This is the site feedback/questions section

Dark0ne

It is allowed to upload a translated file of a mod without asking right? And if that's the case, is it allowed to upload translated files which aren't originally in Nexus? per example: the original file is in Bethesda.net

You need to ask for permission

ohhh look say something bad and it can't be posted

Did you read the Terms of Service? Did you pay attention to the limits on comments about the mods people choose to offer for free which others are then free to use, or not?

The Number One Rule about mod comments on the Nexus is: "If you don't like it, don't use it. But pass in silence."

Hello I am making an addon for sim settlements. I have a question about the DLCs, staying in the clear in terms of the copyright rules. I am going to use some pieces from contraptions/wasteland workshop so of course my file will list them as required(it will probably say all dlc required because i tend to forget where everything came from, I don't remember what each dlc added anymore). Normally for a user who doesn't have the required DLCs the specific meshes will be purple, I own all DLCs so I don't think about it that much. But I realized that with at least one of the scaffold pieces, Bethesda re-used the texture from a vanilla one for larger square piece, they simply duplicated the geometry and adjusted UV map to make it a standard square piece from the base half piece. Hence, the piece will actually work correctly even for a non DLC owner. I haven't looked closely at the other pieces but i assume it is the same for those.

The usual thing to do when making an addon is to duplicate references that were used, this way if the user uninstalls Sim Settlements as well as the addon itself the pieces won't get left behind. But I am not sure if this would be okay since it is a mesh added by the DLC so I am worried I could be in trouble if I use this mesh in my mod. I can substitute it for a vanilla one or just use 2 half pieces but wanted to ask so I know if & when it comes up again. Or if it happened without my knowledge like I only noticed this when both pieces were side by side in the CK, "hey they reused the same texture!" and thought maybe people will think this isn't cool if they're non-DLC owners but the building appeared as normal anyway. I am concerned since it could have been missed as I was thinking about how I wanted the building to look and I actually forgot the piece was from the DLC, if I was going fast I probably wouldn't have noticed. I know it is against the rules if for example a Far Harbor/Nuka World mesh would be used and the mod also includes the DLC textures, but what about those DLC meshes that repurposed vanilla game textures meaning they will actually work correctly for you even without owning any of the DLC?

I would post pics but image posts aren't working for me.

If I am understanding you correctly...

If it is a DLC item then to use it you must make your mod require the DLC for it to work. However if the mesh used is EXACTLY the same as vanilla you can use the mesh as long as you do not use the DLC texture or any other change the DLC created.

Otherwise you need to make your mod dependant on the DLC.

I hope this helps.

If I am understanding you correctly...

If it is a DLC item then to use it you must make your mod require the DLC for it to work. However if the mesh used is EXACTLY the same as vanilla you can use the mesh as long as you do not use the DLC texture or any other change the DLC created.

Otherwise you need to make your mod dependant on the DLC.

I hope this helps.

My understanding is that the scaffold piece mesh I am using was modified but they re-used the same texture. They took a rectangular piece from vanilla, duplicated geometry to make it square and adjusted uv to make it all blend(I think must have mirrored the texture then added frame to edge rather than middle)

I will state All DLC required, but I noticed that with this piece it will render correctly even without the workshop DLC. Therefore a user might think I've packaged dlc contents.

Edited by fftfan

Yes it might render, I don't mod F4 so I can't answer why that is (except that you have referenced the mesh or a copy thereof in your mod and simply turning off the DLC will still allow it to be seen since turning off and deleting the DLC and all its content are two different beast.) However, making your mod dependant on the DLC will through your .esp or whatever they are calling them now (lol) will make your mod not function in full and possibly if one tries to run it without the DLC the game may not run.

Since the mesh is changed you have to make the mod dependant on the DLC not just say it is needed.

Yes it might render, I don't mod F4 so I can't answer why that is (except that you have referenced the mesh or a copy thereof in your mod and simply turning off the DLC will still allow it to be seen since turning off and deleting the DLC and all its content are two different beast.) However, making your mod dependant on the DLC will through your .esp or whatever they are calling them now (lol) will make your mod not function in full and possibly if one tries to run it without the DLC the game may not run.

Since the mesh is changed you have to make the mod dependant on the DLC not just say it is needed.

I see, that is true that missing dependency will cause crash on load. Then at least if the user circumvents that by editing to remove the dependency, at least it isn't my fault.

Edited by fftfan

That is correct. And what people do in their own private game is not the concern of The Nexus.

Good luck with your mod. Have fun!

Excellent thank you! I got 2 buildings done so far, working on the 3rd though gotta decorate them still. I find decorating is hard so that'll take me the longest. The other addons do set the bar high in this regard. One less thing to worry about will certainly help, have a nice day.