This is the site feedback/questions section

Dark0ne

I've been having a problem with the Nexus Mods site auto-refreshing at random times between refreshing (so I sometimes get a chance to actually click on something to go there, such as Files or Images). This auto-refresh brings up new advertisements each time with makes it harder to avoid clicking on them when trying to click something else and the page refreshes before you can try to avoid it.

Sometimes it eventually stops refreshing (the time between the start of the refresh problem to when it settles down seems to be random), but clicking to another page, going back to a previous page, etc. restarts the auto-refresh madness.

It started with the WoW border ads, but this bug continues to this day.

Edited by Zentari

I've been having a problem with the Nexus Mods site auto-refreshing at random times between refreshing (so I sometimes get a chance to actually click on something to go there, such as Files or Images). This auto-refresh brings up new advertisements each time with makes it harder to avoid clicking on them when trying to click something else and the page refreshes before you can try to avoid it.

Sometimes it eventually stops refreshing (the time between the start of the refresh problem to when it settles down seems to be random), but clicking to another page, going back to a previous page, etc. restarts the auto-refresh madness.

It started with the WoW border ads, but this bug continues to this day.

I started using Microsoft Internet Explorer again. Well at least for viewing Nexus pages. Seems to be more stable than Chrome.

I've been having a problem with the Nexus Mods site auto-refreshing every second, I sometimes get a chance to actually click on something to go there, such as files or images, but it's almost impossible to download something because the page auto-refreshes before you can try to do it.

So I would love to buy a premium membership, but my credit card includes my middle name, and there are no fields in the billing information or card information screen that allow me to include my middle name. I can't imagine I'm the only person on earth with their middle name on their card. Why isn't this an option anywhere?

Just some information that appears to be related to the problems many of us are experiencing with the site "refreshing" rapidly or continuously.

I use Firefox with the "NoScript" extension. I get the ads and have full functionality, but only need to permit six sites in order to do so. Yet "NoScript" informs me each load of a Nexus Mods site page is trying to access greater than 50 other sites (averaging 2-3 scripts per site) each time. If any of those sites has a communication problem, the page gets hung "waiting on data" until it times out. If several get hung, the page never finishes loading, which often causes scrolling problems. Both issues can cause a tab to appear to be "refreshing".

As only 6 sites are actually needed to display the page (including ads), the remainder seems to be the result of each ad site (and it's own various service providers) running various analytic scripts. But they are using our PCs to do this, rather than their own resources. The result is Nexus appears to be "sluggish".

Here are the results of six page loads (different mod pages) accessed during the same session, in fairly rapid order but waiting for each page to finish loading before moving on, by number of sites and total number of scripts. I have seen highs of over 100 sites and over 300 scripts. The entire process took roughly 10 minutes in the early morning hours of the Eastern USA.
96/296
78/149
86/159
77/153
77/141
84/150

Not only are all these "extraneous" sites contributing to poor site performance, they are potential malware vectors. Every additional site accessed is one that might be infected, and spreading to not only the sites using their service, but all the workstations being provided ads. Nexus can't control what services an ad provider utilizes, but it can look into such metrics in choosing a provider.

-Dubious-

I would expect this issue has already been described but I haven't seen anything about it .........

Since yesterday every download I've attempted has returned a zero byte file. The issue continues today as well. I've tried two different browsers (Pale Moon and Chrome) with the same result, hence my conclusion is that the issue is server related.

FWIW

Getting frequent page redirects when attempting to browse the Nexus, all ad-based, taking me to "get rich quick" nonsense and "download this not-at-all suspicious tool to clean your PC!" type websites. This is incredibly frustrating as it is impacting my ability to use the site, since I have to hit the back button to get to what I actually wanted to look at in the first place. Sometimes hitting the stop button on page load stops this from happening, sometimes not. I'd love to provide info on what ads were on the page, but since I get redirected as soon as the page has finished loading, before I even get a chance to get oriented, I can't.

I really want to allow ads on Nexus, since I want you guys to get something and I don't have the money to spare to purchase any level of subscription, but this issue has forced me to remove the site from my whitelist in uBlock, just so I can browse the site.

Edited by Idsertian