A 53 yr old's view of difficulty

jeters5

@ darkjedi73200

Nice post bro, that last part made me lol.

Some advice: don't show him any of the archery mods and/or tweaks... the one's that make your arrows fly much more naturally (speed, pitch, they don't disappear in the distance, etc) otherwise you'll be really screwed.

If it weren't for mods...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who did you think invented computer games? The current crop of young players? Actually, it was us elder gamesters who started playing long before many of you kiddies were born. :tongue:

We are the fogies that made gaming possible. We are actually glad to see so many kids picking up our old hobby. :thumbsup:

I made my first mod on a game called 'Space War' on a IBM 360 mainframe in 1979. It was written in Fortran. It took me several days to make a change allowing a player to change the gravity constant used by the game. (four lines of code and a subroutine call) It took 6 hours or more to test each attempt on that beast. Games had a very low priority in the que. Everything was done in batch mode and there was no such thing as real time computing.

Current age 65 and still playing. 8)

Hmm, the first game I wrote was the "Lunar Landing" for HP-41C calculator in 1982 (?).

Shortly after that, I got the ZX-81 computer with 16KB RAM and I wrote the "StarTrek" game for it. The game idea was copied from game written for TRS-80 or similar computer. NIce big universe (8x8x8 cube), letter "E" on screen was the Enterprise spaceship, there was Klingons and Enterprise was able to fire phasers and photon torpedoes. :)

64 here and played lots of pc games since retirement, WoW,Skyrim atm,Gran Turismo,all the Total War games and others I forget. I can still smash the pvp opposition with my old horde warrior in wow and Skyrim is a bit too easy so far following the Companions quests,,,werewolves ftw !

After Crystal Palace's win over Man U I might have to fire up Football Manager 2012 to give the Eagles another run.

Edited by Clemmo47

well, i guess i'm one of the young ones here. about 2 months from birthday number 28.

i play on master. (mainly because i want to see dragons eating people once in a while, not just chomping on them then tossing them about lol)

i do find it a bit difficult at times; however, i do like to smith my own armor & weapons, and upgrade & enchant them as well. i like hearing "i doubt anyone in skyrim could make a better enchantment.". i take pride in my fine armor, blades & enchantments.

it doesn't really bother me that with good armor & weapons it gets easier. i mean in real life if you got better equipment it should make things easier right?

if i'm a wimp for wearing a suit of legendary enchanted dragonscale armor, and swinging enchanted legendary deadric swords ( two of em'), well so be it. call me driving miss daisy if you wish. (I take it kindly if you didn’t)

46 years young here and started my gaming on a Dec PDP-11 in 1981. The memory of playing "Adventure" (Colossal Cave) on an £80,000 pound mini computer (back then) still brings a wry smile to my face.

Like the OP and the other 'previous gen' peeps here (did I just see an IBM 360 mentioned!), I too can happily skip any and all temptation to make things easier in this game.

PS. If there's one thing I've adhered to during these past 30 years of gaming, it's to turn off any automatic updates to them if humanly possible. It's scarily funny how often the reason for doing so has a habit of repeating itself it would seem...

Edited by HackerSlasher

This fifty year old is in the first age group that have gone to work and worked with computers for twenty years or more VoltDude, many of us are pretty computer literate.

Yay for the old farts club!

Heh...yep, same here. I remember my first one transistor radio, it was a Tonex. While I was in broadcast, I had to learn how make the transition to digital technology, we had to make digital technology work with linear..I mean tubes, we called it hybrid technology. I still have my old Atari 2600, it still works, and my TI-994A computer. Yes, we old farts are much more computer literate then some younger folks give us credit for. Sometimes, I wish i didn't know...LOL!

I have worked with computers for twenty years too. The first system I learned on was Wang system that had eight inch floppies to boot up on, the disk drive sounded like a machine gun going off. Now I build my own systems and work in Graphic Design and learning 3D modeling.

got a bit off topic here, sorry, but it made me laugh.

But I appreciate the sentiment anyway. :tongue:

I'm 58, so I'm a member of that exclusive club, too! :thumbsup: My first computer was an Apple II with a DOS operating system and floppy disks circa 1981. Remember the green print on a black screen? Never did much game playing until Myst came out--shoot, I think I still have it around here somewhere . . . although I don't think I have anything left that can run it. Morrowind got me hooked, then Oblivion, and now Skyrim!

Edited by FastBlackCat

Um...the ages here kinda...scare me

One day, before you know it, you shall be old and wonder "How did all those years just fly by?"

That should scare you more than anything.

Tip from an "older" person. Do something with your life before you get too old to be able to do it. :thumbsup: