,... however my father is 73 and flat out wont get off my DAMN COMPUTER!!!!

Should have never shown him the archery in the game. Now all he wants to do all day is go Virtual Hunting lol. :biggrin:

Nothing funnier then watching your father hunched over looking at the screen while trying to pick off a rabbit,... to have a dragon come plop down infront of him and you hear.

"I think I need a bigger bow!" :laugh:

Fifty-eight recently, Skyrim was the birthday gift from my husband. I'm taking my time going through Skyrim, the goal being to play the game, not to beat the game. No mods, as I want to play the first time without them. A couple of ini adjustments, such as no more compass, to improve immersion. Spoilers are avoided. Oh, wait, not totally modless, the bear-spider one is necessary if I'm to enjoy the game.

Wait... You remove the compass for immersion but replace spiders with crazy T-Pose bears? :P

Being scared of spiders must suck!

I have you all beat, I'm 28 and have boundless energy, dynamism, my own hips and a vibrant libido :P

lol only kidding, I think it's great to see another generation gaming, and it's a mark of Skyrims quality that it's good enough to appeal to a more wizened and informed crowd. Hope the mediums still good enough for me to play when I'm the age of a fine wine.

As to the difficulty, Master is hard enough, it's skewed off in many places/creatures, but the mathematical formula are fine, it's just the AI that makes it laughable easy.

Edited by neiljwd

Hmm, it seems that I am kind of "junior", being only 46 in real life :)

For me, the default difficulty is ideal. I do not need over powered bandits, monsters and bosses. But I am looking forward for some mods which add the "natural difficulty" to the game. Things like mandatory eating (and hunting for meat), drinking, sleeping etc.

I am also looking forward for some kind of decent "camping" mod. You know, when I am travelling somewhere (I am not using fast travel) and evening comes, it will be nice to start campfire, cook some meals for me and my companion, build the tent with bedroll, maybe alternate nightwatch with my companion each two hours etc.